7th Heaven

JERSoapsFan

• Replies 41
  • Created
  • Last Reply
  • Members

I believe it's been said that The CW is looking to be a network focused on the teen to young adult demographic. I don't believe 7th Heaven really fits in with their new vision. Ratings mean nothing when it comes to the demos, which is what The CW is looking to capitalize on. 7th Heaven's large production costs are also to blame for it's cancellation. As series age, actor's salaries rise. Ten years later, a little network like The WB doesn't make enough money off of 7th Heaven to make it worth their while to produce. The decision was made to cancel 7th Heaven prior to the news of the WB/UPN merger. Despite the rumors that the core cast had been approached for another final season, I highly doubted the show would return. The plans to finish the series were already in effect and it was more than likely too late to rewrite the final episodes of the season to accommodate a surprise eleventh year. Bummed as we all are, I think our only hope will be for a 7th Heaven spin off, which of course, will be aimed more to the demographic The CW is targeting. Which, could be the reason for the mini cliffhanger between Sandy and Simon at the end of tonight's finale. If a spin-off is in the works, Simon and Sandy would be the couple The CW would most likely choose.

• Members

Like I mentioned in another thread, Joe (or was it this one, I forget lol), Brenda Hampton, the show's writer mentioned in an article that the production costs weren't much more than other hit WB shows (I'm thinking probably Smallville, ESPECIALLY with all those special effects..) It basically came down to the fact that "Heaven" drew the ratings but just wasn't "hip" enough. Sometimes networks cancel for stupid reasons. (Many of you have pointed out ABC's nice hit "Crumbs" going into oblivion for no *real* reason...it's happened with other shows, too). Honestly, I'll never believe in the excuse they handed down. I do think the WB was nice enough to let them make it until they beat "The Waltons" or whichever show it was that once held the crown for longest family drama, because that is an accomplishment and reflects well on the network, but after that, they just dropped them. Again, with "Smallville" and all its special effects on top of all the salaries, I just don't buy that "Heaven" literally *couldn't* go on.

• Members

Was I the only one disappointed in the finale? I have liked the last few episodes, but the finale really let me down. I hated the way they brought back Jessica Biel. If they weren't going to give her "real" scenes with the family, they shouldn't have brought her back at all!

Also, so is Simon Sandy's baby daddy?!?! I would have liked a more definite answer to that question. I guess I had my hopes up that last show would be great...man was I wrong!

• Members

Actually, AD, if board reactions are any indication--particulary the official "Heaven" board--you're in the majority. But I LOVED the finale. I mean, first of all, they only had an hour to work with..second of all...it would be too much information to cliffhanger it with Sandy saying, "You're the father." Jessica, perhaps, should have really mingled with her character's family, so we could have some resolution there, but it was intensely satisfying to learn she graduated from college and her family's dream would come true. I kind of liked seeing them cut from that shocker to the Camdens at the party and thinking, "Ha..God bless Eric and Annie...they have NO idea what's about to happen." I dont' know..sometimes less is more. I was satisfied immensely from the finale. Like I said before, crying, laughing...complete emotional experience. The show rocked. I don't see the point in judging a series finale because they CAN'T correct anything now. there are no more episodes...so I don't see what the point is in complaining. Just live and let live, I guess. And personally, I'll live a LOT easier now knowing all the Camdens are in a good place. :)

• Members

I've heard the CW basically hated all their drama pilots, LMAO.

Here's media week's coverage which is all but the same. I don't know why people are surprised. After the numbers that show pulls ... the CW would be idiots to not renew it. I'm probably one of the few who did expect this at the last second.

http://www.mediaweek.com/mw/news/recent_di...t_id=1002501927

• Members

This is amazing news! I have to admit, I thought we'd at least get a spinoff after that whole Simon/Sandy situation that pissed off probably the majority of fans...but never in MY WILDEST DREAMS could I imagine we'd get an 11th season.

People, help me...is this unprecedented? That is, is this a record? The longest-running family drama is canceled and airs a much-hyped SERIES finale and gets picked up by another network?!! I LOVE IT, !@#$%^&*]!! :lol:

• Members

LOS ANGELES (thefutoncritic.com) -- After weeks of rumors, The CW made it official today - "7th Heaven" will indeed return for an 11th season.

The news comes within days of the show's 7.2 million viewer-turnout for its "series finale."

Various sources confirmed the deal this afternoon as the soon-to-launch network preps for its inaugural schedule announcement next Thursday. The pact, financial details of which weren't released, is said to be for at least 13 episodes next season.

Making the development a particular surprise: comments about the show's financial viability by exiting WB executives David Janollari and Garth Ancier at the TCA Winter Press Tour in January. "It is a real bittersweet situation," Janollari said at the time. "We love the show. We want the show. We were in very detailed and substantial conversations with the Spelling Group. At the end of those conversations we both looked at each other and said we can't figure out how to make this economically feasible for either side."

Ancier added: "I'll be more specific - the show will lose $16 million this season. This year the show will lose $16 million for The WB, and that's with a license fee reduction from last year. At least to us, that's a big number."

Nevertheless, "Heaven" remains the WB's top overall draw this season with an average of 5.66 million viewers tuning in each week.

Brenda Hampton, Aaron Spelling and E. Duke Vincent are the executive producers of "Heaven," a Spelling Television, Inc. production.

• Members

This confuses me. The WB lost 16 million this season by renewing it, so why do it again? They had more than enough time to come up with a spin off and should've done that. Then they'd have their ratings and it would be worth it money-wise. Hopefully what they end up with is a retooled version of the original.

Archived