Toups

The Tennis Thread

23 minutes ago, Soapsuds said:

I don't understand the Cecchinato loss. I thought for sure Goffin would win. He hasn't played that much tennis to be that tired. He hasn't looked right since his eye injury.

The bottom half of the men's draw is on schedule so they really don't have to play till Wednesday with a Friday semis schedule. The women's draw could miss a day or two since they are on schedule too minus the one match. It's the men's top half of the draw that would be affected.

Just a shame that we have to wait until 2020 for Chatrier to get a roof, but better late than never.

I was thinking about how rain would impact the players. The damp, heavy courts could deaden a bit of Nadal’s topspin, but this isn’t his first time at the rodeo.

Edited by Faulkner

3 minutes ago, Faulkner said:

Just a shame that we have to wait until 2020 for Chatrier to get a roof, but better late than never.

I was thinking about how rain would impact the players. The damp, heavy courts could deaden a bit of Nadal’s topspin, but this isn’t his first time at the rodeo.

All the courts would need is lights to play late during rain delays. They don't even have freakin lights....just awful....

There is a rumor going around that Serena may withdraw from her match today due to an arm injury.  Having watched her doubles match and seeing that 3rd set bagel (the first Team Williams has had in 20 years), it's not hard to deduce that something is up.

11 hours ago, Faulkner said:

I remember when people thought the US Open would be the last to get a roof.

6 minutes ago, DramatistDreamer said:

There is a rumor going around that Serena may withdraw from her match today due to an arm injury.  Having watched her doubles match and seeing that 3rd set bagel (the first Team Williams has had in 20 years), it's not hard to deduce that something is up.

An announcement is imminent 

Sharapova is lucky to get that W/O. Let’s go, Muguruza! 

Edited by Faulkner

2 minutes ago, DramatistDreamer said:

I wonder whether the press conference will be live-streamed?

They are showing it now on TC. She says it is a pectoral muscle issue, and it has impacted her serve. She says she started to feel it during the Goerges match, and she tried different tapings during the doubles match. She says she’s getting an MRI to see if she’ll be ready for Wimbledon. She is disappointed because she’d been playing well.

Edited by Faulkner

Just now, Faulkner said:

They are showing it now on TC.

Oh, I don't have TC. Oh well, someone will post it online soon.

Sloane and Madison better get ready for more scrutiny, lol.  No more flying under the radar.

Tsurenko retired two games in, so the Muguruza/Sharapova quarterfinal is set.

Maria has beaten Garbiñe all three times they’ve played, including once at RG, but they haven’t played since 2014, well before her Garbiñe’s big rise.

Edited by Faulkner