Daniel R. Coleridge TVGuide Soap Reporter

• Members

I get notified by e-mail when the TVGuide.com Soap Section is updated, so today there was a notice that Mr. Coleridge had posted something new. The article I've linked to below is what was posted, someone edited what was originally posted though.

Link To TVGuide Post

Mr. Coleridge mentioned he was gay, and said that him getting paid to cover Soap Operas for TVGuide was probably a tip off. I replied by saying that I knew a few straight guys who cover Soaps online, so him covering soaps wasn't exactly a tip off to him being gay. Then when I went back a few minutes later the part about him being gay had been removed and my reply was deleted. I then replied again and mentioned the article being edited and my reply being deleted, that reply was deleted, and my third and last reply saying that I wouldn't be responding to anything else there was just deleted too.....

Can someone edit the spelling of "Guide" in my topic title?

• Replies 13
  • Created
  • Last Reply
  • Members

That guy is a total douch. In his world, being gay is a big deal where if you have something against his (ahem) "journalism", you are against homosexuals.

A few months ago, I made a comment on if it was necessary to keep using "objectifying" words like "hot buns, soap stud, hottie..." in his reports. My point was that it took away the journalistic integrity of his work. He took extreme offense and said that I was against homosexuals. He went on a rant about how he was (and I quote him since I laughed out loud) "I'm here and I'm queer." He then claimed that I would not have a problem if he used words to objectify women.

He's always promoting his book and claims that you read whatever scoop from HERE. He's just too high on himself. You want a real journalist to cover soaps? Nelson Blanco covers the soaps for the Canadian TV Guide and offers up plenty more newsworthy items. I used to check TV Guide's soap section quite a few times a day before DRC, but as of late, I could not care less.

• Members

ITA with your description of him Mr.Brightside!

Most of the "Soap News" he reports is old by the time he finally posts about it, and his constant pimping of the book he wrote pisses the sh!t out of me. It's amusing to read his reporting style..... I'll be looking at that Canadian TV Guide now too. Thanks for mentioning it.......

• Members

And you were right to point that out. He shouldn't be using "objectifying" words to describe ANYONE. He has to be more professional if he's representing a respected publication like TV Guide. I just don't understand where the accusation of homophobia towards you came from - he's just playing the card because he thinks he can. He needs to get over himself.

• Members

I didn't think it would get any worse...

Jonathan Reiner....then Delania Dixon....and now Coleridge.

At least Reiner pissed us off with constant NBC pimping and asskissing. Coleridge brings NOTHING to the table.

Coleridge is clearly a cheap Ausiello clone. Everyone knows Ausiello's the TV Guide gay.

• Members

If not homophobic it does actually sound a lot to me like bigotry trying to tell someone how to express themselves or their personality, trying to control how they speak or what phrases they might use (outside of insulting terms or bigoted terminology.) I wouldn't express myself in that manner but he has every right to without people running him down.

We're talking about a gossip column not some serious journalism about world-altering politics. TV Guide is TV Guide not Time or Newsweek or The Washington Post.

• Members

He has every right, but it doesn't look professional on his end. And it makes soap fans look like idiots that just watch for the hot bods and that's not true(well, sometimes, but still).

Yeah, but to those who watch TV, TV Guide is a semi-respected publication. Or it used to be.

Not everyone can afford to subscribe to Variety.

• Members

He sucks, he's nowhere near being like Ausiello because he doesn't have any scoop! All the news is old and he's very PC so he doesn't offend any of the networks. It makes for an EXTREMELY dull gossip reporter. I was shocked to see TV Guide Canada with better scoop than his sorry ass.

Unfortunately, soaps suck so bad now that he's probably here to stay. We just have no luck these days. WoST closing and the destruction of SOAPnet isn't helping either. It's like TPTB are trying to speed up the death of the soap opera.

• Members

I friended him on Myspace a while back (when we heard Adam was returning to ATWT). I asked if Abigail was being cast and he proceeded to flirt with me, saying that he wouldn't comment until I changed my picture. :rolleyes: I then used an old expression "pish and pashaw" and he told me that since I use words like that, I must be gay. I insisted for the 305485th time that I wasn't and asked him to please tell me the scoop. I then ass-kissed a little and told him that it wasn't like he was some egotistical news reporter or something. He obviously took in a literal context instead of the sarcastic context that I had meant my statement to have. He then sent me a msg. saying to leave him alone and stick to my sticky Playboy magazine or something to that extent. Then, he deleted me from his friends and blocked me...

<_< @$$wipe.

I'll post some of the messages when I get time. ;)

• Members

Yes, my bad Coleridge experience has to do with VI! Just after he left AMC last fall and we were hungry for any news regarding what he might do next, CBS SID (yet another non-source for casting news!) had the rumor that he was returning to GL. So we were all excited about the possibility, until one day out of the clear blue, Coleridge decided to interview Kreizman to smugly "debunk" SID, all puffed up about himself with the "news" he had. So when I asked "OK then, what DO you know about VI's future plans?," I was met with chirping crickets. For almost two more months. Until VI himself revealed he was joining Y&R, which Coleridge didn't have in his column until almost a week later. So ever since then I vowed never to read the lazy SOB again!

Archived