Lady Bird Johnson dies at 94

Scotty

• Replies 11
  • Created
  • Last Reply
  • Members

This news *really* freaks me out.

A couple days ago, my grandmother called me and told me that a friend of theirs came by and left a book for them to give to me. Her husband was an advisor in some capacity to both Presidents Kennedy and Johnson. The book was about the White House and it was signed by--who else?--Lady Bird Johnson.

Now I don't know if she knew that she was going to die, but I'm going to try to find out. I'm kind of hoping that she did know, otherwise, this is really going to creep me out LOL.

• Members

This is heart-breaking. Living in Austin her presence is felt everywhere in this city. So many cool and beautiful things here have her fingerprints on them. Amazing lady. May she rest in peace.

Kade

• Members

Lady Bird lived a good, long productive life.

Good for her and all she accomplished!

I remember meeting her when she came to the rededication of the Ford Library in Grand Rapids, MI.

Very kind, gentle, nice lady.

No longer may she suffer, she is at rest.

• Members

Wow that must have been an experience to meet her. I haven't met any politician (unless you count the guy who ran in the primary last year to be the Democrat nominee for California governor) but I have heard Bill Clinton speak in San Francisco.

Lady Bird was one of a kind and a true woman...certainly much more than Stepford Wife Laura Bush

• Members

I find it interesting that you would see Laura Bush in a negative light. She has one of the most highest popularity rankings among first ladies.

She was not out to steal the spotlight, she quietly does her work, and she is a treauser in my opionion. Whether you agree with your husband or not.

But, yes it was interesting to meet her and Mrs. Ford actually.

I shook hands with Bob Dole on a campaign swing in 96 through here and also Carl Levin and Fred Upton..who are both major players in Michigan.

• Members

I don't care what her popularity rating is she has no respect from me and pretty much has done nothing as First Lady. I have yet to see her take a strong stand on health care, women's rights (her work in Afghanistan and parts of the Middle East are nothing to be inspired about), environment protection, the economy, immigration, gun control. I lost a lot more respect from her when her monkey faced husband was making fun of Cindy Sheehan, who he should have answered to right away, and she just sat there and laughed. The woman is deranged to laugh at someone poking fun at a mother who lost her son in an illegal and unjust war. But then again Laura can be proud of one thing...she made history by being the first First Lady to get into office by the Supreme Court since they decided the 2000 election and not the people. And she obviously has not done a good job with her white trash twin daughters' upbringing as they are two spoiled brats who contribute nothing to society and are just a tad bit more intelligent than Paris Hilton. The twin daughters make REAL TWINS, like my brother and myself, look dumb and foolish and it is rather insulting. FORGOT TO ADD: I don't think calling someone a Stepford Wife is in a negative light. It is just a description of their behavior. But either way, I do not like Laura Bush and never have. She has no personality and just follows along without questioning anything. Hillary Clinton at least stood out as First Lady and was outspoken and very involved in national affairs and did disagree with her husband on some issues.

Betty Ford was the last true Republican First Lady...she was outspoken and took a strong stand. Nancy Reagan was alright, Barbara Bush is a hack and has no class, and Laura Bush has my contempt for the reasons outlined above.

But anyways, the thread is to honor Lady Bird Johnson and not to critique former First Ladys so I will end it here

Archived