Jump to content
Toups

The Tennis Thread

Recommended Posts

That was an amazing match. When Fed broke to go up 5-4 in the third, I thought it was over. But just like when La La Land “won” the Oscar, something told me, “Keep watching. There’s a twist ahead.” Thank heavens I did. Thrilled for this guy! Absolutely thrilled at his guts and belief.

 

Lame that ESPN didn’t air the trophy ceremony unless I missed something.

 

Interesting stat:

 

 

 

Edited by Faulkner

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

To Roger......

 

tenor.gif?itemid=5557505

12 minutes ago, Faulkner said:

That was an amazing match.

 

 

 

It was. It had everything and more. It had great game playing and drama. The best match I have seen in a long time. The Borna vs Roger wasn't too bad either.

13 minutes ago, Faulkner said:

That was an amazing match. When Fed broke to go up 5-4 in the third, I thought it was over. But just like when La La Land “won” the Oscar, something told me, “Keep watching. There’s a twist ahead.” Thank heavens I did. Thrilled for this guy! Absolutely thrilled at his guts and belief.

 

Lame that ESPN didn’t air the trophy ceremony unless I missed something.

 

Interesting stat:

 

 

 

I thought it was over too when Roger broke and I started listening to some music. And yes ESPN didn't show the ceremony because of basketball coverage.....Good thing is that TC will rebroadcast the match later today and will show the ceremonies.

 

Lawd Sock didn't beat anyone to win Paris....LOL....and hasn't done squat since.....

 

Delpo is closing in on #4 ranking held by Sasha.....

 

I wonder if either will withdraw next week....

 

 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
3 minutes ago, Soapsuds said:

To Roger......

 

tenor.gif?itemid=5557505

It was. It had everything and more. It had great game playing and drama. The best match I have seen in a long time. The Borna vs Roger wasn't too bad either.

Absolutely. I don’t root for Roger, but his matches are dazzling displays when he’s tested. I always get annoyed with the loudly partisan crowds who follow RF, but Delpo handled it well.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
47 minutes ago, Faulkner said:

Osaka’s prize for winning Indian Wells?

 

Serena in the first round of Miami.

Glad she won. I only caught the first set but DVR the rest. It's too bad she got Serena in the first round. She is up to #22 in the world now. I wonder if she will pull out and just rest up for the clay court season instead of taking on Serena in the first round??

2 minutes ago, Faulkner said:

Absolutely. I don’t root for Roger, but his matches are dazzling displays when he’s tested. I always get annoyed with the loudly partisan crowds who follow RF, but Delpo handled it well.

Delpo had the right to complain. They were yelling double fault right before he began his motion to serve. And they kept clapping after he missed his first serve. Roger didn't help matters by being upset that Delpo was complaining and by him cheering when Delpo made a mistake. Roger was acting like a brat and showed poor sportsmanship IMO. Roger was completely rattled the entire match and his bf kept standing on ever point.

 

At least Delpo knew how Thiem felt in the US Open last year when the Argentina fans would clap Thiem's first serve faults. Thiem kept cool during the whole thing but IW has the worst fans.....even worse than Miami.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

That was such an intense and entertaining match!! 

Those guys bring out the best in each other on court, and the worst in each other in temperament!:lol: 

I was glad to see someone who struggled with injuries and multiple surgeries, the way Juan did and manage to make it back as a competitor and win big!  

It is hard to believe that there won't be another title for Roger to win somewhere.  There's literally another tournament around the corner, in a few days.  Although I do wonder whether Juan will try for the famous "Sunshine Double".

 

@Faulkner ESPN's online app actually streamed the trophy ceremony. I already watch online, this was how I found out.  It's weird because I checked before the match began, and I swear, it wasn't on the schedule.

Edited by DramatistDreamer

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
42 minutes ago, DramatistDreamer said:

That was such an intense and entertaining match!! 

Those guys bring out the best in each other on court, and the worst in each other in temperament!:lol: 

I was glad to see someone who struggled with injuries and multiple surgeries, the way Juan did and manage to make it back as a competitor and win big!  

