ajsp35801

Y&R: Sally Sussman and Kay Alden OUT, Mal Young IN

275 posts in this topic

26 minutes ago, Chris B said:

It makes sense now, the casting call for Adam, Greg Rikaart's return, Victor turning evil so suddenly, the increased screentime for Chelsea, Philly, dropping Ashley's story love story Ravi was supposed to lead her to. Mal is going to take the show back to what it was when he was writing it between Pratt and Sussman/Alden and that was your typical by-the-numbers plot driven soap.

I remember people speculating when Billy/Phyllis stuff popped back up as didn't people say SSM hated that story?

I just... I don't know anymore :(

i would be more happy (I hate to say) hearing of the shows cancellation at this point.

Yikes.  One thing this does seem to prove is that SSM did not go for KA's ouster obviously. On the contrary, I think.  Both women likely had solidarity and both got ousted.

Don't know what to think in terms of how Y&R is going to look in a few months.

I'm mostly saddened by the Kay Alden part of all this. She deserved better treatment than this I think.

SSM is a grindingly mediocre writer who mostly gets credit for the era of Y&R she worked on rather than her own work. She was lucky to get a job back with the show, and while I realize that she likely was held down by pressures above her with Sony, CBS, Mal Young, whoever, she had a whole soap to show her talent on, a soap all her own, and I can't say I ever saw much of it. 

1 minute ago, DRW50 said:

I'm mostly saddened by the Kay Alden part of all this. She deserved better treatment than this I think.

Bradley Bell should give her a call and ask her to be his co-head writer because B&B is a hot mess.

2 minutes ago, DRW50 said:

SSM is a grindingly mediocre writer who mostly gets credit for the era of Y&R she worked on rather than her own work. She was lucky to get a job back with the show, and while I realize that she likely was held down by pressures above her with Sony, CBS, Mal Young, whoever, she had a whole soap to show her talent on, a soap all her own, and I can't say I ever saw much of it. 

She is a hack writer. When she started off with the non Lauren story being all about Gloria to Victor throwing family parties to putting Jill back with Colin....her being named HW was all about nothing....cause she failed miserably.

12 minutes ago, YRBB said:

LOL. OK.

so, you're saying drunk/drugged/whatever Cane cheating on Lily w/ some hew that they tried to duct tape into BFF's w/ Lily was a decent story? Don't even get me started on aging the twins to HS. And this is only one example, and characters I don't even care about. zjgAtZa.gif

welp. 

Going back to Mal Young, does anybody think it's a good idea for him to be EP and HW? Maria Arena Bell did it and we all know how that went. When Paul Rauch joined I do think there was an improvement from her not being in charge of everything. Brad Bell on B&B has always been a disaster in both roles and at this point should just be EP. My thing is, if as good a writer as Bill Bell was he had an EP, anybody should. It's just too much to produce five episodes a week and also be in charge of story. It's a recipe for disaster.

Just now, Chris B said:

Going back to Mal Young, does anybody think it's a good idea for him to be EP and HW? Maria Arena Bell did it and we all know how that went. When Paul Rauch joined I do think there was an improvement from her not being in charge of everything. Brad Bell on B&B has always been a disaster in both roles and at this point should just be EP. My thing is, if as good a writer as Bill Bell was he had an EP, anybody should. It's just too much to produce five episodes a week and also be in charge of story. It's a recipe for disaster.

Aint that the truth!!

Wow I am so shocked right now. 8 months? I have a feeling, if they did retire on their own accord, it was because of too much interference and got fed up. Which has been Y&R's problem for a while. CBS has opinions, Sony does, etc. The show is basically ran by committee it feels like. That's no way to run a show. 

Mal will likely end up unemployed eventually too. It's just a never ending merry go round on soaps anymore.

I wish I could say I'm surprised.

SSM was in trouble once Phyllis/Billy reunited.  She lost that battle and then continued to lose many others.  And with ratings falling, she had no leverage.