The Tennis Thread

• Members

If only Venus had held serve after she broke Muguruza in the 3rd set!

Please register in order to view this content

Venus didn't take full advantage of Muguruza's somewhat limited sense of movement, which Garbiñe was good at masking this time by making the match a hitting match.

Still, considering clay is probably Muguruza's best surface and Venus had only had one match on green clay before this week, QFs isn't that bad. Although Muguruza really did little this year, she likes to really bring her best when she faces a big-time opponent.

For instance, look at her results against Serena in the French Open final last year!  

Oh well, I'm glad Vee beat Konta yesterday because I was so sick of her losing to her!

• Replies 12.5k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• Soapsuds

• Faulkner

• DramatistDreamer

• ChitHappens

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

• Members

Gawd...that was one awful set from Del Po. If that's all he can get from his backhand he might as well retire now.

All of my favs have won today minus Venus but that wasn't even shown. I don't want Novak to win but it looks like he will. He better expect a much tougher match tomorrow with Thiem.

• Members

I watched Venus' match on a dodgy AF Italian stream where the commentators talked so damn much they practically gave me a headache!

Aww, DelPo's backhand has slowly been improving, maybe he's having a bad day today? I don't want him to retire. I don't know what the solution is to Novak because I'm not watching but I'm sure knowing Nadal is out of the tournament has put a bounce in Novak's step, he's totally going to go all out for the rest of this tournament.

Edited by DramatistDreamer

• Members

He barely held serve in the second set. He isn't playing well. Novak is playing ok but not great. There is a rain delay thank gawd!  If the match isn't completed tonight it will carry over tomorrow.

Lord...TC sure sucks. They already went to the international feed. It's like 2pm in California and Tracy Austin and Co. already closed shop? Ridiculous!

You sure find those matches don't you?

• Members

My cable provider doesn't get Bein. I was LOL at the TC commentators saying that only 2 people were watching the women's matches since no one gets that channel....LOL

The match between Novak and Del Po has been officially postponed until tomorrow morning at 6:30 am followed by the Sasha vs Isner match at 7:30 am.

Here is the new schedule for tomorrow

http://www.atpworldtour.com/en/scores/current/rome/416/daily-schedule

• Members

Exactly! With the exception of Slams, there's no telling when we will consistently get  WTA matches!  Simon is an idiot!  I don't believe all (if any) of the players know. Serena posted the other day she was watching TC and only men's matches were on. A fan told her what was up. 

• Members

Muguruza ditched the press after her match. Her people pushed back her press conference from 10 pm Local time to 11pm and then she never showed up. 

Many who waited for Garbiñe were pissed since it was so late, many tennis journos were soaked from the storm (it rained cats and dogs) and many hadn't eaten since they had waited around for her.

Seriously, I wonder whether Muguruza might have further injured herself during the match and wanted to avoid any possible questions about it, perhaps additional treatment?  It's going to be interesting to see how that strapped thigh is doing come tomorrow. 

I bet Svitolina is going to try to run Muguruza ragged tomorrow.

@ChitHappens I saw that too!  It's a darn shame when one of your most illustrious players can't find her own sport on the damn TV! That guide was created by a fan. He was on cloud 9 because Serena favorited his tweet to her!

Edited by DramatistDreamer