Thursday's Ratings - TV has NEW #1 show!

Toups

• Members

I wasn't blaming it on Africa alone. I think going outside the ER hurt alot and that combined with the creative lull the show was in due to so many stars leaving is what created the decrease. Also, the show became too dependent on shock and awe (Romano losing his arm, the tank, airplane and helicopter crashes, etc) so that hurt as well. It certainly can't be blamed on Luka/Abby. If anything, it was Carter/Abby because they were a couple during so much of this. I did like Carter and his girlfriend. They worked real well together.

ER just got hurt by too many fan faves leaving and very stiff competition that never existed on Thursday night's against them before. Now they have very little competition at that hour so if they deliver they could see big results this year. No repeats and a cliffhanger in December will also help. I love the fact the show is focusing on a smaller cast again and they have some great cast additions and guest appearances coming up. As I said, this is looking to be the best season since the days of Anthony Edwards so I am excited and would suggest the show to anyone right now.

Again, if you don't like Luka/Abby, I understand why you would choose not to watch so it's cool :) .

• Replies 74
  • Created
  • Last Reply
  • Members

Wow, I guess I was served by getting slammed for not spelling a word correctly. Oh well, 12:30 am with a screaming child does that to you.

Glad there are those that could only find that to slam me with. Good grief...how petty! Nothing better to do?

Point stands.

• Members

I don't think anyone should be surprised at GA doing so well - CSI is entering it's 7th season. The buzz around GA has been building for 18 months now!

As for GA vs DH I think most people seem to forget these are 2 completely different types of shows and that comparing the 2 is pointless:

GA = dramatic with comedic elements

DH = dark comedy with dramatic moments

To be honest I have been surprised at the hatred towards DH - I just watched the entire 2nd season on DVD and found it incredible entertaining. Not as cohesive as the first but in no way drastically different. With all the terrible comments I read online I was expecting it to be so bad but I found I kept watching straight from the 1 episode to the next. Of course it had weak points namely the Applewhite story (which although on its own was not bad it was not meaty enough to warrant a season long mystery as it could have been tied up half way through the season). I did not find Teri Hatcher/Susan as annoying as everyone on loads of msg boards has gone on on about. Marcia definitely had the most emotional storyline and overall I still found it very funny.

My take on why so much hatred? The first season was just plain overload in terms of press etc and of course the reports of backstage !@#$%^&*]iness did not help and unfortunately the show suffered a huge backlash. GA on the other had started out with mediocre reviews and semi-decent ratings that has built slowly over time. I enjoy GA but do not find it to be anything original it is just well written with likeable characters/actors and is simply a cross between St Elsewhere/ER/Felicity-type shows. I not saying that is a bad thing but I think the general hype of the rise of GA in the ratings earlier this year and then going up against CSI did contribute to its large ratings. I still expect it to maintain its high ratings but I think for some new viewers they are left wondering what the hype was all about.

• Members

You hit the nail right on the head in your post Days.... Grey's Anatomy is in no way original, but it is probably the best written primetime show on right now and just like daytime, awesome writing more often than not will bring in viewers. (Not all the time but its a good ingridient to have)

Desperate Housewives Season 2 was a disappointment on the whole but I think that was unavoidable after season's 1 huge hype I mean DH was EVERYWHERE. That being said season 2 was not a complete write off. It had very high points to go with the low points. Bree's story last season IMO has been the best story on the show so far and Marcia really was robbed of an emmy nomination/win if you ask me. I loved the final month of season two and alot of people agreed with me judging how the ratings rose in that last month and held steady for the awesome premiere on Sunday.

• Members

Viewers, too, have jumped ship. About 17.7 million tuned in for the season premiere--the smallest audience for a Survivor premiere since its inaugural season--and 17.4 million stuck around for week two. This week's episode drew 16.6 million, according to preliminary figures from Nielsen Media Research.

In a press release Friday morning, CBS ignored the slippage and touted the fact that Survivor: Cook Islands "topped the highly promoted premiere of [ABC's new telenovela] Ugly Betty."

Archived