Pregnant Ohio Woman Vanishes

Actor87

• Members

http://news.yahoo.com/s/ap/20070619/ap_on_...NOnhQFNXg1H2ocA

NORTH CANTON, Ohio - A pregnant woman vanished from her home, leaving behind broken furniture, a pool of bleach on the floor and just one witness — a 2-year-old son who told police, "Mommy's crying ... Mommy's in the rug."

ADVERTISEMENT

Investigators would not elaborate on the meaning of the child's statement, but a bed comforter was missing from Jessie Davis' home.

Authorities said Monday they had no suspects in the disappearance of Davis, 26, who is nine months pregnant.

Davis' mother, Patricia Porter, was the last person to have a conversation with Davis when she spoke to her daughter Wednesday by phone. Police and 60 to 70 volunteers searched over the weekend but found no leads.

"You just feel absolutely numb," Porter said. "I see her picture on television and I think, 'Oh my God, what a beautiful girl.' And then it hits you, 'That's my girl.'"

Porter, 60, discovered the toddler alone when she went to check on her daughter Friday morning. The home's sliding patio door was unlocked, and Davis' car was still at the duplex.

"My God something's wrong!" Porter said in a 911 call. Her daughter "would never, ever" leave the child behind, she told the emergency dispatcher.

Porter also was recorded saying the father of the boy and Davis' unborn daughter, Canton police patrolman Bobby Cutts Jr., was to drop off the boy at the home on Thursday.

Rick Perez, chief deputy at the Stark County Sheriff's Department, would not comment on the relationship between Cutts and Davis. Perez said Cutts and his estranged wife are among those cooperating with investigators.

Cutts, 30, and his wife had at least one child together.

Porter said that when she didn't hear from her daughter Thursday, she went to Davis' home near this northeast Ohio city and found her grandson, Blake, wearing a dirty diaper.

The mattress in Davis' bedroom was partially off the bed, a night stand and lamp had been knocked over and bleach had been poured on the bedroom floor, Porter said.

Davis' son later told detectives: "Mommy was crying. Mommy broke the table. Mommy's in the rug."

Items from Davis' purse were scattered on the kitchen floor. Davis' cell phone also is missing, investigators said.

"Knowing my daughter, she was so immaculate that anything out of place in my mind seemed like shambles," Porter said.

Sheriff's deputies searched Davis' home over the weekend, and then returned Monday evening with FBI agents. They were also spotted at Cutts' home Monday night.

Bobby Cutts Sr., Cutts' father, declined to make more than a brief comment when reached at his home in Orrville Monday evening.

"My son is grown and I don't get involved," he said.

Porter, who is now caring for her grandson, said her daughter planned to name her baby daughter Chloe.

"She was in good spirits," Porter said. "She was excited about the baby. She was getting ready to pack a suitcase for Chloe and for herself. You could see she'd been hanging up the baby clothes."

Police have advised Porter not to ask the boy questions so that any recollections and information come out naturally. She said the toddler has trouble sleeping and refuses to let go of a photo of his mother.

"Whatever comes, comes," Porter said. "He plays a lot. We're not trying to prod him or anything."

Davis is employed by Allstate Insurance at a call center in nearby Hudson, company spokesman Mike Siemienas said Monday.

Co-worker Dianna Piltz sent Davis a text message at 8:15 a.m. on Thursday that wasn't returned.

"We freak out when she's a couple minutes late. She's pregnant, and you always worry about pregnant women," Piltz said.

Neighbors reported they did not notice anything suspicious before the disappearance, Perez said.

A neighbor on Davis' leafy, middle-class street said Davis lived a low-key life.

"Every now and then we'd see her out and about," said Jeff Midkiff, 46. "She would wave, or whatever. She seemed like a very quiet person."

----------------------------------------------------------------------

Such a heartbreaking story. Hopefully, the toddler is able to divulge enough information to help authorities find the woman in time.

On a pessimistic note, I don't hold much hope.....especially after the heartless murder of Laci Peterson. Am I a bad person for that? I hope not. All I know is that there are alot of sick, sick people in this world. :(

• Replies 13
  • Created
  • Last Reply
  • Members

CANTON, Ohio (June 19) - A newborn girl with her umbilical cord still attached was found in a basket on a doorstep 45 miles from where a pregnant woman vanished, authorities said Tuesday. A DNA sample was taken from the infant Tuesday and was given to authorities investigating the disappearance.

Thomas Maurer, sheriff in neighboring Wayne County, said the baby was less than 24 hours old, and that officials are using "every caution we can" to eliminate the possibility that the baby is related to the missing woman, Jessie Davis.

