Poll: Best daytime soap of the 1980's

Max

Best daytime soap of the 1980's  

145 members have voted

1. 1. What was the best daytime soap of the 1980's?

• All My Children
    • Another World
    • As the World Turns
    • The Bold and the Beautiful
    • Capitol
    • Days of Our Lives
    • The Doctors
    • The Edge of Night
    • General Hospital
    • Generations
    • Guiding Light
    • Love of Life
    • Loving
    • One Life to Live
    • Ryan's Hope
    • Santa Barbara
    • Search for Tomorrow
    • Texas
    • The Young and the Restless

• Members

I thought that it would be an interesting poll topic as to which was the best/your favorite soap of the 1980's. When responding to the poll, make sure you consider only how each soap was in the 1980's, as opposed to judging each soap based on its entire run.

My choice in this poll is a surprising one (to most people): AW. (I concede that few of even the most die-hard AW fans concur with my belief that it was the best soap of the 80's.) However, I thought that AW presented some of the best and most exciting storylines and new character introductions of that decade. In the very early-80's, AW presented such gripping storylines as the St. Croix storyline and the murder of Janice. The era from circa 1982 to 1985 (which many AW fans seem to dislike) was a very interesting one to me: you had the character of Cecile (IMO, AW's best vixen ever) causing havoc around all of Bay City; you also had the introduction of many legendary characters including Cass, Felicia, Carl, Donna, Jake, Vicky, and Marley. In late 1986 and early 1987, the Sin Stalker storyline terrified every single viewer; it is still regarded as one of the best serial killer storylines in soap history. The late 1980's completed AW's addition of new characters (most of which would remain with the show well into the late-90's): Sam, adult Amanda, adult Matt, and Frankie. Two of the hottest soap couples were introduced at this time: Sam and Amanda and Cass and Frankie. Even among those AW fans who didn't like the show in the early- and mid-80's, there was an acknowledgement that the late 1980's sparked a great rennaissance in the show's history, making the show just as good (or almost as good) as AW's "golden-era" of the 1970's.

Before I conclude, I must admit that it is hard to decide which soap of the 1980's was the best, since so many were so good during that decade. I'd like to acknowledge that all of the other P&G soaps--ATWT, TEON, GL, SFT, and Texas--were terrific in the 1980's as well (despite the fact that each P&G soap did go through some bad periods during the 80's). Out of the non-P&G soaps, I would say that OLTL and SaBa were the best in the 80's. Interestingly enough, out of the five most popular soaps of that decade--GH, AMC, OLTL, Y&R, and DOOL--the only soap whose 80's storylines I liked was OLTL. As a matter of fact, I think that DOOL and GH--with their campy and unrealistic storylines--were two of the worst soaps of the 1980's. Finally, I want to state that of all the soaps that debuted in the 80's (B&B, Capitol, Generations, Loving, SaBa, and Texas), only B&B, Generations, SaBa, and Texas were good soaps.

P.S. Even though LOL is one of the poll choices, be aware that it was only on the air for one month in the 1980's: it was cancelled in February 1980.

• Members

I voted OLTL, as it was the only soap I was really paying attention to in the 80s. LOVED the show and it was a favorite of mine. I loved the antics of Tina and she and Cord were my reasons for watching. Add classic Max and Gabby and Clint and Viki, the late 80s espeically were fantastic

• Members

I chose As the World Turns as written by Douglas Marland.

Millee Taggart and Tom King were good too. Marland's tenure was the best.

The Frannie/Douglas Cummings/Kim story is one of the best ever done.

Sure,he may have had a few clunkers like the ghost in the castle storyline and the convoluted Daryl Crawford story,but overall his ATWT was the best!

• Members

I picked Y&R. It was the first soap I started watching with my great-grandmother. Lauren/Danny/Traci triangle, Traci's easting disorder, Nikki/Victor love affair, introduction of the abbots, Cricket (Christine) is raped, Jess Walton's Jill introduced, Peter Bergman's Jack is introduced, Phillip's death, Rose kidnapping Nina's child.

I must also say OLTL. I remember being addicted to this show in the late 80s. Eterna, Vicki/Nikki, Gabrielle/Cord/Max/Tina, Ursula (played by the talented Jill Larson currently of AMC), Micheal Grande. I LOVED this soap back then.

In general soap were ALOT better during this decade.

• Members

AMC definately. Even though I was only 5 when the 80's ended I know what went on with alot of the soaps and AMC cleary owned the decade in both critical acclaim and ratings too. #2 right behind GH for most of the decade. We had several great storylines. Greg/Jenny romance, Michael E. Knight makes the role of Tad the Cad Martin his own. The Chandler name comes to Pine Valley. Aids storyline, Mark's drug addiction, Erica Kane's career takes off, Cliff/Nina, Angie/Jesse. God how I wish I was born in 1965 instead of 1985 that way at 20 I could be enjoying those very storylines :(

Archived