Y&R: Kay Alden OUT???

• Members

Honestly, I don't know how much sway KA has ever held as a story consultant (emphasis on the word "consultant").  Does/did she have a major say in the direction of storylines?  If so, how much and how often do/did TPTB at Sony and CBS follow her advice?

I've said it before, and I'll say it again: Y&R's biggest problem is that there is too much baggage in terms of characters and relationships that TPTB refuse to cut loose; and as long as they continue holding onto the stuff that drags down the whole production, there's little, if any, chance of anyone improving the show for the long-term.

• Replies 27
  • Created
  • Last Reply
  • Members

If Tommy is trying to get Maria Bell back at YR it wont work. She said awful things about Steve Kent when she was fired. I honestly think Sally used Kay as a scapegoat to keep her job. Look at the ratings and demos in last 8 months. She was much lower then Pratt. Its lacked drama. The Dina story imo has been very lackluster. They should be writing Adams return. 

• Members

If this is true, how exactly does a story consultant have enough influence on a show to make a huge difference when they're gone? If she's doing soooo much, why not simply hire her as an actual part of the writing team? Hmmmm.

• Members

Soapsuds so far this Alden and Sussman pairing has yeilded poor ratings. They started Sept 2016 and their contracts are almost up. Sussman has to save her behind. Demos and ratings have crashed. She barely has pulled 4.2 million viewers. Pratts low was 4.6 million upwards of a huge 5.5 million ratings. Honestly though i am suspecting if Alden is going then Sussman might be next.  Sony and CBS arent happy with ratings losses. Sony might opt to install a brand new head writer.

Btw Jean and Shelly lowest was like 4.3 million but towards end they hit 4.6 to 4.8 million. So Jean and Shelly got let go with 300000 to 400000 more viewers then Sally. Again lost ratings equal less revenue. Pratt made CBS great cash money.

• Members

Kay: "Girl, your writing REEKS!"

Sally: "How DARE you say that to me!  We are SOOOOOOOO not best friends anymore!  Oh, and P.S.?  You're off the show.  Bye, bitch!"

(Of course, I could be wrong.)

• Members

Much has been said about KA's contribution to the show. I think it is so very apparent that KA's involvement has increased dramatically in the last few months.

We've seen what kind of show SSM is able to write: uneventful, directionless, lots of character moments, enjoyable. 

Lately things have picked up in a typical Bill Bell fashion: see Abby getting caught in the cross-fire between the Newmans and the Abbotts. That's exactly why the Abby character was conceived 17 years ago. So she could be in the middle of a ferocious custody battle and then grow up to be caught in the middle of Newman and Abbott wars. SSM is not capable of writing any of that. Because she does not have the talent and she was not there when the writers came up with the Abby/sperm storyline.

The Nikki concert and the family drama revolving around it screams KA. (it was reminiscent of the infamous GOLA by Jack Smith)

The way characters are talking until exhaustion about minor happenings? (Nack kissing. Abby pouring a drink onto Victoria) Typical KA.

My point is: KA's influence over the show is tangible. And it has actually grown dramatically lately. Does SSM like it? Was SSM asked to take a step back? Is SSM sabotaging KA? I don't know. But I am hoping KA outlasts SSM.

Archived