It is hard to believe that there won't be another title for Roger to win somewhere.  There's literally another tournament around the corner, in a few days.  Although I do wonder whether Juan will try for the famous "Sunshine Double".

 

@Faulkner ESPN's online app actually streamed the trophy ceremony. I already watch online, this was how I found out.  It's weird because I checked before the match began, and I swear, it wasn't on the schedule.

Ugh. Thanks. I suppose ESPN had a hard out on their linear channel.

 

I think Roger’s always going to be a threat in this depleted field, but I am curious as to how he’ll schedule clay season. He’s had an amazing 2018, but he was showing major wear and tear during the North American hardcourt season last year. And that was without playing a single match on clay. He knows his body better than anyone else, but every year he’s on the tour and playing deep into tournaments, he’s going to have to make some difficult choices. This might be his last best shot at a second Roland Garros, but what will he sacrifice down the line if he decides to play the French?

 

Miami ladies main draw. Azarenka plays Cici Bellis, and Bethanie Mattek-Sands plays her first match back against Cornet:

 

 

 

Edited by Faulkner

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
8 minutes ago, Faulkner said:

Ugh. Thanks. I suppose ESPN had a hard out on their linear channel.

 

I think Roger’s always going to be a threat in this depleted field, but I am curious as to how he’ll schedule clay season. He’s had an amazing 2018, but he was showing major wear and tear during the North American hardcourt season last year. And that was without playing a single match on clay. He knows his body better than anyone else, but every year he’s on the tour and playing deep into tournaments, he’s going to have to make some difficult choices. This might be his last best shot at a second Roland Garros, but what will he sacrifice down the line if he decides to play the French?

After today's deflating loss he won't play the clay court season. There are too many good clay court players out there that can beat him.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
11 minutes ago, Soapsuds said:

After today's deflating loss he won't play the clay court season. There are too many good clay court players out there that can beat him.

That’s my guess too. The possibility of a Nadal-less RG might be tempting, but I think Fed is smarter than that.

 

The interesting thing: if the Big Five are either skipping or still recovering from injury and Thiem isn’t 100 percent, who becomes the favorite at RG? Delpo? Chung? PCB?

Edited by Faulkner

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, Faulkner said:

That’s my guess too. The possibility of a Nadal-less RG might be tempting, but I think Fed is smarter than that.

 

The interesting thing: if the Big Five are either skipping or still recovering from injury and Thiem isn’t 100 percent, who becomes the favorite at RG? Delpo? Chung? PCB?

There hasn't been any news on Nadal.  As for Thiem he is expected to miss 3 to 4 weeks. He hopes to be back by Monte Carlo tourney. If he can't make it he doesn't have too much points to defend at Miami or MC. I think rest will help him out and really give him a shot at the French Open this year and win it all. I am hoping he doesn't drop too much in the rankings with Kevin Anderson around 400 points behind him. But Kevin would have to reach the finals in Miami to surpass him in the rankings and David Goffin has too many points to defend in Miami and MC to pass him too. So I think Thiem is safe at #7 after dropping a spot to Delpo this week.

Edited by Soapsuds

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Watching Tennis Channel coverage of the match and it's at 3-3 in the 2nd set tiebreaker when the fans start yelling double fault. After that Del Po loses the point and complains about the double fault chants. And at 6-5 with Roger serving...he thinks he's aced him only to lose to a challenge and the crowd goes crazy and Roger still serves and spits out a terrible serve and then he starts yelling at the umpire for not quieting the crowd down to which umpire Murphy says why didn't you wait till they got quiet....LOL.....dumb ass Roger....LOL

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
52 minutes ago, Soapsuds said:

The Miami draw is out....

 

http://www.atpworldtour.com/en/scores/current/miami/403/draws

 

For some reason the draw seems so lackluster.....

 

And Novak is playing ....lawd....he looked downright awful this past week. I thought for sure he'd pull out.

That is a meh draw for sure. I don’t get Novak’s thinking, but Schwartzman will be a good test to see where his game is. He does need match play. Nishikori and Kyrgios are also playing, I see.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Please sign in to comment

You will be able to leave a comment after signing in



Sign In Now

  • Recently Browsing   0 members

    No registered users viewing this page.



×
×
  • Create New...