• Just a small note, as I was seeing the Kushner story taking off...    
    • Only if you insist.........   SHEMAR MOORE   THE YOUNG AND THE RESTLESS       Photographer Malcolm Winters  1994-2002; 2004-05; 2014; 2019   and......... BIRDS OF PREY       Jesse Reese      2002-03 CRIMINAL MINDS     F.B.I. Agent Derek  Morgan     2005-16; 2017 S.W.A.T.   Sergeant Daniel "Hondo" Harrelson    2017                       DARIUS McCRARY   THE YOUNG AND THE RESTLESS     Photographer Malcolm Winters   2009-11 STAR         Otis Leecan        2016-18   and.... FAMILY MATTERS        Eddie Winslow       1989-98 FREEDOM      James Barrett      2000-01 KINGPIN      Truck  Thomas    2003 COMMITTED       Bowie James    2005 ANGER MANAGEMENT      Donavan     2012-13 THE KING ASSASIN FAMILY          Eddie Winslow     2014 THE LEFTOVERS      Isaac Ramsey    2015 DA JAMMIES    Principal Cranshaw    2015-16 MONOGAMY      Connor      2018-19                         ADAM LAZARRE-WHITE   THE YOUNG AND THE RESTLESS     Nathan "Kong" Hastings  1994-96   and..... THE PARKERS         Kenny Davis    2001 G-SPOT        Payne Jones      2005-06                         NIA PEEPLES   DAYS OF OUR LIVES      Mallory              1983 GENERAL HOSPITAL   Carla Escobar      1983 THE YOUNG AND THE RESTLESS    Karen Taylor Winters    2007-09   and... FAME    Nicole Chapman      1983-86 NASTY BOYS    Serena Cruz     1990 RETURN TO LONESOME DOVE    Agostina Vega    1993 COURTHOUSE    Veronica Gilbert     1995 CRISIS CENTER    Lily Gannon      1997 WALKER, TEXAS RANGER   Sydney Cooke     1999-2001 BARBERSHOP    Detective Hahanna  2005 PRETTY LITTLE LIARS    Pam Fields         2010-17 THE FOSTERS          Susan      2017-18                           GILBERT GLENN BROWN   THE O.C.         Officer Patrick    2005 QUEEN SUGAR     Luther Briggs     2017 DYNASTY 2.0    Pastor     2018 THE YOUNG AND THE RESTLESS     Jett Slade  2019   and.... MERCY    Maintenance  Man       2010 THE INSPECTORS     Dean Evan Foley  2015-18 STARGIRL      James Chapel    2020  
    • I've been playing with this theory for awhile and I would be eager to see if anyone can help me gain more evidence.    My hypothesis is that a barometer for a nadir in a soap's production is when a first name gets recycled from a previously popular character.  I believe that this lack of creativity in character naming is indicative of a production team that either does not know the history of the show, or does not value the audience's long term investment in watching the show for years at a time.  Either way, these issues inevitably predict poor ratings and terrible plots.   It would be easy to argue that some names are very common, and given that most soaps take place in mid-west there would probably be many people in town who named their children with the same first name.  However, I would counter that this is a genre filled with well written characters named Raven, Draper, and Winter, so repetition seems unnecessary, if a writing staff is innovative.    Here are some examples of characters with the same first name who were introduced at a low point in the show's history.  The second one may have been more popular, but they were usually introduced during a period that fans disliked the direction of the show.  I would welcome more, but I want to hear your rationale, not just a list of repeated names.  Also, I would not include characters who were named after each other.  OLTL's Sarah Roberts was an inferior character to Sarah Gordon, but in the plot she was named after her late great aunt.   Another World:  Mary Matthews and Mary McKinnon - McKinnon was a nice character played by well liked actor, but her introduction was universally panned, it involved retconning the history of two different families and lacked logical cohesion   John Randolph and John Hudson - Hudson was another perfectly nice guy, but the character's last name made no sense because a few years earlier we learned that his brother was born Michael Garrison and changed his surname for business purposes, thus clearly written by someone who had not been watching the show   Vic Hastings and Vic Strang - honestly a tossup between the two characters, but Strang was written by Corrine Jacker, a writer who is widely disliked on these boards for good reason   General Hospital: Kevin Collins and Kevin O'Connor - most fans probably prefer Collins, even though his introductory storyline as a twin stalking psychiatrist was offensively bad.  However, O'Connor was launched during the horribly long and ill-plotted Laurelton murders.  During quarantine I re-watched the edit of the storyline on YouTube, the major plot point of having a bride go crazy on her wedding day as indicated by her singing Amazing Grace through the center of town was cringe inducing   David Hamilton and David Grey - poor Laura Spencer had the misfortune of killing David Hamilton and then disappearing because of the some forsaken story about Grey's eyes being hypnotic - a very poorly written exit for a legacy character that was never referenced upon her return   All My Children Jonathan Kinder and Jonathan Lavery - regardless of the character of Kinder, there was the inspired triumvirate of Skye, Erica, and Janet that brought new life to those characters, whereas Lavery's head injury was an egregious use of over-acting and misinformation   One Life to Live Lee Halperin and Lee Ramsey - a rare cross-gender case of renaming, Halperin's introductory storyline as a video dating pimp was nothing to write home about, but the soap was forced to changed the character's name when she was reintroduced because they were knee deep in the same-first-named Ramsey storyline which lead to the much hated "rapemance" of Marty and Todd.     Megan Craig-Riley and Megan Gordon-Harrison - Craig-Riley was a baby when she died in Vicky's car on the way to hospital causing her mother Cathy to go insane and later kidnap Vicky's son Joey, and while many will remember Gordon-Harrison more fondly, I would remind you that she was introduced to the Lord family through the Eterna storyline, which was not only criticized for its weird costumes and over the top climax, but also changed the tone of the show that a decade earlier had been filled with stories about social issues like drug addiction and racial inequality   Maggie Ashley and Maggie Carpenter - as much as fans like to make fun of evil twins kidnapping and taking over their sibling's lives like Maggie did to Pat, I have two words that prove the second same-named character is always more poorly conceived - circus nun     Guiding Light Ben McFarren and Ben Warren - McFarren was introduced during a critical resurgence of the show's popularity whereas Warren was an example of two kinds of plots that fans dislike; a retcon and a rapist   Eve Stapleton and Eve Guthrie - Stapleton and her sister Rita were also part of GL during a well regarded period of its history, Guthrie was an ill-planned spanner in the already unpopular Mindy/Nick romance, she flip-flopped between being evil and being misunderstood, and no one seemed to be able to explain either her motives or mental stability   Michael (Mike) Bauer and Michael Burke - it takes a lot of chutzpah to not only create a doctor with the same name of one of the legacy characters on the show, but also to have that doctor be responsible for cloning the lead actress.  For those in need of translation, chutzpah is not always a good quality   As The World Turns Kirk McCall and Kirk Anderson - few would argue that McCall's time on the show was necessarily a high point for ATWT, however Anderson's character literally disappeared without an explanation, that is what I consider bad writing in a genre that relies on exposition to try to make sense of usually very complex plots.  It was as if they were caught off guard and just dropped the ball on exiting a character from a central family tree     Summation I think the lesson learned from exploring all of these reiterations is that if a production team can't plan a new character with a unique name, then you cannot trust them to plan a plot that will hold a fan's interest.  

Sign in to follow this  

12 topics in this forum

1. July

• 0 replies
  2. December

• 0 replies
  3. January

• 0 replies
  4. November

• 0 replies
  5. May

• 0 replies