NBC talks DAYS future

• Members

During the NBC Executive Session of the Television Critics Association (TCA) annual summer tour, President of NBC Entertainment, Jennifer Salke, voiced her support of the network’s last soap standing — and its new writing team, headed by Ron Carlivati. “We’re feeling really great about the new team in place and we’re evaluating it as it goes,” Salke told the audience. “Right now, we’ve been so focused on the fall and making all these [new] shows. We love the new DAYS and we hope it stays on the schedule forever … Everyone’s feeling really good.”

this is from soap digest. This is very encouraging news as shes thrilled about Ron Carlivati. Very encourgaed.

• Replies 23
  • Created
  • Last Reply
  • Members

Don't we see this same damn interview every year?

I'm waiting for the interview where Corday just says, "I really just don't know anymore." 

Why can't he just be honest and say that James Reilly ruined Days beyond repair? Days has been trying to get back to normal, but at this point, it doesn't know what normal is.

• Members

Tastes and times change, but I think identity is exactly a big problem Days has had for decades now.

What does it want to be? Sort of familial and down to earth, at least where matters of family and the heart are concerned (as it was in the 1960s through 1980s) even in the midst of larger than life sagas, or does it want to fully embrace the campy outlandishness that James Reilly ushered in once the 1990s rolled in?

Corday is clueless, but I also think he wants the show to be everything to everyone and without a set, firm identity, I'm not sure Corday or any writers know what current Days should be.

And, yeah, James Reilly brought in high ratings because of outlandish stuff, but I always likened it to car wreck syndrome: Not wanting to look, but unable to look away. The trouble is, take away the gimmicks, and there was no "there", there, ever, and it hurt the show in the long run. Days started - or so I saw via old episodes - as mostly rooted in reality while surrounded by fantasy. But fantasy has eaten away a lot of that reality now, IMO. Days was not Passions, but Reilly had fallen on fake outs, quirks, and goblins, witches, and whatnot for too long and had forgotten that, at heart, soaps are supposedly about love - familial and romantic - and not just "out there" water cooler plot twists for the sake of plot, not driving story forward.

• Members

The show is and forever will be in danger. I don't care what they say. Once it becomes a problem for them financially it will get the axe. DAYS is 'my show' and I love it but I also know there's no guarantees. They can say they want DAYS to go on forever, doesn't mean it will. It has some fans higher up that keep it afloat and Sony isn't a slouch when keeping shows alive.

• Members

I can't believe a soap that has been at the bottom of the gutter in the ratings for years now is still on the air. I just want to see CM one more time before this soap is canceled for good. I don't see RC raising the ratings at all. I know he has just started but so far the show is still dreadful and the acting isn't helping.

I think people that work at McDonalds make more money than Days does for NBC.  The show has been a financial mess for NBC for years. That's why they have been taping the show 20 years ahead.

Please register in order to view this content

• Members

It's a sign of the times. It's on "borrowed time" every year, hence their yearly renewals. Yes, DAYS has had an identity crisis (a term that reminds me of a Saved by the Bell episode, but I digress) for nearly 20 years, but many of the now-defunct shows had inconsistent identities during their last 10-15 years. They left the airwaves in 2009, 2010, 2011, and 2012.  DAYS is still here.  It must make some sort of profit for NBC or else they would've cut their losses at least half a decade ago. 

Archived