2006: The Directors and Writers Thread

• Replies 366
  • Created
  • Last Reply
  • Members

He came after them...meaning Latham and Benard. LML and Benard were writers from 86-91. Then they left. Interesting tibit that Michele Lee liked her their writing but John Pleshete(sp?) didnt like their writing. Joan Van Ark and Donna Mills also prefered Peter Dunne's writing better. He preceded them.

• Members

B)-->

QUOTE(Chris B @ Nov 2 2006, 07:33 PM)

But what is the big deal with the writing staff leaving? Y&R just reached 6 million viewers with Fridays episode. More and more people are tuning in and there's a refreshing feeling to the show.

Ahem, do you need to get rid of all established writers and producers just ”to breath life into it“ (The headwriter for haven’s sake is coining the direction of a show and not the goons around him/her!)?

Don’t know whether you watched this show: But just take “Commander In Chief” where Steven Boccho was sent to do the exact same thing. He failed miserably...

I don’t want Y&R to become that unrecognizable. LML seems to love the current cast - which is a good thing - but the changes surrounding it are still earth shattering. The people currently sent packing are those who gave Y&R their trademark often sophisticated writing style and overall look. If you dislike the show before LML tenure blame it on Jack Smith - he penned indeed some very crappy material during his last year.

• Members

I do recall Stephen Bochco on Commander In Chief, but I don't blame that on him. Rod Laurie was fired early in the series and the entire replacement (Bochco was replaced as well) was so rushed and poorly thought out. I think Latham's arrival is more thought out than that considering she's been watching since 2004 to catch up.

I don't see her changes as making Y&R unrecongnizable, but updating it. It;s the same thing she did when she was on Knots Landing. She gave the show an overhaul, but in the end she was the only headwriter to successfully keep their soap popular during the late 80s, through the 90s. I see a similar trend at Y&R. Last year people were so upset with the show that they were talking about not watching. Now there is a lot of drama about whats happening behind the scenes, but more viewers are coming in and the actual comments about the show aren't nearly as bad. Just friday the show got 6 million viewers which is fantastic.

I understand not everyone will like her revamped update, but in time I think it could work out fine. Much better than if she fails which will mean Alden and Smith back.

• Members

To Toups:

This should probably be posted in the director/writer thread:

OLTL:

I think Ginger Redmon is gone; replaced by Lisa Siedman

I googled Aida Croal. I believe she's a bisexual african american writer. There are many hits with her name and some queer writings. Hoorah for Frank Valentini trying to diversify. I've always said that OLTL is the gayest show on (not campy) but urban gay and that's thanks to Valentini, who is either gay and hot or straight but not narrow...

YR

Could Sally Sussman be gone, replaced by J. Stanley. She hasn't done a breakdown for awhile.

I think Janice Esser has been promoted to breakdown editor. I'm guessing, but I think that's why she's listed every day. Jack Smith was editing the breakdowns and her name began appearing as he was leaving. It would make sense that Latham would have a YR vet writer doing that job. Slater is still the script editor for the dialog writers.

And I have to say: does anyone believe the inside scoop by Erica4Life dude? Chuck Pratt consulting on GL? I don't think so. They'd have to fire the entire cast to pay him and he's working on nighttime. This is the same poster who told us six months ago that Armus was taking over AMC. Kay Alden at ATWT...also highly doubtful. I could see CBS paying her to be a creative consultant to Bloom, the way ABC did with Agnes Nixon, who became a consultant to Frons.

I think Kriezman will stay through June 07 at least.

We'll see....

xoxoxoxo

• Members

When was Agnes consulting for Frons? I thought she'd been gone from the scene for a couple years or more. I thought they only trotted her out for damage control for a couple of particuarly awful moves.

I can't see CBS hiring Pratt for daytime. But then I still can't see the mess ABC has made of all their shows or figure out how on earth they've let GH be such a disgusting mess for about 5 years now.

• Members

Get your facts straight. It was Errol and SON who reported that Burton Armus would be taking over AMC.

I also was privy to that info and it was really happening. Just because something was slated to happen months ago and didn't take place, doesn't mean that Errol or the SON staff was lying.

