The Tennis Thread

• Members

From your lips to God's ear!

Even though I was happy for Goffin, I actually felt, gasp, a bit sorry for Nolé at times, when he fell on the court and had to stoop over by a ball kid who was pouring water into his cupped hands to wash off the clay, he looked like a character from a Dickens novel!

But the sour grapes comments had me quickly shaking off my sympathy.

• Replies 12.5k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• Soapsuds

• Faulkner

• DramatistDreamer

• ChitHappens

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

• Members

I missed when he fell. I'll have to catch that part on replay. TC was commenting on how out of breath Nole was in his matches. He didn't have those problems since he was stuck at #3 in the world behind Nadal and Roger.

I've never cared for Nole. He comes off too smug for my tastes and is so desperate for fans that he will do ridiculous stuff like the heart raising to the fans which many tennis viewers hate....LOL....

• Members

@Soapsuds There's a 'dark knight' just dying to come out of Nolé and he needs to stop holding that side in.

Please register in order to view this content

I'd be sooo there when he walks over to 'the dark side'. 

Perhaps when he switches clothing brands, that "Bring The Love" gesture will be left behind with the old company. That gesture just never worked for me.

• Members

You don't know how many tennis fans hate that gesture. I was surprised at how many.

For a minute there I thought you had posted......wait when he switches to clothes that read " Bringing The Love"...LOLOL....thats next for him to do to get some fans...LOLOL

And i am sure there is more dark to him but his wife doesnt let it come out...LOL....she rules...LOL....a la the video we saw....LMAO

Edited by Soapsuds

• Members

While Konta is far from one of my favorite players, she handled herself the best way she knew how.

The officials should have warned the crowd that one more peep from them and Romania would be defaulted. The match being suspended happened because the crowd, egged on by Nastase acted atrociously. It's not up to Konta to fix the situation, that was the job of the officials and they let the situation descend into chaos for several minutes.

The match has been suspended and now Sorana Cirstea has not helped in the comments she made in press afterward questioning Konta's walking away.

Edited by DramatistDreamer

• Members

I haven't paid much attention to today's Fed Cup results but apparently Begu forgot to shake Watson's hand after their singles rubber.

And as Belarus was celebrating their getting to the Fed Cup finals, a player accidentally kicked Vika in the face.

One last thing on the nocturnal stirrings at that Challenger in Sarasota:

‘I guess sex sells’: An oral history of a disruption at the Sarasota Open

• Members

Kei has pulled out of the clay tourney in Spain...sighting that he reinjured his right wrist while practicing. I have a feeling he will have surgery and will be out for some time.

Murray took a wild card into that same tournament. Looks like a good field next week or should I say starting tomorrow.

• Members

Nobody's gonna mention that Nadal won his 10th Monte Carlo Masters title?

Please register in order to view this content

TBH, I saw very little of the tournament-maybe one full match and half of two others and I missed the final entirely.

It was quite fitting that Tiafoe won the Sarasota Challenger (which made up a T-shirt with Tiafoe's catchphrase "It Can't Be That Good!") beating former Top 10 Jurgen Melzer along the way (honestly, I didn't even know that Melzer was still playing, has he been injured or something??)

The U.S. Fed Cup team made it to the finals where they'll face Belarus.

Honestly, I don't know what to say other than, even though the U.S. didn't have its best team, The Czech Republic probably had their C Squad there without Petra, without Lucie Safarova, without Barbora Strycova, etc. and with the lesser heralded Pliskova sister (Krystina, not Karolina), 

• Members

Eh...I am so bored with Nadal winning on clay. It has gotten very stale watching him win on clay. I lost interest in Monte Carlo before the QFs. By then it was obvious Rafa was going to win again.

Shelby is the better player. She tends to play better against higher ranked players. Rinaldi probably made a change because Lauren was brooding during the whole Shelby match. Even the commentators mentioned it.