Pacific Palisades/Savannah

• Members

They probably knew - the show was pulled after the second Joan Collins episode failed to give it any boost and pushed into the summer. Since these type of Spelling soaps were hugely popular internationally, they probably figured they could sell it to other markets as a mini-series like they had done with 2000 Malibu Road and Models, Inc (both of which they provided extra material for a proper ending).

It wouldn't actually surprise me if there was additional footage shot for a potential cliffhanger if Fox had decided to renew it.

• Replies 33
  • Created
  • Last Reply
  • Members

You might be right because all of the four main storylines (which were Robert/Kate/Jessica/Matt, Laura/Christina, Cory/Beth and Joanna/Nick/Rachel) had a cliffhanger during the final episode. In the last 10 minutes of that episode, everything was neatly tied up.

Matt's schemes were exposed; Kate left Pacific Palisades; Robert proposed to Jessica; Cory and Beth reunited after sending Cory's blackmailer and Beth's ex-husband to prison; Joanna, Nick and Rachel decided to move back to Michigan after Rachel's lies about her affair with Nick were exposed; and Laura and Christina found a wealthy widower and his son to get their claws on.

However, unlike Models Inc. where the ending was filmed a while after the cancellation and felt very clumsy, the Pacific Palisades ending seemed like a real part of the episode.

I wonder why Kimberley Davies (Laura) did not show up on another Spelling show afterwards. She probably would have been a good fit on Melrose Place.

• Members

Models Inc's renewal was up in the air for quite a while though and it's what was considered as "bubble show" (50/50 chance for renewal). It was between Models and Party of Five in that case (both poorly/average rated).

In Pacific Palisades case it was probably more clear by the time it came to film the last episode. I think they knew it wasn't getting another season, but at the same time I don't doubt they had something ready for an unexpected renewal.

• Members

I like when short-lived shows get a proper ending. They recently did that on ABC's Betrayal, which only lasted 13 episodes, but their final episode nicely wrapped up everything.

It took me years to finally see it, but I loved how there was an alternate ending created for Models Inc. in syndication.

Archived