TMZ: Sony/BMG Execs Apologize To Kelly & Co.

Ryan

• Replies 14
  • Created
  • Last Reply
  • Members

Kelly should get some credit for wanting to be an original and not the latest in a long line of Whitney Houston wannabe's that Clive seems to favor. Should she take some well meaning advice? Yes, but he should stand by her choices rather than to tear her down at every chance.

I'm waiting to hear the other singles beyond Never Again since I haven't warmed up to it. But Kelly's a solid artist.

• Members

Fox 411: Kelly Clarkson: 'My December' Trouble

Get ready for Kelly Clarkson as ... Courtney Love.

Clarkson’s new album, "My December," is causing more trouble than anyone could have guessed.

The album, Clarkson’s third, is at the center of a tug of war between the artist and her record label, RCA, which is run by the mogul of moguls, Clive Davis.

I told you the other day that Davis is happy enough to release "My December" even though he has misgivings about it. Clarkson, never before a songwriter, refused to use professional collaborators this time around. She wrote all the songs with her band members against the advice of her label and Davis.

But the real friction may not be between Clarkson and Davis, but between Clarkson’s manager, Jeff Kwatinetz, of The Firm, and the label.

It was only this past weekend that RCA learned Kwatinetz is being listed by Clarkson as “executive producer” of the album. This indicates a new role for Kwatinetz, who is not the most popular member of the recording industry. Managers generally do not receive "EP" credits on albums. They are listed as managers.

In this case, though, Kwatinetz may regret what he’s wished for. “My December” has already spawned one non-starter single in “Never Again,” a kind of tough-chick rock song that failed to penetrate radio or video. After six weeks, it’s already being pulled from rotations after not catching on.

Even though “My December” isn’t ready for press copies, three of its songs can be heard on AOL (all of its lyrics are available, too). None of them has the bright catchy pop hooks of Clarkson’s previous hits like “Since U Been Gone.” One of them, “Sober,” is kind of a rock dirge that boasts the refrain, “Three months … and I’m still sober!”

Is the world really ready for Kelly as Courtney? Ironically, Kwatinetz now also manages Love, who’s turned in a magnificent album of songs. The difference is she collaborated with hitmaker Linda Perry to mix the bitter with the sweet. Kwatinetz may have been so excited about Love and Perry that he’s gotten confused about artistic rebellion.

Clarkson’s songs are indeed bitter. On “Maybe,” which features an acoustic guitar, Clarkson boasts “life with me is never easy.” Surely the folks at RCA are finding that out, since “Maybe” is maudlin and also contains not a sing-able melody.

“Can I Have a Kiss,” mixed with heavy bass over another acoustic guitar, sounds like the kind of song you might hear from an up-and-coming singer in a San Francisco coffee house.

None of them, however, are equal to the polished, edgy pop that made Clarkson a breakthrough hit on her last album. If anything, “My December” is shaping up to be the equivalent of Lauryn Hill’s disastrous follow-up to her mega-selling “Miseducation” album. You’ll notice that no one remembers that CD, and no one’s heard from the onetime superstar since then.

Of course, Davis is often accused of being a control freak who insists on selecting every note sung by his artists. But many Arista and J Records stars write their own songs, including Alicia Keys, Dido and Sarah McLachlan. Davis has never had a problem with them, insiders say. What he does have a problem with is failure, and he’s worried, sources tell me, that Clarkson is headed for a fall.

“The album will come in at No. 1 and could even stay there a second week,” says a source. “But then, it will be over fast.” Fan club members may add to sales with downloads, too. “But Kelly will not sell anywhere near her previous numbers.” The last album, “Breakaway,” released in late 2004, sold a whopping 5.7 million copies.

I met Clarkson last year in Washington, D.C., at a recording industry event. She couldn’t have been nicer, and truly, she has a big voice that could keep her on the top of the charts for years.

But writing her own songs is a gamble she may regret, especially if she turns off her core listening audience. After all, she was built in the “American Idol” factory, and then retooled by Davis — who gave her “Since U Been Gone” — to be hip without seeming dangerous.

Clarkson’s is not a similar case to when Stevie Wonder and Marvin Gaye each decided to venture out on his own from the Motown hit machine in 1970. Nor is it the same as Justin Timberlake’s break from his *NSYNC persona. Pop music, a savvy producer friend of mine used to say, has to have the sound of triumph even if it’s a sad song.

