• 0 replies
    • 16 replies
    • 93 replies
    • 13 replies
    • 5 replies
  3. New NBC logo

• 13 replies
    • 16 replies

• Did copying General Hospital lead to success on any of the soaps?  It basically killed most of them, in my opinion.      
    • It feels clear they had no plan for Stafford, which leaves her largely to her own devices. Never a good thing. Gina was robbed.
    • For me, they went through all the trouble of snatching MS from GH, potentially alienating an audience who had gotten used to Gina’s interpretation, and then did nothing with Phyllis except turn her into a Lucy Coe-type comic relief busybody. They would have been better off keeping GT, who was better suited to this type of material by virtue of being a more versatile actress, than pairing MS with Melissa Ordway, nuAdam, and nuChance. They really haven’t made much hay out of her being the OG Phyllis, as the show has recently marginalized the one person who she had really clicked with over the years, Peter Bergman. I don’t think she’s responsible for the falling ratings, but her treatment is indicative of why ratings had been falling in the first place: she walked into a show with zero forward momentum or purpose.
    • I thought the first episode was amazing! i can't wait for the next one
    • 1985 was a weird year for AW.  Allen Potter retired as executive producer at the end of 1984.  He was replaced the first week of 1985 with Stephen Schenkel.  Potter "righted the ship" and kept AW on track for the majority of 1983-84.  While he did raise the ratings, Potter could not move AW from the middle of the pack, nor did he win an Emmy like he did at The Doctors and Guiding Light.  I suspect that if AW moved to the top of the ratings or won an Emmy, that Potter would have stuck around longer at AW.  Published reports at the time had ATWT executive producer Mary Ellis Bunim was to be the new executive producer at  AW, but she went to Santa Barbara instead.   I'm not sure where P&G and NBC found Stephen Schenkel.  After he left AW he was hired at All My Children.   Richard Culliton and Gary Tomlin started off the year as headwriters.  Then, there was a writer's strike in the Spring, and Sam Hall and Gillian Spencer were hired as headwriters in the summer.   They were terrible headwriters, perhaps penning the absolute worst storyline in AW history- the Egyptian urn with the poisonous dust that Carl Hutchins hoped would Mac and Rachel.  NBC even put full page ads in TV Guide hoping this garbage storyline would attract viewers to AW.