The Tennis Thread

• Members

I had no problems with her initial comments to Ramos that maybe he thought she was cheating, but she wasn't and she just wanted to clear the air. But smashing her racquet and continuing to carry on back and forth with him? Yes, she should be held responsible. Part of being an adult and a good sport is keeping your emotions in check. It's not fair to Naomi and she has nobody to blame but herself for those actions she chose to take.

Why is Serena not responsible for Naomi but Ramos is responsible for every umpire that has officiated Nadal? Come on now, it's double standards.

Serena made Naomi's first slam all about herself and it does make me think less of her. But then again my opinions on her don't hurt her one bit.

Let me step back for a minute though because I realize I have cheered on Djokovic's bad behavior in the past. I don't excuse her smashing her racquet. There is something to be said for treating the men the same as the women, but I think Serena could have handled this better. My opinions on this are more complex than my initial reaction.

Edited by juppiter

• Replies 12.5k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• Soapsuds

• Faulkner

• DramatistDreamer

• ChitHappens

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

• Members

So ESPN admitted that every coach coaches and cheats....LOL.....Lawd....like the sport needed more bad publicity. No wonder no one watches it....LOL. It is not a surprise though...never was.....

This goes back to John McEnroe and him never getting punished for his bad behavior. So many times he should've been given point and game penalties and finally disqualified .....never happened and those like Joker continued the bad behavior without any consequences....and he is not the only one of course....

Edited by Soapsuds

• Members

I haven't seen anything like this since the infamous French Open final 1999 between Martina Hingis and Steffi Graf, where Hingis had a meltdown. She was on her way to the title when she questioned a line-call and then things rapidly went from bad to worse for her. She lost her cool and ultimately the match. She never won a singles GS title again after that.

Of course she also got the French crowd against her, and even though I rooted for Steffi I found their behaviour appalling.

• Members

I remember that match and Hingis dissolved into tears.  Her mother Melanie Molitor had to come down from the stands to comfort her in order to get Hingis to stay for the trophy presentation ceremony. 

Hingis was considered to be in 'breach of protocol' for crossing on the other side of the net to question a line call with the chair umpire.  

The French crowd was brutal toward Hingis, who breached protocol by crossing the net but the crowd behavior was so much worse than what she did-- and I'm saying this as someone who is not even a Hingis fan!  As much as I enjoyed watching Steffi play, that match left me with such a distaste.  Even now, it's not a match I would ever want to watch again.

The fortunate thing for both Hingis and Graf was that this was not the first or the only time either would contend for Slam titles, so they had other finals with happier endings to reflect on and remember.

Edited by DramatistDreamer

• Members

Novak wins!

Ties Sampras with 14 Slams and passes Federer for No. 1 all-time in prize money (dubious stat given inflation, but still).

Moves to No. 3 in the world with nothing to defend for the remainder of the year and very little to defend until next spring (Rome SF) into early summer.

Edited by Faulkner

• Members

Congrats to Noléfam like @Faulkner, I know you must be pleased.

I have to admit I drifted away from the match at points but I didn't follow this year as closely as I have in previous years, so what else is new, huh? lol

See when I was talking about media training, I also meant this type of vile stuff too.  It shouldn't be her responsibility to have to deal with this stuff but I don't see the ITF helping out when players get abuse online from horrible people

• Members

Weren't people last year saying essentially the same thing about Federer and Nadal last year?  That they shouldn't have been able to carve up the GS like they did in 2017?  I mean, whatever.  Training, equipment is not the same as the 80s, 90s or even the early '00s.

I'm more concerned with the lack of diversity in regards to court speeds (they're all to effin' slow!) and the lack of diversity economically and racially (tennis is still dominated by bluebloods and lily-white and I'm not just talking about among the players, I'm talking about the decision-makers).

I mean, if they want to make ages of the players the hill they die on, they can go right ahead.

Speaking of diversity-

Here is one example of how a Japanese media broadcaster is reporting the story of Naomi Osaka's win locally.

Naomi Osaka's Historic Feat

Edited by DramatistDreamer