When was the last GOOD return?

• Members

This thread is inspired by B&B Sheila. Back in the 90s, if you found out Sheila was coming back, it would have been must see tv. She's the kind of character that sparks interest, excitement and shakes up the canvas. Now? Her return has fallen flat and has done nothing for the show. This seems to be endemic of all soaps though and has been for years. When was the actual last good return on any soap?

For me it was Kristen on Days in 2012. She had been gone long enough and was utilized well when she came back, taken advantage of her past history while giving her an original storyline that wasnt a predictable retread from her last stint. Plus it gave us this

B&B -  maybe Macy in 2002? The show botched it up when they killed her off less than a year later

• Replies 11
  • Created
  • Last Reply
  • Members

In this past decade it's hard to say, maybe Shemar Moore's guest stint on Y&R in 2014 just because it was enough to make things right again between Neil and Malcolm and also erase any memory of a certain other Malcolm...

I had at least enjoyed the returns of Dinah on GL, Steve & Kayla on Days, Nina on Y&R, and Anna and Calliope on Days as well. However all these were somehow nuked by the time their return concluded. 

• Members

The return of James Stenbeck (the FIRST time) was fantastic on ATWT. Also, when Shannon O'Hara reappeared, it was so under-wraps and unexpected, it was the last time a soap ever REALLY surprised me. The follow-up stories for both weren't all that great, but the initial returns for James and Shannon were great surprises.

• Members

Kristen's return hands down for me. I haven't seen it completely, but the setup (was she good? evil?) leading to that excellent NYE reveal with JOhn/Brady fighting over her with the camera angle laugh was great. But the writing was well paced from what I saw and heard.

• Members

The last ones that actually energized their shows and were mostly entertaining?  

AMC-Angie and Jesse

They just fit right back in and added so much to the final largely lackluster couple of years of AMC.

GH-Brenda (first time)

Teased for years, ratings winner, and the introduction of the Alcazar family.  Her second return was a mess.

DAYS-Kristen's first return.

Maybe not enough time fighting with Marlena.  But otherwise the best year on DAYS in a decade.

GH-Laura wakes up from her catatonic state.

I just thought it was a great month of story.  From Robin finding the cure that only she and Luke knew was temporary, just to have her back for her family and to get to say goodbye.  It was heartbreaking when it was over, in the best way.  And it ended with Lulu trying to prove Laura hadn't killed Rick after all.

Archived