The Tennis Thread

• Members

That was an amazing match. When Fed broke to go up 5-4 in the third, I thought it was over. But just like when La La Land “won” the Oscar, something told me, “Keep watching. There’s a twist ahead.” Thank heavens I did. Thrilled for this guy! Absolutely thrilled at his guts and belief.

Lame that ESPN didn’t air the trophy ceremony unless I missed something.

Interesting stat:

Edited by Faulkner

• Replies 12.5k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• Soapsuds

• Faulkner

• DramatistDreamer

• ChitHappens

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

• Members

To Roger......

Please register in order to view this content

It was. It had everything and more. It had great game playing and drama. The best match I have seen in a long time. The Borna vs Roger wasn't too bad either.

I thought it was over too when Roger broke and I started listening to some music. And yes ESPN didn't show the ceremony because of basketball coverage.....Good thing is that TC will rebroadcast the match later today and will show the ceremonies.

Lawd Sock didn't beat anyone to win Paris....LOL....and hasn't done squat since.....

Delpo is closing in on #4 ranking held by Sasha.....

I wonder if either will withdraw next week....

• Members

Glad she won. I only caught the first set but DVR the rest. It's too bad she got Serena in the first round. She is up to #22 in the world now. I wonder if she will pull out and just rest up for the clay court season instead of taking on Serena in the first round??

Delpo had the right to complain. They were yelling double fault right before he began his motion to serve. And they kept clapping after he missed his first serve. Roger didn't help matters by being upset that Delpo was complaining and by him cheering when Delpo made a mistake. Roger was acting like a brat and showed poor sportsmanship IMO. Roger was completely rattled the entire match and his bf kept standing on ever point.

At least Delpo knew how Thiem felt in the US Open last year when the Argentina fans would clap Thiem's first serve faults. Thiem kept cool during the whole thing but IW has the worst fans.....even worse than Miami.

• Members

That was such an intense and entertaining match!! 

Those guys bring out the best in each other on court, and the worst in each other in temperament!

Please register in order to view this content

I was glad to see someone who struggled with injuries and multiple surgeries, the way Juan did and manage to make it back as a competitor and win big!  

It is hard to believe that there won't be another title for Roger to win somewhere.  There's literally another tournament around the corner, in a few days.  Although I do wonder whether Juan will try for the famous "Sunshine Double".

@Faulkner ESPN's online app actually streamed the trophy ceremony. I already watch online, this was how I found out.  It's weird because I checked before the match began, and I swear, it wasn't on the schedule.

Edited by DramatistDreamer

• Members

Ugh. Thanks. I suppose ESPN had a hard out on their linear channel.

I think Roger’s always going to be a threat in this depleted field, but I am curious as to how he’ll schedule clay season. He’s had an amazing 2018, but he was showing major wear and tear during the North American hardcourt season last year. And that was without playing a single match on clay. He knows his body better than anyone else, but every year he’s on the tour and playing deep into tournaments, he’s going to have to make some difficult choices. This might be his last best shot at a second Roland Garros, but what will he sacrifice down the line if he decides to play the French?

Miami ladies main draw. Azarenka plays Cici Bellis, and Bethanie Mattek-Sands plays her first match back against Cornet:

Edited by Faulkner

• Members

That’s my guess too. The possibility of a Nadal-less RG might be tempting, but I think Fed is smarter than that.

The interesting thing: if the Big Five are either skipping or still recovering from injury and Thiem isn’t 100 percent, who becomes the favorite at RG? Delpo? Chung? PCB?

Edited by Faulkner

• Members

There hasn't been any news on Nadal.  As for Thiem he is expected to miss 3 to 4 weeks. He hopes to be back by Monte Carlo tourney. If he can't make it he doesn't have too much points to defend at Miami or MC. I think rest will help him out and really give him a shot at the French Open this year and win it all. I am hoping he doesn't drop too much in the rankings with Kevin Anderson around 400 points behind him. But Kevin would have to reach the finals in Miami to surpass him in the rankings and David Goffin has too many points to defend in Miami and MC to pass him too. So I think Thiem is safe at #7 after dropping a spot to Delpo this week.

Edited by Soapsuds

• Members

Watching Tennis Channel coverage of the match and it's at 3-3 in the 2nd set tiebreaker when the fans start yelling double fault. After that Del Po loses the point and complains about the double fault chants. And at 6-5 with Roger serving...he thinks he's aced him only to lose to a challenge and the crowd goes crazy and Roger still serves and spits out a terrible serve and then he starts yelling at the umpire for not quieting the crowd down to which umpire Murphy says why didn't you wait till they got quiet....LOL.....dumb ass Roger....LOL