Fashion House/Desire Ratings Bomb

R!ck

• Members

Is there a lot of former UPN and WB stations still airing UPN and WB programming instead of running My Network TV programming?

I thought all MNTV affiliates started airing MNTV shows once MNTV went on the air September 5th.

My local My Network TV is airing My Network TV in the 7pm-9pm Central time slot and airing WB programming at 9pm Central-11pm Central.

I guess the stations that pick up My Network TV programming on September 20th will start in the middle of the story instead of the beginning.

• Replies 43
  • Created
  • Last Reply
  • Members

I think this network has a chance at succeeding with this telenovela concept because fans will know that they can watch a complete series without having to worry about it getting cancelled. The reason why a lot of new shows fail is because a lot of fans don't want to take a chance on a show that they like getting cancelled before the series is complete which is usually five seasons or more.

I really believe that broadcast networks lose viewers over time when they cancel shows left and right. I don't even watch a lot of the same broadcast networks like I use to because of cancellations of my favorite TV shows.

The only new shows that I'm adding this season are the telenovelas on My Network TV. I don't want to watch any of the new TV shows on the other broadcast networks. I don't care how good they are.

• Members

These novellas will NEVER gain popularity. I've always expected ratings like they have, maybe they can get to average UPN ratings at some point, but I don't see a big hit.

Five days a week in primetime is too much to watch! When all the good, hit shows come on, I'm not going to say "Sorry Veronica Mars, my loyalty is with Fashion House." No one is.

They should look at other primetime soaps that air multi episodes per week. Peyton Place aired two episodes a week at it's most successful. Then it expanded to three, but that wasn't as successful. With the UK soaps for years they all aired two or three episodes a week, but now it's five and six in some cases and I'm sure because of it the ratings have dropped.

When this idea flops, I hope when revising it they cut the novellas down to two or three episodes per week and develop other programming to get people watching.

• Members

I for one have re-arranged my viewing schedule due to the telenovas. Thankfully I have DVR so I can watch the show I would normally watch later.

I rarely watch new shows due to them being cancelled mid-season (i.e. FOX, WB) so it's not like I'll be missing something special.

I'll also be able to miss episodes and not get angry. They re-air them them the following day at 3PM & 4PM ET.

There isn't one set date for the affiliates to begin changing over. Many affiliates changed mid-week last week and more will continue. Many wrestling fans were angry to tune into what was their UPN (future CW) channel only to see MyNetwork TV's "Desire" in the wrestling timeslot. They found out that the affiliate had made the switch that morning.

• Members

My Network TV will be airing original programming for 52 weeks (1 year) with no repeats. The telenovelas will air for 13 weeks (65 episodes). And once a telenovela is complete a new one begins.

The telenovelas were shot in HD and was filmed in San Diego, California.

If you go to mynetworktv.com and go to the "Local Stations" link you can find your local station and find out what time and channel the My Network TV telenovelas is on in your area.

Also, the mynetworktv.com website has a lot of great video on the characters that provide lots of great info. on the current storylines.

The telenovelas air new episodes Monday-Friday with recaps of those episodes in a one-hour highlights show on Saturday.

• Members

I'm wondering if, perhaps, they shouldn't scale back to 30 minute series. IMO, it might be easier (and more marketable) to have daily primetime chunks in smaller time formats. Of course, it would also allow for more series. Also, I'm wondering how having the entire line-up change every 13 weeks. To me, it would make more sense to start series on a rotating basis -- have one series at the mid-point and then launch the next series so that the beginning of one series overlaps with the middle of another series.

• Members

Thats a good idea Matt about scaling back to 30 minutes! It would hopefully eliminate all the flashbacks as well! The constant rotation of the lineup is strange, especiall if one of these becomes huge. Why dump it and risk losing that audience? Something like Fashion House I think should be a staple.

• Members

B)--><div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(Chris B @ Sep 9 2006, 08:32 PM) </div><div class='quotemain'><!--quotec-->

Five days a week in primetime is too much to watch! When all the good, hit shows come on, I'm not going to say "Sorry Veronica Mars, my loyalty is with Fashion House." No one is.

I would. But a ) I'm totally hardcore about soaps(I find soaps to be the highest form of shows on the TV Food Chain) b ) nothing fascinates me about most primetime TV shows anyway and c ) I would be the only one.

Most people who will watch MyNetworkTV will gravitate to it because its something different(Yes, there ARE people that don't watch GREY'S on Thursdays, believe it or not!) or they REALLY love soap operas.

I think if MyNetworkTV can get at least a 1.5-2.0 overnight for one of its programs before the end of the TV season, then they will have accomplished something.

You have to consider MANY things: a ) the flashbacks are integral to this sub-genre because of those people who may miss episodes for their favorites like GREY'S or VERONICA. b ) Bo Derek, Morgan Fairchild and other washed up headliners(like Tatum O'Neal) won't be interested in doing a nightly telenovela forever. Without the headliner, there is no buzz for the shows to begin with. As you've noticed, more articles have been on FASHION HOUSE instead of DESIRE. c ) MyNetworkTv promises NO REPEATS. Meaning networks are gonna have to get with it if they don't want to lose a chunk of their audiences(esp. during the summer) to a silly telenovela. An audience they may not ever get back.

• Members

B)-->

QUOTE(Chris B @ Sep 9 2006, 11:30 PM)

Thats a good idea Matt about scaling back to 30 minutes! It would hopefully eliminate all the flashbacks as well! The constant rotation of the lineup is strange, especiall if one of these becomes huge. Why dump it and risk losing that audience? Something like Fashion House I think should be a staple.

The whole point of the telenovela is that once it's done it's done. Maybe, they'll re-air it in another timeslot, but once the plots have come to an end, that's it. The fact that there is a finality to it that makes telenovelas popular.

• Members

Wow... can't believe you guys are getting your first telenovelas... Telenovelas came to Croatia in early 90's. And have been going on ever since... and believe me.. at first, they were hot and exciting.. but now... oh, God, make them stop!!! lol They are pretty much all the same.. :D

I'll stick to US daytime, thank you.. ;)

Archived