Davis, 26, who is due July 3 with a baby she planned to name Chloe, has not been heard from since Wednesday evening when she spoke to her mother by phone.

A couple arriving home from dinner Monday night discovered the newborn on the porch of their rural home south of Wooster, Maurer said. The baby was dressed in a sleeper. The wicker basket contained a blanket and a bottle of formula, but there was no note, he said.

The baby was taken to Wooster Community Hospital, where DNA from the girl was taken using a mouth swab, said Maurer, who drove the sample to investigators in Stark County on Tuesday.

Davis was reported missing on Friday when her mother, Patricia Porter, went to Davis' house in nearby North Canton to check on her and found her grandson, 2-year-old Blake Davis, alone, wearing a dirty diaper in a home with furniture askew. A pool of bleach was on the bedroom floor, and the contents of Davis' purse were scatted in the kitchen. Her cell phone and a comforter were missing.

Blake told investigators: "Mommy was crying. Mommy broke the table. Mommy's in the rug."

The father of Davis' son and unborn girl is Canton police patrolman Bobby Cutts Jr. He is estranged from his wife, with whom he has at least one other child. Authorities searched his northeast Ohio home over the weekend and again Monday night. Officials say they have no suspects in the disappearance.

A fellow officer said Tuesday that Canton patrolman Bobby Cutts Jr. had an amicable relationship with her. Cutts has refused to talk about the case with reporters and is now on leave from his job.

Cutts shared the parenting duties for their 2-year-old son with Davis, said John Miller, president of the Canton patrolman's union. Cutts, also the father of Davis' unborn daughter, juggled parenthood with the demands of his patrol job on the midnight shift, Miller said.

"He's a good officer. He's got no problems at work. He treats people well," Miller said.

In 1998, he was sentenced to three years probation for disorderly conduct after a former girlfriend accused him of breaking a door jam and forcing his way into their home, causing her to fear for her safety, according to a police report from nearby Jackson Township.

About two years after his conviction in the disorderly conduct case, Cutts was hired by the Canton Police Department.

His personnel file also shows he won an appeal to overturn his firing in 2003 when authorities conducting a drug raid on his cousin's home found Cutts' handgun hidden under a mattress. Canton police officials accused Cutts of giving the gun to his cousin for protection and said Cutts was lying when he reported that the gun had been stolen.

A federal arbitrator ordered the city to reinstate the officer, saying Canton police had not proven the allegation.

Davis' family has declined to talk about her relationship with Cutts. Her father, Ned, held back tears Tuesday in an interview, saying he's trying to block out all emotion and focus on his daughter's safe return.

"I'm a dad that wants his daughter back," he said.

Miller accused the Stark County Sheriff's Office of waiting too long to retrieve Davis' cell phone records. The sheriff's department has not discussed whether any clues have been found in cell phone records.

http://news.aol.com/topnews/articles/_a/ba...S00010000000001

• Members

This story is disturbing on so many levels. Not the least of which is how the press is treating it as a cross between Laci Peterson and JonBenet Ramsey, with a little Natalee Holloway and Chandra Levy thrown in.

At this stage of the game my main concern is for that poor two-year old who witnessed it.

• Members

Ohio Mom's Body Found; Boyfriend Charged

Missing Ohio Woman's Boyfriend Arrested for Murder; Body Believed to Be Hers Recovered

The Associated Press By M.R. KROPKO Associated Press Writer

CANTON, Ohio Jun 23, 2007 (AP)

The boyfriend of a missing pregnant woman was arrested on two counts of murder Saturday, and a body believed to be hers was found a week after she vanished from her home, authorities said. Jessie Davis, 26, was due to deliver a baby girl on July 3. Her mother found Davis' 2-year-old son alone in her home, where bedroom furniture was toppled and bleach spilled on the floor on June 15.

The boy gave investigators their first clues. "Mommy was crying. Mommy broke the table. Mommy's in rug," the boy said.

Thousands of volunteers had searched for Davis over several days, while investigators continued to question Bobby Cutts Jr., 30, a Canton police officer, who is the father of Davis' son. Her family says he also is the father of the unborn child.

Investigators were mum on many details of their work until they announced Cutts was taken into custody Saturday and was to be arraigned on charges of murder in the deaths of Davis and her unborn child.

The Stark County Sheriff's Department also said a woman's body was recovered in Summit County at 3:30 p.m. Authorities did not give a location but said they believed it to be Davis.

"Our hearts go out to the family of Jessie Marie Davis," Chief Deputy Rick Perez said at a news conference announcing the developments.

Archived