Y&R July 2017 Discussion

• Replies 698
  • Created
  • Last Reply
  • Members

It's a shame Morrow fights so hard against Sharon and Nick, but at this point I'd prefer Sharon to stay away from him unless they remain just friends. The ship has sailed on them IMHO. I do prefer Nick around Sharon, he's much more likeable and tolerable. Why does he fight so hard against it. Meanwhile, his pairing with Chelsea is DOA. (Cue the arrival of the Nick stan to insist everyone else but Sharon is the better pairing).

And nope, I don't think Jill got any sort of final scene or anything. But I still have a couple of episodes on the DVR ...

• Members

I wonder that too. It surprises me because he seems like someone who just comes to work to get that paycheck (nothing wrong with that).

Chelsea and Nick were just too easy. They needed something to give them depth and it just never came. I mostly blame the writing. Chemistry really isn't that hard to create. It mostly comes down to what I think of as expressive eye contact. Part of the problem for me is that it's hard to imagine anything deep doing on behind Nick's eyes.

• Members

I'd love Nick and Sharon, but if not I'd put Nick with Christine honestly. Paul is boring and they had chemistry in that light chemistry test they did a few years ago. I'd rather see Nick/Christine with a dash of Phyllis to anything currently happening for Nick or Phyllis. I'd bring back a former character for Billy since there's no one on canvas I see him with and Chelsea of course has to go. Maybe Billy could go with Hilary?

• Members

I think you need to be consistent about whether or not the writers are successfully propping Mariah and having Tessa and Mariah gang up on Hilary. 

You cannot not tell me that Hilary is being ganged up on and pictured as a loser and then say the scenes written for Tessa and Mariah to confront Hilary are juvenile. If those confrontation scenes are juvenile, then those two look stupid in ganging up on Hilary....those two make fools of themselves when they do that, and Hilary's NOT really a loser or ganged up on after all.

And here I go again with my weekly Josh Morrow defense. 

No, he's not a future Oscar winner -- but he's definitely not the awful actor some of you paint him to be. Your criticism of the guy is so out-of-bounds it's ridiculous.

You SCREAM about a Nick/Hilary pairing, so why don't I hear the same screaming about Devon/Hilary? Bryton is no better an actor than Morrow, and stylistically they're similar: laid back, real, genuine. Their line readings never tell "I'm acting!" I'll take that any day of the week over some forced and fake reading.

If you don't want Hilary with Devon or Nick, at least I'll give you credit for consistency. If you love Hevon but hate the idea of Nick/Hilary, you lost me.

i know Morrow has said in a couple interviews that he'd rather Nick not be with Sharon right now. That does not mean he's trashing his scenes with Sharon Case. He's always stated that he fears a happy marriage with Sharon would hurt their characters on the show. But what do social media posters do? They take those interviews and create something out of nothing.

I saw those scenes on today's show, and I see Nick as comfortable and easy with Sharon. I see him as liking her and feeling open with her -- without the need to perform. Like Sharon Case, Morrow is ALWAYS prepared. I never get the sense that he's struggling for lines or not properly emoting.

i like JM's realness in scenes with MTS, EB, and AH, too. They come across as family, and he's as believable as any of them. Morrow comes over as the MOST believable on the show when it comes to parenting young children, too.

OK, I'm done. For now. I offer that defense only because this board seems to have concluded that JM is bad. Period. End of discussion. I don't expect to have changed any minds, but I do want you to know that everyone doesn't think as you do. 

• Members

@ranger1rg your logic doesn't really follow. Just because I found the scenes juvenile doesn't mean they weren't written with the purpose of having  viewers root for Tessa and Mariah. If you recall, I also found Hilary's dialogue "disgusting". So, it's not as if she was above it all. She sank low and they gave her deserved comeuppance. Furthermore, them looking juvenile has no bearing on whether Hilary was ganged up on. Having scores of people dissing and confronting hilary in protection or defense of Mariah while she has no one on her side is the definition of ganged up on. Whether they look good or bad in doing so is irrelevant. 

My issues with Nick and Hilary had nothing to do with JMs acting style. It's mostly because I don't see the story there other than a repeat of the one the show just played for Hilary. And also, which I haven't said prior but will now, that I don't think she has a future there. He's an older actor playing a character with lots of miles, history, and children with a long term love already established.  Hilary would be in Sharon's shadow. I'd rather she be paired with a younger fresher character that doesn't have as much established history. I'd prefer Noah to Nick for her. Also part of the reason I prefer Devon to Nick or Neil or Billy. 

