Queen Sherri has passed away

Q Steph

• Members

sherriimage.jpg

WWE Hall Of Famer “Sensational” Sherri Dies At Age 49

It is my unfortunate responsibility to report that WWE Hall of Famer Sherri Martel (real name Sherri Russel, better known as Sensational Sherri) has died. Martel, best remembered as one of the top female managers of all time, worked alongside Randy Savage, Shawn Michaels, and Ted DiBiase back in the 1990s with the WWF.

Martel made the move to World Championship Wrestling in 1994 where she worked alongside Ric Flair during his feud with Hulk Hogan, later moving on to manage Booker T and Stevie Ray as the Harlem Heat tag team.

Sherri was inducted into the WWE Hall of Fame during WrestleMania 21 weekend in Chicago, IL and made regular appearances at conventions and media events. She was only 49 years old. The cause of death is not immediately known.

source: prowrestling.com

I bet WWE will make a [!@#$%^&*] mockery out of this too.

I loved her.

R.I.P.

You will always be the Queen.

http://www.lethalwow.com/bios/sherri.htm

• Replies 8
  • Created
  • Last Reply
  • Members

Wow. I must admit, she was pretty messed up at Last years Hall of Fame ceromony. I'm afraid she was doing some types of drugs based on the way she was acting. When I saw the title, I knew it was her. RIP Sensational one. Now, everytime I hear HBK's theme song, I wont hear his voice, I will hear hers.

• Members

Yeah. She did seem out of it. She was definately on something.

She had on the same dress I wore to prom.

This is still sad. I also just found out that Jeff Jarett's wife, Jill, died of cancer a few weeks ago.

I found out some more info from WWE.Com:

WWE is saddened to learn of the death of WWE Hall of Famer “Sensational” Sherri. She was 49.

She passed away at her mother’s home in Birmingham, Ala. Friday morning, according to her husband of 10 years, Robert Schrull.

“It’s a great loss to the wrestling world,” he told WWE.com. The couple resided in St. Petersburg, Fla.

In the early 1980s, Sherri began her career in the AWA. In 1985, she defeated Candi Devine to become the AWA Women’s Champion. Their rivalry lasted more than a year, with the championship trading hands on several occasions.

It was during this time that she began perfecting her skills as a manager, leading “Playboy” Buddy Rose and “Pretty Boy” Doug Somers to the AWA Tag Team Championship. On June 28, 1986, Martel would win the AWA Women’s Championship for a third and final time from Candi Devine.

On July 24, 1987, “Sensational” Sherri debuted in WWE, pinning her trainer and mentor the Fabulous Moolah to become Women’s Champion. Sherri defended the gold against Debbie Combs, Velvet McIntyre, and Desiree Peterson.

She quickly earned the reputation as someone who would do anything to win, even if it meant using unsavory tactics. Her rivalry with Moolah continued as they became the captains for the first-ever female Survivor Series teams in 1989. Sherri held the championship for 15 months before losing to Rockin’ Robin.

In the early ‘90s WWE phased out the Women’s Division, leaving Sherri to focus on managing the male wrestlers. Her first client was “Macho Man” Randy Savage. It was during this time that she became “Sensation Queen.”

The couple had rivals with Miss Elizabeth, Hulk Hogan, Dusty Rhodes and Sapphire. In 1991, “The Million Dollar Man” Ted DiBiase enlisted her services. After that relationship dissolved, she took on the managerial duties of Shawn Michaels.

In 1994, Sherri appeared in WCW as “Sensuous” Sherri managing Ric Flair during his rivalries with Sting and Hulk Hogan. After separating from Flair, she became “Sister” Sherri guiding Harlem Heat to seven WCW Tag Team Championships.

Sherri was enshrined in the WWE Hall of Fame in 2006. “Million Dollar Man” Ted DiBiase was her presenter.

• Members

Wow, she was pretty younger than I thought she was. That is very sad. I remember watching Sherri when I was growing up and used to watch wrestling. She was Randy Savage's manager by the time I was born. She used to scare the hell out of me, with that makeup and the screaming she used to do all the time. I can still remember Wrestlemania VII after Savage and Warrior's match, Sherri started beating on Savage and Miss Elizabeth came into save the day. I believe that's the most action Liz ever saw in a WWE ring. And then I remember her moving onto Ted DiBiase and Shawn Michaels. I loved Sherri when she managed Michaels. The outfits she would come out in would make my jaw hit the floor.

:( She's going to be missed.

• Members

On his Wrestling Observer Live radio show Sunday night, Dave Meltzer stated that Sherri Martel didn't die of natural causes. According to Meltzer, "This was not a typical wrestler's death," "Not a suicide," and "She did not die of natural causes." The case is currently under investigation by law enforcement. Police were in abundance at Martel's mother's residence in Birmingham, Alabama where the WWE Hall of Famer was found dead Friday morning, according to her husband of 10 years, Robert Schrull. Meltzer knows more about the situation at hand, but he didn't want to specifically say anything until he has more information on the case. Meltzer plans on talking to the police later today to gather more information regarding her sudden death.

When Martel passed away on Friday, there were a number of people in WWE who were downright embarrassed by the way her death was placed far down on the company's website, under all of the reports of Vince McMahon's "demise." It has led to discussions internally about ending the angle, but in the end, the storyline will likely continue.

Archived