OLTL: Carolyn Hinsey's latest column

• Replies 10
  • Created
  • Last Reply
  • Members

Valentini is really praising the life out of this young tween, it is almost nauseating. I hope OLTL doesn't fall prey to DAYS dumb trap of having teen storylines take over with MEGA focus. Until recently I thought it was very balanced but lately thier "High School Musical" version SL is getting a lot of airtime. IMO, I don't care HOW good this young kid was, there is no need to give him ALL that credit when you just sent off several veteran characters.

• Members

I totally agree with you Ridge. This kid is getting WAY too much praise from Valentini, who I have now lost all respect for. I could understand, If OLTL picked up someone that we care about (no offense to the kid), but he isn't much. Timothy Stickney is doing Playbill's now. He is in Hamlet, and I dont see Valentini praising him. I guess that Frons called for the storyline, so Valentini has no choice but to praise what Brian praises. Go figure.

• Members

The teen viewership even on the highest rated soaps is not high enough to sustain a show. They need to be focusing on pleasing the core audience so they don't continue to lose viewers. Instead of firing big names like Phil Carey and Renee Goldsberry, they need to stop hiring so many contract newbies so they can afford to pay for the people we want to see.

Plus, it's almost like OLTL is afraid of old characters, same for ATWT. The people they keep bringing on should be past characters not tons of new characters to suit the other new characters. And to make matters worse, that awful casting director is casting mediocre actors which makes it even more painful.

If they think this teen scene can carry the show then they will be in for a shock once this story kicks in. Maybe DAYS will have some competition for biggest fall from grace.

• Members

A girl will get hurt? I hope it won't be Starr... mainly because it will be all about Cole's quest to see her; and more boring ass Todd/Blair. I'm hoping it's Langston really, she's the only other teen that I like and I would love to see more of her doing her own thing.

So, Jessica will tell Antonio... finally!

• Members

From what I understood, Jonathan Groff/ Henry was and still is a short term character. He'd already left, and they had to call him back to reshoot some scenes. This is a lot of airtime and praise for someone you don't have on contract. It's good exposure for him, but if he is getting rave revues and leads on Broadway, OLTL would be just a brief stopping place.

• Members

The girl who gets hurt could be Starr, Langston, Britney, or even one of her friends (Amber, Amy) or the new girl Heather. But my money's on Britney she she is the one that has really treated him like dirt. I could be wrong, but that's where I'd place my money. LOL

I agree with Chris....OLTL seems to be afraid of old characters right now. Other than Marty (and Sarah, who is currently being recast), it's been a long time since any old character has returned to Llanview. The last I remember was Carlo Hesser a couple of years ago.

But there are sooo many characters that they could bring back that fans would really be pleased with. Like: Rachel, Kevin, Kelly, Tina, Cord, CJ, Joey, Hank, Larry, Carlo, Alex, Cassie, Andrew, River, Addie....and that's just scratching the surface. But instead we keep seeing more and more new characters all the time.

I also don't know why they feel the need to constantly bring on more and more new characters when they rarely use half the ones (both contract and recurring) that they have now.

How often do we really see half of the cast? Holidays, weddings, funerals and special events....that's about it.

It's beyond comprehension to me....

• Members

Higley doens't like to write for characters she didn't create.

I find it interesting to see just all the points ES made come true.

FV's praise for Henry reminds me very much of his praise of IWBASS Mikey and TT. Henry may be talented but if he is his talent will win viewers over not FV's moronic gushing.

I'm waiting to see if OLTL follows DOOL over the edge.

• Members

a school hostage/.shooting type thing because a kid is picked on? followed by a highschool musical to bring school spirt basck up? been there and done that with a much better cast. tho i do think its always a good stoy line to tell if told right, because its so real as we all know again.

its kinda bummer they had to drop it actually. but i understand why.

Archived