“My December,” however, sounds like it’s shaping up to be one dark, angry recording. It contains lyrics like “There’s a hole/ Inside of me/ It’s so cold/ Slowly killing me.”

Some of the songs — “Judas” and “Irvine” — have titles that aren’t even mentioned in the lyrics at all, forget about the choruses.

On track after track, it’s clear that Kelly had a bad break-up with someone. But not being a skilled lyricist, her broken heart comes off as unsympathetic and a little childish. Someone should have given her a crash course in Carly Simon or Joni Mitchell to see how poetic justice is truly meted out.

Davis, I’m told, could have simply killed the album — he’s done it before when artists turned in CDs he didn’t like. But he’s going to let Clarkson face the music either way.

Says an RCA insider, “Even if this fails, he’ll work with Kelly again if she’s ready to listen.”

• Members

I love well-written, bitter songs and albums with a defiant theme.

My favorites are Jagged Little Pill(by Alanis) and American Life(by Madonna).

I admit, I'm not too fond of "Never Again." If its a sign of how the rest of the album is,. I too, fear for Kelly. And its not even about her crossing over trying to do the rock thing. Her songs need more than just hoping a ring turns a girl's finger green. I'm also hoping there's more variety too(i.e. power ballads, stuff that is lip synchable)...but it doesn't sound like it.

I don't get them ragging on her for having a song title that don't have the lyrics in there. Most of Coldplay's albums never have the song title mentioned in the actual song(i.e. Scientist, Amsterdam, Don't Panic,).

• Members

As someone who has her album, I can say that "Never Again" does not represent how the entire album sounds. No it doesn't have the bright catchy pop hooks of "Breakaway". Yes the album is kind of dark, but Kelly said "You can't just write a bunch of happy songs because somebody is telling you they'll sell."

As Kelly would say, "Sorry I've inconvenienced you with my life". Did you hear that her personal information was put on a website? Her friends are saying that she used to be more fun to talk to, her management team treats her like crap, her best friend commited suicide a couple of years ago, and she's not happy about any of it. Who would be? She's not supposed to be jolly after all the things that have happened to her. Writing is therapeutic and it's helping her.

I'm a very loyal Kelly fan. I did NOT like Never Again when I first heard it. Not because it wasn't "catchy" as people say, just because it was different. Eventually it grew on me. However unlike Never Again, I immediately became attached to Sober and Haunted.

I'm a lyrics person. Kelly's songs have stripped away whatever facade people may have had about her. Her lyrics are pure raw emotion.

The excuse I keep hearing from "some" Kelly fans and some who arent, is that oh "there aren't any catchy songs" or "there's no good hook on these songs." I'm sorry, but I'd much rather listen to Kelly's music than sing "hey hey you you I don't like your girlfriend. no way no way I think you need a new one!" If that's what "catchy" and "good" music has turned into, then sorry, I'm not a subscriber.

As popular as Breakaway was, I only liked about 6 songs on the CD (Behind These Hazel Eyes, Since U Been Gone, Because of You, Addicted, Hear Me and Beautiful Disaster). Not saying that the other songs were bad, I just didn't connect with them the way I did with the ones I liked.

I'm not bashing anyone's opinion because I believe we all have a right to an opinion, but damn, can Kelly get some credit? Do you know how hard it is to let someone in your life? I don't want to see happy Kelly all of the time. I want to see the real Kelly, and that's what we're getting this time.

All artists need to grow, you can't keep dishing out the SSDD on albums. That turns me off. I'm a fan of Britney Spears...but where has she truly grown as an artist? Christina on the other hand has. She tries a different sound with each new album and I love that about her. People hated on Christina for doing a "throwback" album and it's been a very successful album for her. God forbid people go against the "norm".

FOX needs to check their facts. Kelly wrote a majority of the songs on "Breakaway," so to say "never before a songwriter" is incorrect.

IMO, in this album, Kelly's channeling Janis Joplin, Alanis Morissette & Pat Benetar. I hope people give it a chance. There are some great songs on the CD (and maybe two clunkers that could have been replaced with some of the songs she performed on her Breakaway Tour like "Don't" or "Come Here" or "Always".)

• Members

Wow, really?! I did a drag routine to "Walk Away" a year before it was released as a single. LOVE that song. I love "I Hate Myself For Losing You" and "Where Is Your Heart?!"

