Y&R: June 2017 Discussion Thread

• Replies 1.1k
  • Created
  • Last Reply
  • Members

1. Get over yourself.  I'm a vet of this board and you and the people in this thread know damn well who I am and how I post.  Get over it Ron.  Go troll some 15 year old boys and get off my posts. 

2.  The writing, production values, and directing are very Y&R.  They've put Billy & Phyllis together and are actually creating a viable triangle with Victoria.   Hilary has been given a heart and somewhat of a conscience while still maintaining her edge.  She's a damn fine character who is FINALLY being rounded out.  Her rivalries with both Lily and Mariah are entertaining.  Speaking of Mariah, she is also being defined and turning into a viable young heroine.  I like that.  Sharon isn't being written to be the town pariah or a total basket case mess.  Instead she's being written as a flawed human that makes mistakes and often uses poor judgment.  That is who Sharon IS!!!  The Abbotts are being brought back to the forefront, after many attempts to phase them out.  That dinner with Dina wasn't perfect but it was tense.  That last scene as she was leaving- that was the most natural tension in a scene on this show in YEARS, when every episode used to be tense.   I know I'm in the minority but I actually LIKE Reid and his angst.  He is being written as an intelligent, believable teen.  I wish they'd have him share more scenes with Noah, as I saw some great cousin bonding stuff there that you rarely see on soaps.  I'd like to see that explored.   Jason Thompson's Billy is the Billy they've been looking for for over a decade.  Patrick who?  Neil is acting like Neil again and sharing scenes with characters that aren't Winters.  Genius to put him in scenes with Marla Adams!  Gloria was rested long enough that she now feels like a breath of fresh air.   Even Christine, who I never could stand, is being used properly and in line with her history.  SO much is working right now that even the detailed complaints I see on here seem so nitpicky compared to what we've been getting for the past 10 years.  Is it perfect?  No.  But it is vastly improved and the best shape the show has been in since Jack Smith (or even the first 6 months of MAB).  I actually have hope that Y&R can be restored to its former glory.

• Members

I have been liking YR lately

LOVE Dina's return

LOVE Philly

LOVE bad Cane and the B&S story

LOVE Chick, seems they do have story sans paternity story

Speaking of no story...... uh Sharon! 

Please register in order to view this content

• Members

RLJ has a bias against Sharon like some others on here do. That's fine, to each their own. Not coming at anyone.

But she doesn't need a story really. She's been due for some time on the backburner and her character has needed this reset. She still gets OK airtime.

Chick really don't. They're both lying to each other about certain things. It'll eventually be kaboom for them. They're already having Nick sniff around Sharon. Not sure what you enjoy about them but to each their own.

I agree with most of your points on #2 ... and people are entitled to be a bit nitpicky, that's what hardcore fans on a message board do. They nitpick to death. I don't always agree with it but we're all entitled to talk about what we want to.

But I agree with most everything you said in #2. I didn't mind Gloria coming back at first but she took over Lauren's story and she's on a bit too much for me, when I'd rather see characters like Traci and Jill get even half the airtime she does. Chapman's fine in small doses.

I go back and forth on Reed. He's slightly believable as a teenager with angst but, and yes I'm being nitpicky, he needs a haircut. LOL. But I don't mind him. I also don't mind Mattie, or Ravi, or Tessa, but most on here, besides a few, seem to dislike them.

Neil and Sharon have benefited from Sally and gotten resets, of sorts. Much needed. Both needed breaks IMHO and they work very well as supporting right now. But I'd like Neil to get a story of his own eventually and not play second fiddle to Devon in the business story. I'm not sure I need to see Neil have a love interest right now but giving him a bit more focus and POV would be nice and I think they made a mistake not aging Moses instead of Charlie but I know they had to age Charlie if they aged Mattie. But they didn't need to SORAS Lane's kids.

I like bad Cane. It works much better. DG needs to embrace it and not fight against it. His character is finally interesting.

Hillary is one of the best things on the show. Since LA she's felt so refreshed and refocused. I hated her sniping and feuding with Mariah so thankfully they've moved it back to Lily where it makes more sense.

I've liked Dina's return because Marla Adams is wonderful. Davidson and Bergman are doing well with it. Traci needs to be on the canvas more permanently.

I like Phyllis and Billy. They're much better together. I don't really like Phyllis and Victoria pining for Billy though. I think it's beneath both of them. I just don't think Amelia Heinle is a lead. She's terrible as Victoria. There's no fire. Victoria and Phyllis should be more than equals if Heather Tom were in the role but Victoria whines and pouts and cries and blah ... I just can't like her in the role.

I don't like how Scott is being written or used or how the actor is portraying him. He's another who needs a haircut. I know they're probably trying to go for an eventual romance with Abby and Scott but I don't really like how he acts towards her. Abby has benefited slightly from Sally but it's still kind of hard to care about her. They need to have Adam and Abby align with each other. I like that Abby at least has ambition. Much more than a lot of younger characters on soaps do.

I was watching at the time and absolutely appalled at all of this. Adam as a mustache twirling villain was the worst. It became very hard to take the character seriously, and Muhney's skeeviness didn't help. I know everyone went gaga over Hartley, who's great, but I still didn't care for Adam. It reminded me of EJ on Days where they never could decide what direction they wanted him to take.

• Members

She could hold her own for sure but I don't know that I can picture her on Y&R.

As if they'd ever replace Heinle at this point ... and I actually don't dislike Heinle but she's been miscast as Victoria from the start. Some of it she gets a little right and I think Sally somewhat writes how Victoria should be but Heinle almost plays against it.

• Members

I watched 5-30 and I enjoyed the show.

Dina is EVERYTHING. If they kill her off and do not realize she is desperately needed, I will be so mad at them and probably lose faith in the regime once and for all.

I like Juliet. I think that for once they've cast an actress with a classic Y&R look. Her voice reminds me of Heather #1.

Chloe dying --> I hate it.

Victor/Nikki-Nick/Chelsea --> FF. Has Nikki gotten thinner or what?

For the first time ever I'm watching scenes with CK!

Scotty -> big dud. Please write him off.

Kevin -> enough said.

It's promising. We'll see if they can keep it coming.

• Members

I'm only through Wednesday but the show continues to impress me. I agree with everyone that if Dina is killed off they are fools. She reminds me of Jeanne Cooper in terms of how watchable she is at an older age. She's not a typical boring soap matriarch, she's complicated, which Y&R does well. I feel like she's vital to the future of the show. I wouldn't say the show is perfect, but overall it's very good and each episode entertains me. Even the Dina story which has tons of holes is being executed well enough that I'm enjoying it. Brash and Sassy is still simmering, the new characters are good, Victor and Nikki are so watchable right now, Hilary is working really well and I even enjoy the new teen set. The biggest dark spot for me is any mention of Adam. He needs to be forgotten and Chelsea has to go. I'm not sure why they're holding onto her. She is dragging Nick down in their scenes so bad.

• Members

I basically agree with everything you said.  Chelsea is definitely take or leave but in a sense I do feel they should cut her out but save her for later.  MCE has talent but it's wasted here.  Getting rid of her will help the show recover.

Archived