Canadian Broadcasting Corporation otherwise known as the CBC

cody_1990

• Members

I read this article today which gives very good points about the CBC and the other Two Canadian networks!

Here is a link to the article!

http://www.pulpanddagger.com/movies/essay_46.html

The article talks about the people's views on the CBC, many people say the CBC should go off the air and never return because it is crap and is just a big pain in the butt to Canadian taxpayers(the CBC is paid for by Taxpayers and the government of Canada). I think this is something that should not happen, I think the CBC should stay. Yes the CBC has been getting bad ratings but so,the CBC is the only Canadian network where you can go and watch real Canadian programming. The other two big networks in Canada (Global and the CTV)show a lot of American programming i mean a lot. I do not know why we even need to get the American networks here because we just have to turn on Global or CTV and we will see most of the American networks fall schedule. The CBC has Canadian shows made by Canadians for Canadians and that is what we as Canadians need programming that is made by us for us not some American show that can be seen on two or three other channels. I think the best part of the article is when the writer says if the CBC ended tomorrow and all the Canadian made programs that are on the CBC went with it people would notice, but if Global or CTV ended Tomorrow we would not notice because we would just have to turn on a American network and we would see the same programming. Yes the CBC does cost us money but it gives us good programming that the other networks in Canada don't have because they are to busy with shows like CSI or Grey's Anatomy that they have no time for Canadian programming. If we want to see these programs we will turn on the American network they are made by and watch them. That's what i say!

What do you think should happen to the CBC should it end or should it stay?

• Replies 10
  • Created
  • Last Reply
  • Members

There is not a doubt in my mind that the CBC must stay on the air.

The CBC is like BBC only not funded through cable box fees and not nearly as amazing. That said, it provides a key service. For people that don't live in southern Ontario, Alberta or Vancouver, the CBC is very important and a vital part of their social landscape. It offers high quality made-fors (occationally), important political satire, the best news service local to North America and a great website.

CBC is important and valuable. To say otherwise is, well, uneducated.

• Members

for me to continue funding the CBC through my hard-earned $$, I expect something in return from them. They air nothing I want to watch! And have done so for many years! Their vision of canada via their original programming is off IMO, as if you went by that - everywhere you'd look you'd be surrounded by natives, and have one token native friend. For me to want to give them my money, I want something in return!

• Members

The CBC should stay on the air!!

I already find it ridiculous how we don't have that many Canadian shows, with all the talent we have here and how mostly American shows get ratings, except in Quebec(b/c of the French shows and French networks that are good too for having such a low budget to work on).

I love the news specials on CBC, and I am so sick how Canada is becoming so Americanized :(

• Members

We need the CBC. I can think of many things that do not deserve our tax dollars, like corporate welfare and federal money for corporate venture capital projects (Export Development Corporation anyone?) that amounts to nothing for Canadians at a grass roots level. CBC benefits everyone.

We need CBC NEWSWORLD and its French language counterpart for obvious reasons; anyone who can't see that is an idiot.

Our CBC is famous for biting the government hand that feeds it. That's why we need it most. They do it to every government in power. This is their mandate and our guranatee of freedom as Canadians. CBC is the MOST protected electronic source of free information in Canada. It does not have to bow to the interests of CORPORATE owners as in GLOBAL, CTV, CITY; nor has it ever shied away from exposing political corruption. I'd say it's the most honest news outtlet in North America.

• Members

Toadstool, ICA.

The only reason people trash CBC is because they don't like the non-mainstream shows it airs. We were discussing the media's ability to bring awareness and one guy in my class was saying how the CBC had great documentaries that people weren't even paying attention to. Why the hell does an issue only gain attention only when Entertainment Tonight or whatever crap show discovers a celebrity promoting a cause and decides to do a story on it? I think it says more about our society than anything else. :(

Aside from television, CBC has great radio broadcasts. My aunt in Toronto always has her radio on to CBC. My mom also always listen to CBC and even has the radio tuned all day to the Radio-Canada. They play stuff you wouldn't hear if all they decided to play was mainstream material.

Archived