The Tennis Thread

• Members

if she feels it's not working for her (and the precipitous drop in ranking seems to indicate as much) then that alone would be enough reason for a change.  After eleven years things can get stale. 

A few people people were discussing the fact that he'd said some negative things over the years (which I interpreted as his impatience with the constraints of her auto-immune illness) which made me think that, perhaps were it not for the Sjogren's and the need for stability, she might have made the change years ago.

If she got tired of the situation, she is free to make the change.  Nobody's obligated to keep a coach on for what remains of their career. Almost nobody keeps the same coach for half their career.  People are acting so surprised but even players who were considered to be 'slumping' or at the end of career made coaching changes.

I don't remember all this discussion when Pete Sampras had three different coaches in the final two years of his career. Everyone just believed that he was doing what he believed was best to squeeze whatever he could out of his game for whatever time he had left in his career. 

Maybe for Venus, the risk is worth it, rather than to sleepwalk for the remainder of her career with a situation that has gone stale.  She's already gone through the uncertainty of having an undiagnosed illness for five years, so she probably looks at uncertainty in a totally different way than many others.

• Replies 12.5k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• Soapsuds

• Faulkner

• DramatistDreamer

• ChitHappens

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

• Members

Yeah, but Venus isn't your average 38 year old. 

And being stalled for two years, not being able to get that 50th singles title must be driving her mad enough to want to punch a clown by now.  She's probably been quietly seething about that one.  We don't see her emotions, which she keeps very close to her vest.

Even Oracene once admitted to wondering where her thoughts are, so inscrutable is Venus. The woman is like a Sphinx!

• Members

Venus was very loyal to David and I thought she should've changed coaches years ago even though she had the great year where she made a lot of major finals with him as coach. But that was more her than David....

Edited by Soapsuds

• Members

The article definitely seems to present a perspective that seems to favor Gimelstob but I bet they believe that they are being fair.  I read a previous article in the same blog and was even more slanted toward Gimelstob than this one.

I don't expect much in the way of even-handed coverage in any U.S. based sports blog/magazine/journal. These normally outspoken American tennis journos seem particularly 'shy' about going near this story.

• Members

Tennis Now has an article out. It has almost the same thing but some new info about how Justin put video cameras in his ex wife's bedroom and recorded the sex she had with other men and threatened to show them to their son.....I tell you Justin is one sick puppy

http://www.tennisnow.com/News/2018/December/Gimelstob-Pleads-Not-Guilty-in-Halloween-Assault.aspx