The Tennis Thread

• Members

Federer was zoning and the winners just rolled off the backhand and forehand. Nadal tried but I think Federer used the formula that he found success with in Australia and condensed it and sharpened it even more. He just looked so confident. He took Nadal's time away during rallies and Nadal was constantly on the backfoot running from side to side scurrying to get the ball. Nadal could neither get into a groove or a rhythm, Federer simply wouldn't allow him.

Novak looked mostly subdued in his match although he clearly tried to ignite a fire in himself several times during the match but each time it was short-lived and he couldn't break Nick so he couldn't find a way back into the match. Nick got that early break, felt confident and never looked back. He's not intimidated at all.

• Replies 12.5k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• Soapsuds

• Faulkner

• DramatistDreamer

• ChitHappens

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

• Members

I so wanted that win for Nishioka, but man does that kid have game.  What a story for someone who came into the tournament as a lucky loser. And he's only 5-foot-7, and he's ballin' with the big boys. Japan has two really strong ATP players to look out for.

• Members

I went to bed while Muguruza and Pliskova were still playing so I didn't even know the results until just a few minutes ago. I also completely forgot there was another match to be played but I'm so glad I didn't stay up. 

Sounds like Thiem was razor sharp while Monfils may have been slightly injured. Monfils played better when he was under the flu earlier in the week, LOL. He can beat Federer and Stan but stays losing to Thiem. Thiem is talented but to lose in straight sets. Whatever Monf.

Please register in order to view this content

Well, Thiem shouldn't be too tired to face Stan, lol. That QF could be interesting, if Stan actually comes to play.

Edited by DramatistDreamer

• Members

Roger was just phenomenal last night. Laughing at his dad quote to him. "Hit that backhand dammit!"....LOLOLOL

Nick just crushed Nole.

How did Nishioka lose to Stan? I wonder if he will have to qualify for Miami or will get direct entry?

Thiem dominated Monfils. It wasn't even close.

• Members

Thanks for the link!

I was surprised to see Borna playing the tournament. I wish I could have seen him play in person.

Can ESPN get rid of Mardy Fish? He sucks as a commentator!  Just like his game did and his coaching duties. I am surprised Mardy is not in Fort Worth with his pupil...Jared Donaldson.

• Members

You're welcome. It's official--even the Challenger circuit has more available streaming of matches than the WTA.

Quite a few players entered this particular Challenger tournament. I guess many who lost early in IW didn't want to be at loose ends,  just idling until Miami, so they decided to play this one.