And "Beautiful Disaster" was on her first album as well. I like the acousitc, ballad version of the song, but there's something to be said about the pop, "Hey, look at me, I'm the all-American girl looking to change this guy" kind of thing.

When I hear a song, I don't look for hooks. I look for what sounds good. I just hope the other songs on the album can help her rebound.

I just hope that her stuff translates into honesty for those who listen and is something relatable to her fans.

I've always given Kelly Clarkson credit for breaking away from "American Idol" and doing her own thing. I still think she is the one who has utilized her fame better than anyone who has been on Idol.

It can just be a dastardly move. Mariah Carey, and I LOVE HER LOVE HER LOVE HER, completely bashed her Sony past and even went as far as to say that it wasn't "the real her." Her last album sold a lot, but it was a major turnoff, as a fan of hers since age 6, to not have a single flipping power ballad on the album.

Carey's albums may still sell well and she still gets lots of praise from me and I think she's going home with 2008's Best Actress Oscar, but she's not the same artist I fell in love with. Is that a bad thing that Carey became the real "her"? No. But Kelly has to know that a move like this is risky. I just hope she's prepared(good or bad) for that move.

I'm willing to give it a chance. I just really hope it lives up to the hype her fans have put forth.

• Members

From Perez:

To compensate for the fact that her new album, My December, sucks hardcore - it's leaked online and we've heard the whole shiteous thing, Kelly Clarkson is about to embark on a summer tour and a massive media push.

The former Idol winner is on the cover of the new issue of Elle, and we have a sneak peek at her interview with the mag.

On battling with record industry executives over the release of My December:

"I've sold more than 15 million records worldwide, and still nobody listens to what I have to say. Because I'm 25 and a woman...My resistance upsets a lot of people, because we could make a lot of money. And I'm not hatin' on money. But you know in Funny Girl, when they make Barbara Streisand sing the 'beautiful girl' song, and she is singing these lyrics and she knows she's not that person? I'm just not comfortable doing things that don't feel like me."

On declining an offer of $10 million by Clive Davis to ditch five of her songs for more radio-friendly picks of his choosing:

"I am a good singer, so I can't possibly be a good writer. Women can't possibly be good at two things. I haven't lost my temper about it. It only drives me more. If your thing is to bring me down, cool. I'll just work harder."

On being famous:

"I could give a crap about being a star. I've always just wanted to sing and write."

On unflattering paparazzi shots:

"I'm fine with it. I just don't care. I don't wear makeup in public. I don't worry about what I'm wearing. Hell, I wore pajamas in high school."

On being ambivalent about her success:

"It is weird when a 12-year-old tells me I am their favorite artist. I'm always like, It's just because you're young and you haven't heard everybody yet. In time, I'll be weeded out. And that's cool. I know I'm a good singer, but I know who I am, too."

On not wanting children:

"My point of view is that I shouldn't be a mother at all, because I'd be horrible. I'm not willing to be that selfless."

On marriage:

"I'm not keen on marriage. I don't let many people in. Men come and go. Friends are what I care about."

On her 'type':

"I can't stand pretty boys. The guys I date are the just-rolled-out-of-bed, scruffy type. Baseball cap, flannel shirt. Like Luke on Gilmore Girls."

On never having been in love:

"I know people probably think I've been heartbroken, because of the stuff I've sung and written. I love my friends and family. But I have never said the words 'I love you' to anyone in a romantic relationship. Ever. I am very old-school, conservative in my thinking when it comes to relationships. Love is something you work at. It doesn't come easily. There are going to be bad days. You are going to have to work at loving someone when they are being an idiot. People think they're just going to meet the perfect guy. Don't be ridiculous."

On her bad qualities:

"I tend to be early. I'm not patient. I have no tolerance for stupidity. I work too much. All my conversations revolve around my job. So I'm boring."

On her childhood:

"I had a really big issue with self-consciousness when I was young. I was highly emotional. I worried so much. For most of my childhood I was walking on eggshells trying to make everyone happy."

On refusing to talk about past relationships:

"When it comes to certain parts of my life, I won't allow myself to be vulnerable at all. I have a lot of trust issues. Most people are like that, I think."

• Members

Wow...this is like Motolla and Mariah all over again, minus the marriage and sex.

I feel really bad for her. She just seems SO bitter.

Whitney suffered through the same thing with Clive, saying in the controversial 2002 Diane Sawyer Interview that she let go of a "svengali relationship" when he left Arista.

So, I guess no gay dance mixes? :(

Archived