Brian Frons and Burton Armus bumped heads one time too many according to my sources. Armus is totally against the Un-abortion and he refused to come aboard without Julia Barr and the Opal lady on contract. He doesn't care for teen storylines or demographics. The man is a multiple Emmy Winner highly respected in nighttime t.v. so he wasn't used to dealing with control freaks like Brian Frons.

Can anybody see how such a deal might go wrong? It doesn't take a rocket scientist.

There's a long history of writers signing up with a show and then ending up not writing for that show. Lorraine Broderick was signed to write "Days of Our Lives" but was replaced at the last minute by somebody else. Henry Slesar was signed to take over "The Doctors" but then EON gave him a raise and he stayed put. Harding Lemay was reported to be returning to "Another World" after a writer's strike ended, but then the network kept Donna Swajeski and he never came aboard. These are just a few notable examples.

Nobody who reports industry information has an "all-seeing" crystal ball. We can only give the scoop we get from reliable sources, and then many times those facts change course for whatever reasons.

This is why I tell people to welcome our "tidbits" as speculation.

I always say that, but people like you somehow can't read.

I'm not god and I never claimed to be, but I have reported an awful lot of information that has turned out to be true (Reilly storming out of DAYS months before his contract was up, [s.W.S.N.B.N.] "ghostwriting" which a few weeks later was blown wide open by the media, I reported Kay Alden 2 months in advance and she IS "ghost consulting" for ATWT). Were you aware that Charles Pratt's first soap he ever watched was "Guiding Light" (his mother's favorite) and that the show has sentimental value to him? Not everything is about money, but even so, P&G is spending big bucks right to now to shore up their soaps. They don't want to be replaced by any new CBS-Bell soaps.

So you need to drop the insults and just say what YOU think and what YOU believe and leave my name out of it. The information you just posted is no more reliable than the information that I have posted.

It's always ALWAYS speculation, because nobody here is god.

OK

• Members

EricaHONEY:

Firstly, LeMay did return to AW for eleven weeks. He was dumped because Swajeski/Zazlow/Hufford/Iacubio/Leahy/Radell, the scab writers during the strike, had done an awesome job of keeping the show going without a story bible. Remember, DePriest had left three months before the writer's strike and Sheri Anderson was writing out of her ass with Thom Racina. Lemay's 11 weeks were abysmal.

Slesar would have never really gone to The Doctors as he really wasn't all that excited about medical plots or traditional fare. He turned Somerset into a crime drama and his six months on SFT was a bore because they wouldn't let him turn it into a crime drama. Did you know he was story consultant in the late 80s for Another World, after his stint on Capitol? He was my idol, I wish Henry were around today.

I still don't buy Pratt at CBS/P&G. This guy was consultant on last year's biggest hit on ABC, Desperate Housewives. And if he's consulting, he should make sure his name doesn't appear on the GL credits, because the show is still a creative mess. Why are we watching Dumb and Dumber, I mean Marina and Remy, running around trying to solve crimes? Why is Olivia embroiled in the most insufferably boring love story with Buzz, and pitted against Michelle Ray Smith, who is possibly the worst actress on daytime right now..next to Davetta from Y&R? Why are we watching Reva (poor Kimmy who must be placating her misery with gallons of Ben & Jerry's) miraculously recover from breast cancer that she hid from the entire town for six months, not losing a breast, flatlining then waltzing around SP to compete with Luke/Laura sweeps?

No, no...the college interns, Kriezman/Wheeler/Hamilton/Staneart are behind this dreck.

Let's have some good scoop that comes true. I'm sorry but anyone could say anything to start a rumor.

Here's one. A friend of mine works in advertising in NY and said that Curlee/Demorest are working on a bible for Fron, for AMC. They will likely get the job.....prove that!

• Members

Toups:

CBS.com recently updated Y&R credits to delete John Smith. They updated the writers list and took out Sussman and added Stanley. They still have Friewald but not Casiello. I think Friewald is gone too. Not sure Casiello made it to a contract after six outlines....

Maybe Sussman will headwrite GL?

• Administrator

Thanks for telling me about the updates. So I guess SSM's last episode was October 23.

Wonder where Friedwald is. Maybe vacation or time off?

Yeah, I guess Casiello was freelancing. I always thought he was a weird choice for Y&R.

DAYS

- Rick Draughon last listed as Associate Head Writer on November 16

We'll see if this is another Michael Slade situation where he's off the credits and back in again.

Archived