ATTN: Canadian Passions fans!!

• Members

As we all know by now, Global is cancelling Passions in September. It has no plans to continue to air the show when it moves to DirecTV.

This means we have to help our soap find a new Canadian network!!

Go to http://www.nbc.com/Footer/Contact_Us/ and click the drop-down menu and select Passions. Please email NBC and demand that they find a new Canadian broadcaster for Passions. Make it clear that we are a hugely loyal, dedicated fanbase, and Passions will lose us if we can no longer watch our show.

Please do what you can to support Passions! We don't want to miss it when it continues on DirecTV...remember, DirecTV isn't offered in Canada, so if Passions is not sold to another Canadian network, we will have to resort to torrents and stealing satellite signals to see our show.

Please email NBC now!! http://www.nbc.com/Footer/Contact_Us/

• Replies 28
  • Created
  • Last Reply
  • Members

the NBC television network will not be able to help you get a new canadian distributor for the show. The broadcast network doesn't share in the revenus of foreign broadcasts. The owners and production company do. And NBC Universal and NBC TV are not the same. And they're not going to force someone in Canada to broadcast the show.

If you are wanting Passions to air in Canada, you will need to focus on potential Canadian distributors. Like CTV. Or Chum Television. Or some cable outlet. You need to get someone up here interested enough to pick up the show.

• Members

CTV originally had it, but traded it with Global for General Hospital. I wouldn't think they'd be interested in it again. It doesn't seem to fit with their daytime B&B and GH block.

I would think your best bet would be Chum, paired with AMC and OLTL on the NewNet/A Channel local stations.

• Members

Glabal seems the best bet. If they don't pick it up, it's done in Canada.

I don't see CHUM taking it, especially soon when it will be owned by CTVglobemedia which runs CTV. CTV did air it after AW went off but traded it with Global for GH since Global had a monopoloy on daytime in Canada. At one point Global aired Y&R, DOOL and GH; after the CTV deal in exchange for PSNS, they were able to pick up ATWT and GL for its second channel, CH but ATWT moved to Global immediately after it won the 2001 emmy.

Anyway, Showcase doesn't really have the budget, even for PSNS. Also, Showcase is a specialty channel so the ratings will be significantly lower that Global.

• Members

Despite Muchmusic going all MTV-like since my junior high days, I seriously doubt it'll ever pick up Passions. I think Global would be the show's best bet. But considering that it's airing three other soaps (Days, ATWT, and Y&R), I don't think they'll feel a great if they dump Passions for good.

• Members

Haha...yeah, I suppose it is. I don't necessarily want Passions done in Canada but I can't say I care one way or the other. I was thinking that maybe CH could pick the show up since they already air GL (and Y&R in some cities) but someone just said they're going to be owned by CTV now?

Archived