Using Bryton James as a benchmark for unfair treatment of Joshua Morrow doesnt really work being that both are equally reviled here. If they are as similar as you profess, then it makes sense that both are unpoluar around these parts. 

• Members

Yes ranger, Morrow is bad. He's not very good. I don't like him very much as an actor. He's likeable otherwise. I don't mind looking at him. But no I don't think he's very good and I'll keep saying it

Please register in order to view this content

he's not going anywhere but when I don't think he gives his all I'm going to say it. He's passable. It's ok us all having different opinions. You like him and that's great but you don't need to launch to his defense anytime someone says anything about him. IMO.

And maybe Morrow and Case just aren't fond of each other LOL. I mean they work well together. I think he doesn't want to get stuck in the same pairing but none of his other pairings have really worked despite what his stan wants to insist. Morrow comes off desperate to make a mark in a new pairing. I mean, how many at this point has he had? I wouldn't hate Nick/Christine again. Maybe. Have Phyllis [!@#$%^&*] bricks.

I wouldn't hate Noah/Hilary. She'd maybe liven him up but Adamson is so low-key and quiet as an actor she needs someone who can challenge her.

I haven't seen Hilary vs Tessa/Mariah yet to comment. I know people like to think Hilary is supposed to look bad in all of this but I just don't believe that to be the case. But I'll see when I watch those scenes. I think we make up our minds on how something is when sometimes it really doesn't play out like that.

• Members

@KMan101 I also have no doubt that if this was against anyone other than a  favorite of yours, you'd readily admit this. 

I think we are the only two who  acknowlege that the writing for Hilary is terrible. Why is it then such a leap to think Hilary is being used to get fans to invest in others? Unless you just think the writers are so totally incompetent not to know when writing is bad. I don't buy it though and I use Cane as an example. Cane has done some dastardly things lately. But the writers have fleshed out out every choice and given him legitimate reasons for it. He's not just doing this with no motivation. His actions make sense. That's great writing. 

Remember when I said on here a while ago that Sharon should have an internship somewhere and getting a story out of it. Hmm....

• Members

I agree the writing is all over the place for Hilary. Like I said I haven't seen the scenes yet but while I love her I can look at it a tad more objectively. I know it's frustrating to see a favorite get knocked by those you aren't fans of but I don't know that they deliberately go out of their way to make Hil look less than in these situations, but who knows, maybe they do? LOL I just don't think there's some big agenda behind it and again, I could be wrong. I think they know Hil and Michaels can wipe the floor with them so maybe a part of it is having her be put in her place, but the fact is they're going about it the wrong way. IDK.

And while I like Grimes and Mariah doesn't bother me, I wouldn't care if Hil wiped the floor with her and made her slink away in shame. I can like both girls for different reasons which is why I never liked their 'rivalry'. These two should actually be friends. Well, pre-Cassiah Mariah. To be fair, you don't like her so you're going to think she's more propped than she is and that she gets the better of Hilary when I don't always see it the same way.

• Members

Not really. I can be very objective and admit when a fave of mine is propped. It's not slight to the actor or character to do so IMO. You might be right about them knowing that Mishael can deliver. Maybe that's why it's so heavy. I dunno. 

I don't think the rivalry is written for Mariah to get the better of Hilary. She rarely does IMO. Even when Hilary loses, it rarely comes across that way (that's more a testament to Mishael though).  But, I do think that it's written so fans can root for Mariah to win cause they are to see her as more deserving of everything that Hilary is not. As I stated earlier on the thread, I totally get why they were so heavy with it if this story with Tessa was always the plan. They wanted fans to love Mariah and want her happiness and to find that special connection with someone who loves her and puts her first....even if it's another female  Construct wise, it's been brilliant story telling for these old homophobes to struggle with...and they ARE struggling. I see that. 

• Members

The start of today's show was pretty damn good.  I'm not here for a Hilary/Nick pairing, but in their scenes today there was definite chemistry.  More that JM has EVER had with MCE.  MiM was looking fierce

and they had Hils giving it right back to Nick AND Devon showing up and (kinda) defending her!  I thought, OK this is gonna work out pretty well.  Then by the end of the show, they were all at the Underground trashing "mean ol bad Hilary" and having a good ol time together.  And the bullshit with Sharon at Crimson Lights..UGH.  Why?  It was more obvious than ever today that Hilary needs a true friend.  Everyone else in those confrontation scenes at GC Buzz at the top of the show had someone to chill with at the end of the show...except Hils.  No bueno.

I want Cane at Jabot. 

I don't mind JM.  I don't think he's terrible, but I don't think he's irreplaceable either.  He's just...there.  And I'm sorry, but Bryton is the better actor hands down IMO.

Archived