Characters That Never Got A Proper Send-off

• Replies 79
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• Members

Not sure we can judge when someone is in that condition.  Maybe he was no longer well enough to work?  Maybe he wanted to spend the rest of his days with his family?  We don't know.  Didn't he die shortly thereafter?

• Members

My comment about Michael Zaslow on OLTL was more about the lack of explanation in the storyline when his character stopped appearing. I heard mention at the time of his death that his widow preferred they not kill off David, don't know if that was true. I was watching regularly at the time and don't recall them ever saying then that he had passed or really where David was, whether he was still living with Cassie or somewhere else. If there was an eventual reference to him, I think it must have come pretty far down the road....which is similar in a way to what I was saying about Langley on AMC. Although they gave explanations for Langley's absence (forever being on various digs, explorations, etc.), I kind of felt like Louis got cheated out of a tribute. Admittedly, I didn't watch the show regularly in later years but the first time I recall hearing that Langley had died was when Phoebe (and Ruth Warrick) died. 

But back to Zaslow...I don't know that it was a stunt. He had portrayed a popular character on the show, esp. when he was paired with Brynn Thayer, and I think they were a second or third family to him. 20/20 did a story on him, accompanying him to the studio when he returned. He seemed happy and grateful to be back. Some old cast & crew were still there, his GL castmate Kassie DePaiva was there. I think it meant a lot to him to be there.

Edited by applcin

• Members

Cassie was in that stupid castle with Jack. She made it back to Salem (Alexis Thorpe filmed, like, one or two episodes). When Rex left town, there was mention that he was going to live with Cassie.

Did Susan Martin really just vanish? I know the recast wasn't well liked, but it sounded like she pretty decisively left Salem to be with Eric Peters and their daughter, Annie. Was that just something they said after the fact? 

At least Holly on GL got that ending with Ed. It was rushed and odd, but it was nice to have a final note for the characters. I was also glad that AMC brought Brooke back -- having her around for the final months was lovely.

• Members

I'm torn with ones like this because it's nice to think they are just living out old age off screen in PC. Do we need funerals on screen for every older character? In a perfect world, before the actors pass away, they could have a little "Lee is retiring from the law!" party or something so they don't just disappear. But I think I'd prefer no proper exit to someone like Lee Baldwin dying and no one in town giving a [!@#$%^&*].

• Members

Lee and Gail haven't been on screen since 2004 ?  In all these years, they never got a farewell. Hansen had been on for  close to 40 years (on and off). Their disappearance from the show should have been acknowledged. Gail's maternal relationship with Monica.... she at least got a throw away line from Lesley Webber about a card game with Audrey and Monica a few years back.

• Members

Sally Spectra (B&B)

I know other characters mentioned in this thread were perhaps treated worse, but Sally was such a huge, important part of the B&B canvas for such a long time that I think she deserved much better than she got. Her absence has left a hole in the show that is impossible to fill.

• Members

I'd rather discuss characters who were never sent off but should be.

Maurice Benard (Sonny)

Greg Rikkart (over stayed 10 years ago, but better later than never)

Ari Zucker (Nicole)

Karla Mosley (Maya)

Kristoff St John (Neil stays, KSJ leaves.  He's not patriarch material)

Melissa Ordway (Abby is just not needed right now)

I come up with more later...the list above is my "musts"!

• Members

James Stenbeck fro As The World Turns. This guy was THE uber-villain from the show and had returned from the dead more than anyone in daytime (except for Stefano from DAYS). So when he is finally killed for real, who does it? Not Barbara, the woman he tortured for years, not Paul the son he screwed up forever, not John Dixon , his arch-enemy in the early days. No, it was HENRY COLEMAN'S MOTHER, somebody nobody today even remembers. What a waste.

• Members

Hello. I want to know if Travis from Y&R counts as a character that didn't get a proper send off. He pretty much went from sending flowers to Victoria one day and when she told him "Leave me alone" he walked away. The next day, Sally took over and Victoria was talking about wanting to be an independent woman or some crap to Victor and Nikki. I think it was mentioned that he left town but his send off to me wasn't proper he just walked away.

Also Nick and Jackie Marone on B&B. It bothered me when Hope became front and center that they didn't acknowledge Nick at all. 

Does it count when the actor left or got fired and they mention it later? Because I know a few from B&B that should be mentioned.