Toups

The Tennis Thread

6 minutes ago, DramatistDreamer said:

Vera Zvonareva (remember her?) won all of her qualifier matches to get into the main draw at Wimbledon.

I saw that!  Good for her, but Vera's collapses and crying were far more interesting than her tennis ever could be!  

21 minutes ago, DramatistDreamer said:

Vera Zvonareva (remember her?) won all of her qualifier matches to get into the main draw at Wimbledon.

As did Bouchard, I saw. Lisicki, the other former finalist, lost her first match in qualies.

I just saw Wozniacki beat Barty in Eastbourne, which is interesting because grass is by far her worst surface. And Kukushkin upset Kyle Edmund, who had just beaten Andy Murray.

A glamour shot from two great tennis survivors:

Edited by Faulkner

Djokovic is going to play Laver Cup as part of Team Europe, it has been announced.

Also, Del Potro will play for Team World:

Edited by Faulkner

Maybe Dusan just isn’t great on grass, but Fed is looking in epic form right now. He’s dropped Nike (surrendering his RF logo, which they own) for Uniqlo in a reported 10-year, $300 million+ plus deal. I know athletes can still be valuable past their active years, but how many of those does he intend to play? I’m assuming at least through the Tokyo Olympics in 2020.

Ugh, Sloane is in a deep hole against Donna Vekic, and Venus is struggling in early games against Larsson. I have more faith in Venus to switch to another gear, but neither have played since the French, right?

Edited by Faulkner

Venus is really struggling. She’s taken a couple of nasty spills, and the serve is gone. She’s dropped the first set to Johanna Larsson, who has never won a match at Wimbledon.

The hunky American qualifier Michael Mmoh has taken Gilles Muller to five sets.

3 minutes ago, Soapsuds said:

Wow to Berdych dropping to #55 in the world and could drop further. So far Wimbledon has been a bore.

LOL it’s just started. I will say Coric has been disappointing in this Medvedev match, given what he just accomplished at Halle.