Outstanding Drama Series & Outstanding Writing/Directing Team

Toups

• Replies 145
  • Created
  • Last Reply
  • Members

I find it funny that many on the board were "anxiously" awaiting someones take on GL's winning the Writing and show award.

Why? Who knows.

Do they even have a writing or producing credit to their name?

It was great that GL was noticed and WON...any real fan would acknowledge that and be happy for the show.

• Members

It was sympathy win. The show sucks big balls!! A real fan would want only the best for the show. And David K is not giving us that. Today's pathetic show proved it. Hell, his whole year has proved it. He got an award for butchering the soap.

• Members

THANK YOU! Everytime someone mentions this, someone else keeps harping on about how much it sucks that DK got the writing award for all the damage he's done to the show. Thing is...that's NOT what he was judged on. It was simply about two episodes..which happened to be excellent submissions.

And I'd also like to add that if we applied the same logic that people who think GL's win is undeserved to the other categories, we'd be getting completely different outcomes as well (except maybe in the case of Lead Actress). Berman would have won over Landon, Bergman would have won over LeBlanc, Pelphrey or Hansis would have won over McClure...you get my drift...

• Members

Honestly SJ, I think that is my problem. I see DK's writing as a whole, moreso than any individual episode. Plus, it is also a pretty well known fact that when the Writing category is judged, what is judged first and foremost is the dialouge, not necessarily the plotting, which is obvious since they cannot judge on the entire year. I suppose I can use that as some defense mechanism lol. It's not Kreizman, it's the script writer for that day. But oh well. That's just my $.02.

I'm really not sure why this matters. None of us have our names on the credits, but that doesn't stop any of us from raving or ranting.

Hell, I believe we (general we) are the MOST qualified to give our opinions about these shows. We are the audience. The consumers. In the end, we make or break a show. Many of us devote our lives to these shows, an hour a day.

In the end, however, we have different tastes. Some are applauding GL's win. Others are pounding their fists. I'm the latter. Neither extremes are necessarily correct, but that's all the fun, isn't it? SON wouldn't be so damn great without a little drama. Of course, our brand of drama is about ten times more exciting than anything these soaps have come up with in years lol.

• Members

But you also know that people are judging two reels, not the writer's entire portfolio.

Really? Shouldn't the dialogue reveal something about the plot? If not, then what's the point of the dialogue in the first place? If it doesn't have one, it most likely shouldn't be submitted for a writing award.

I think the other person (forgot who made the original post) has a point, though. Isn't it other writers who are judging the writing category? Everyone can rant and rave, but obviously, some people will have more experience or objectivity to judge the work.

The consumer isn't always right. This is getting a tad overanalytical but as viewers, we have our own biases. If a character we hate were being played by a really great actor and being given great stories, it could very well still be considered crap writing

If we're to throw the Emmy rules about judging only two tapes, then I'm with you. But that's not reality.

Archived