Victoria Rowell's Rich and the Ruthless

frequentsoapfan

• Members

Being Mary Jane is the closest thing BET has to a flagship show (but has taken a dive since the Akils left). The other three will be lucky to get renewed beyond their initial seasons. BET is notorious when it comes to canceling its scripted shows even when they're critically acclaimed. They've repeatedly tried scripted content over the past decade but (outside of BMM & The Game) it never works which is why they're keep importing semi-successful shows from other networks.

TV One's programming is mainly sitcoms, music series & reality crime shows with the occasional music biopic. Media was a (long in gestation) tv movie that's unlikely to be picked up to series. Like BET, TV One has also tried scripted content over the years but they have even less patience (and resources) which is why most of their original shows fail.

• Replies 57
  • Created
  • Last Reply
  • Members

The Quad was renewed earlier this year, and its second season will premiere in a few months. Rebel is most likely getting renewed. Tales is still airing and getting buzz, so I am sure it'll be renewed. Oh and I am pretty sure Real Husbands of Hollywood will be back too for its sixth season. I think after the success of the New Edition TV movie that BET realizes that scripted TV featuring us (Black people) is a success to their future. I don't think Debra Lee will be so hasty to cancel shows like she used too. Reality TV shows aren't as enticing as they used to be. 

• Members

The Quad was renewed but BET has a habit of screwing with their successful series (especially if they aren't immediately popular). Neither Rebel nor Tales has received nearly enough critical acclaim to justify BET (who is already terrible at promotion) getting behind them. If they do receive renewals it will pretty much be due to the efforts of the respective showrunners.

Real Husbands is a success but it hasn't been a 'buzzed about' show since the first couple of seasons. At this point it's largely being renewed because of Kevin Hart's ongoing career.

The New Edition miniseries was indeed a success (largely due to the source material & excellent casting) but it wasn't intended as a television project. The only reason the project was aired on television was because of behind the scenes drama. It will be aired in perpetuity like the Temptations & Jacksons miniseries before it but that's the extent of its success.

BET hasn't ever been good with scripted series. They don't respect veteran talent & lack the patience to nurture up and comers. Which is why they've taken to acquiring shows with hopes of building on their established brands.

• Members

I'm going to wait until the show has aired a few more episodes so I only have to pay for one month of that subscription lol. On the subject of production values, I feel all of you, but as others have said if she could've gotten a bigger budget and bigger network she would have. Nobody expected her to be able to pull this off as blacklisted as she was, so I applaud her for getting it off the ground period. If it's successful and gets a second season hopefully the budget is bigger or she can get another project that is bigger. I love that she merged all of her worlds together by having key Y&R co-stars with her as well as people she worked with in primetime and film. She pulled off something that is truly a remarkable accomplishment and for that alone I'm proud of her!

• Members

I do applaud the fact that she is treating the crew very well and has lived up to her promise to use a local crew for the scenes that were filmed in Jamaica.  Many times American film companies barge in and "bogart" with no regard for the local people but she's been very respectful of the people on the island and specifically the locations where filming has taken place. No one has had one bad word to say about her.

So at least she is treating people with respect. She is probably making sure that no one feels treated poorly.

I haven't seen TRR yet so I cannot rightly comment on production values, etc. but I do remember Issa Rae began her web series The Misadventures of Awkward Black Girl on a shoestring budget and has progressed to Insecure.  Yeah, Rowell has been in the business longer so there are higher expectations but this is her first effort and one never knows and cannot predict what will come of it.

At least the crew, et al. were treated well. 

• 2 weeks later...
  • Members

The lady that plays Shelia made an appearance today.

& Mr. Barringer & Calyista did have an affair, they suppose to have a child together, she just confess to him why he lays in the hospital bed.

& Barringer have a son who was in jail for kissing his adoptive sister I guess.

Archived