My Grandmother Has Alzheimer's Disease

Roman

• Members

I don't even know what to say.

I love my grandmama so much. And to see the strong woman that I grew up with slipping away.....

I don't mean to dumo this anyone, but please.

Tell your loved ones and the people you care about how much you love them, before it's too late......

And that chance is lost.

• Replies 17
  • Created
  • Last Reply
  • Members

Awe Roman - I'm so sorry to hear this. My Aunt had Alzheimers for many years before the doctors even discovered what she had. She was close to 50 when they finally diagnosed it.

My suggestion to you and your family is learn all you can about it, there are so many websites out there that offer the information and there are many books out there on this subject. Your best defense is knowledge. There is no cure for this disease and it will be a strain on the family for sure. Be strong, sweetie. Your Grandmother and the family will need your strength.

If you ever need to talk about this, you know where I am. :)

Jen

• Members

Really sad news for you and your family. This is one of those things that in the end is so very hard for the people who remember. My grandfather also had the disease, and it was brutal for his wife and daughter.

I highly recommend the book the 36 Hour Day by Mace and Rabins.

The only shared advice I can offer is to try to enjoy them for who they are now when they are still communicative. Don't beg for them to remember people and places that they cannot. I had to introduce myself often to my grandfather, but that was far easier and more comfortable for both of us than being reminded that something was wrong with his memory. It made him ashamed for not knowing, until he could no longer communicate that either. I had to learn to love him as he was, and to carry on his memories in my own mind.

• Members

My paternal grandmother developed Alzheimer's disease in her mid-70's and finally passed away at 83. Back in those days (1970's) they just called it senile dementia. Granny was college-educated and a savy businesswoman which was unusual for a woman in her day (born in 1897). It was so sad to see her slowly move away from us. When she was on her death bed, my dad said, through his tears, that what was left was only the shadow of who his mother was. I am grateful that I knew her in better days. I was 19 when she passed away; my brother and sister (both younger) don't remember Granny when she was in command of all her faculties. My maternal grandmother had everything wrong with her physically, but no dementia. She said she would keep all her pain and physical ailments rather than go the way of Granny. Once your mind is gone, what is the point anyway? With all of the baby-boomers (myself included) reaching our middle years, I sure hope a cure is found for this horrible disease.

• Members

Awe Roman, I'm sorry that your grandmother is going through this. It's going to be very hard on you all to deal with this. One thing I can say is to be patient. You may get frustrated with her, but remember it's not her fault.

I'll be praying for you all. You know where to reach me if you need to talk man.

• Members

Roman, I am very sorry. I just want to comment on what Ryan said. Patience is a virtue when it comes to the disease. If you would like, I can refer you to some of the best sites I know about the disease. I called a colleague and she recomended this site. This is a tour of the brain, and it explains the functions of the brain, and how Alzheimers affects it. The 8th slide begins the Alzheimers lesson.

http://www.alz.org/alzheimers_disease_4719.asp

• Members

Roman, I am sorry you and your family is going through this, and I know it will be a hard thing for your family to go through. You need to be there for your loved ones and not stray away from them, not now. If there is anything, anything at all, you want to vent, or just to talk, you know where to find me.

• Members

Oh, Roman! This makes me cry! I can't even imagine the pain you must be going through! :(

Be strong, as best you can! Your whole family needs to be strong for this! I agree you should know all about this you can. Just, be there for those who need you and be the selfless person you already are.

I feel so sad for you, and you are in my prayers, my good freind. :(:(

• Members

Oh Roman. I am so sad for you and your family. I wish there was some way that I could take some of the pain that you must be feeling away from you. If you ever need a friend to talk to, you know I am just a PM away. I will send prayers your way. Take care

• Members

I know how you are feeling. I'm going through the same situation myself and it is so very difficult to see the one that you love slipping away. It is so hard because it isn't easy to deal with. Everytime I see her, I nearly fall to pieces because I can't do anything to fix it. And my family is coping as best as they can and putting on a brave face but as it progresses, it just gets tougher.

• Members

My step-grandfather on my mom's side had it. He died recently. Only a few months after my Ninnie died. I can't imagine what you're going through, Roman. I hardly ever saw my Papa Doyle, but when I did, it was heartbreaking. He would always ask the same question time and time again and ask me how school was going in the middle of the summer. And it hurt my heart knowing that he didn't have any control over it.

And for it to be your grandmother, that's alot to deal with. Both of my grandmothers were very near and dear to my heart. Now, they're both gone. It's taken a while, but I think I'm getting my brave face back.

I will always keep you and your family (as well as her) in my thoughts and prayers. And if you need to talk, PLEASE don't even hesitate to send me a P.M. or an e-mail!!!

Love ya, bud! ;)

• Members

Roman, I am very sorry your grandmother has Alzheimer's. My neighbor who I have known since I was born is in her early 80's and she has started to get dementia really bad and its sad watching some lovely neighbor slowly drifting away. I can't imagine it being someone in my family, my prayers will be with you and your family.

Archived