Y&R: 18 years on top

• Members

From this site (by the end of 2008, it’ll be 20 years or 1044 weeks):

#1 for 18 Years Celebration!

January 8, 2007- What does it take to be the the #1 Daytime Drama, day after day, year after year, for 18 years? A couple of creators who have their finger on the pulse of the heart of America, compelling stories that make you laugh, make you cry and make you scream at the television, talented actors who give you a hundred percent of their game every day and a crew with an eye for detail that spells perfection. Y&R is the standard that other shows aspire to.

As the cast and crew gathered to celebrate another year at #1, we decided to bring to you the behind-the-scenes magic. The moving speeches, the laughter and don’t forget the cake, are all here to share with you, kind audience. Thanks for making Genoa City your #1 destination.

Edward J. Scott

Supervising Producer

“Albert Einstein once said ‘There are two ways to live your life. You can live your life as if nothing is a miracle or you can live your life as if everything is a miracle.’ My return to Y&R after a two year absence was because I believe that you live your life as if everything is a miracle. I didn’t want to miss one more day of what I call the Y&R miracle. I didn’t want to miss one more episode of a television drama at its finest. I didn’t want to miss one more day working with people that I deeply respect and admire. I didn’t want to miss another day of having the privilege of working with the wizards behind the Y&R miracle. That is why we are here today. Each one of you has given 100 percent of yourselves to create something absolutely extraordinary. The Y&R miracle. Each one of you has contributed talent, energy, enthusiasm and drive, and, yes, personality to create Y&R, an American and cultural icon for the past 33 years. Y&R. The standard for television serial drama. Y&R. The jewel in the tiffany network crown. Y&R, which is today, the number one daytime drama for over 18 years.”

“We are here to honor your achievements. We are here to acknowledge and recognize your artistry, your talent and your commitment for the past 18 years. Here’s my short list of the wizards behind the Y&R miracle and they just happen to number 18. Bill and Lee Phillip Bell, our creators, our conscience, our guide both in this world and the next. Our producers, or our Executive Producer, Josh Griffith, and our Coordinating Producer, John Fisher. Executive Producer and Head Writer, Lynn Marie Latham and her team of talented writers who mine Y&R’s rich history and complex characters for superlative storytelling. The Y&R stellar cast, headlined by Jeanne Cooper, Eric Braeden, Melody Thomas Scott and Doug Davidson, who have neared or surpassed their thirtieth year on the show. Along with many other brilliant actors who have been with us for decades. Y&R’s very gifted next generation of acting talent. Your talent is awesome. All of you. Our award-winning directing team, the best in the business. Sony Pictures Television. CBS Daytime under the leadership of Barbara Bloom, assisted by the always resourceful Margo Wayne. CBS TV City Mark Clauson, Pat Walker and their dynamic support team. They always take good care of us. Art Direction, Bill Hultstrom and his team of incredibly gifted designers and decorators. Costumes, Jennifer Johns and the wardrobe department and if you watch the show that is enough said. Two other people who make the show look amazing are Ray Thompson and Bill Roberts, our lighting directors. Hair and Makeup, Patty Denney and her team of sorcerers. Our musical team, Mike, Bryan, Jack and David. Our technical direction, under the leadership of Tracey Lawrence and running stage, we’ve got Herbie and Tom. Tommy Persson and his sound mafia. Mark Beruti and his tape team. Jennifer Scott, post production and her sidekicks. Josh O’Connell and Matt Olsen, our Associate Producers. Each and every one of our administrative staff. Our casting department headed up by Karen Rea, supported by Marisa Rodriguez. Elisa and Julie in Y&R publicity. Sony and CBS PR marketing and on-air promo departments. Last, Sony International TV division. Let’s give them and us a big round of applause!”

“With your continued support, Y&R will never yield the number one position. Thank you!”

Barbara Bloom

Senior Vice President, Daytime Programs, CBS Entertainment

“As I look across the faces gathered in this studio, I am, as always, extraordinarily inspired. I am inspired by the talent, the dedication and the community that has made Y&R #1 and has kept Y&R #1 for 18 years. In a world where media is coming at us, across to us from multiple platforms, from all different directions, it is no small feat to hold on to the hearts of viewers for 18 years. It is an accomplishment that everyone at CBS joins me in saluting you for. Platforms may change, media may evolve, but the simple connection of a good story, well told, will always be the cornerstone of drama. As I look at each of you, I know that I stand in the presence of master storytellers, in every capacity. And together, CBS, Sony and Bell Television will press forward and continue to support your extraordinary work and to bring your stories to the hearts of audiences everywhere. Congratulations!”

Lynn Marie Latham

Executive Producer and Head Writer

“I wonder, because so many of you have been on the show for so long, if you ever take the response of this series for granted. I don’t think that you do. I just came back from New Orleans and, Christian [LeBlanc] may have to come up and hold my hand because I may cry, but for the people there who have lost so much and others who have lost everything, Y&R is a touchstone. It is one of the largest markets and people told me over and over again that it was a constant this last year. I know that immediately after Katrina hit several people called CBS and asked for tapes to show at evacuation centers. So, what you give people is 5 hours of programming every week where they can come and see the citizens of Genoa City. And for that hour, these people are transported and you give them comedy and drama and tension. If the viewers did not appreciate what you give them, year after year, you would not be #1. The enduring legacy that Bill Bell gave to this country, and all but a few other countries, is a show and characters that are complex and compelling, characters that have been brought to life by the most talented ensemble on television. This is where I am really going to gush, and a lot of you know that I gush a lot. It is not only the talent of this cast, but this is literally and without a doubt, the nicest, kindest and intelligent cast that I have ever worked with in my career. I love coming into work every day!”

• Replies 17
  • Created
  • Last Reply
  • Members

All of them can shut their mouths and repent for grinding Bill Bell's creative accomplishments into the ground. Now the vision is dead, like the real man. Y&R miracle? Gag me. A show that resorts to shitty whodunits, face transplants and stories about obscure Nazi art dealers is NOT the gold standard of drama. Ed Scott, you have NOTHING to be proud about because there is NO imagination in the Y&R of 2007. What do you think Y&R is, Ed Scott - I, Claudius?>

What a JOKE.

• Members

You have a point. Y&R isnt what it used to e. I am FFing through more of the show. Like I kant stomack PHILLY, Jack and Sharon are like blah blah blah to me. I hit the FF button on them. I still like the carmen Mesta muder, i know I am in the minority rabout that. I think I like the Kay and Jill story ut I have a hard time understanding what Katherine be talking about.

• Members

No. It wasn’t consistently #1 week after week. It was #1 for 20 years in the yearly averages. But other shows tied it for #1 a couple times. During the 1973-1974 season, DOOL and AW tied with ATWT with a 9.7. During the 1977-1978 season, AW tied with a 8.6.

• Members

Ed Scott is sooo sucking up to Lynn Marie Latham and "her team of talented writers who mine Y&R’s rich history and complex characters for superlative storytelling."

That's the most hilarious line of bull I've seen in a a good while. Thanks Edward for the laugh.

Archived