Toups

The Tennis Thread

Ain’t it something that of all the “top” ATP players, Kei Nishikori is the only one who had a straightforward victory today? He *stays* playing five setters, even when he doesn’t need to (letting inferior players into matches due to lapses in focus).

I heard that the Fognini-Edmund match was bizarre. Lots of momentum shifts and MTOs, but Fognini came out the winner.

Was Karolina really that bad against Sharapova? That scoreline 😯

Seems like the Serena/Maria match is looking almost certain (still awaiting the Serena/Goerges match), and many are scared that this will be Maria’s best chance at a victory over Serena, who is struggling with movement, in 14 years. We do know Serena always brings it 500% against Maria, form be damned, but I would hate to see the doper gloating smugly over finally beating Serena in almost 20 tries.

Mugu is really rolling this tournament. Giorgi put up a fight, but Sloane came through.

7 minutes ago, ChitHappens said:

Karolina was horrible!  Quite embarrassing and made SugarPimp's job look super easy. 

So it wasn’t just Maria playing out of her mind. 

I saw Kontaveit beat Kvitova in two tiebreaks. Now she’s a dark horse.

Monfils had FOUR match points against Goffin just now and just Monfils’d them away.

Nah, SugarPimp was really basic today.  KP just never found her serve or game.  Oh well...

Monfils is a clown and I don't enjoy watching him play!

10 minutes ago, ChitHappens said:

Nah, SugarPimp was really basic today.  KP just never found her serve or game.  Oh well...

Monfils is a clown and I don't enjoy watching him play!

Such a waste. I remember that USO match in which he had Fed on the ropes and just didn’t take it seriously enough to go for the win, which he had in hand.

^^

I love that quote: Today, you can get the attention, endorsements and compensation of a legend, without ever actually being one.

That is so true, and it doesn't apply only to tennis....

2 minutes ago, DramatistDreamer said:

At least Monfils didn't lose to Cecchinato. Goffin, WTF.

Lots of people pissed about the Cecchinato win on Twitter (due to the match fixing allegations that have followed him). Goffin looked completely out of sorts.

Great draw for Novak, though.

Just now, Faulkner said:

Lots of people pissed about the Cecchinato win on Twitter (due to the match fixing allegations that have followed him). Goffin looked completely out of sorts.

Great draw for Novak, though.

I guess Cecchinato decided not to take a dive today.  Goffin is tired, he had a tough battle yesterday and Goffin is not the biggest, nor is he the best conditioned player out there.  It was always going to be a tough turnaround.

Literally the rest of the week looks awful weather-wise in Paris (and I mean through the end of the tournament). Tomorrow and Tuesday look particularly bad. I wonder if we’ll see any play before Wednesday.

Edited by Faulkner

I don't understand the Cecchinato loss. I thought for sure Goffin would win. He hasn't played that much tennis to be that tired. He hasn't looked right since his eye injury.

6 hours ago, Faulkner said:

Literally the rest of the week looks awful weather-wise in Paris (and I mean through the end of the tournament). Tomorrow and Tuesday look particularly bad. I wonder if we’ll see any play before Wednesday.

The bottom half of the men's draw is on schedule so they really don't have to play till Wednesday with a Friday semis schedule. The women's draw could miss a day or two since they are on schedule too minus the one match. It's the men's top half of the draw that would be affected.