Y&R: June 2017 Discussion Thread

• Replies 1.1k
  • Created
  • Last Reply
  • Members

I love how you described it and I felt dirty at the same time. But JM has always had Nick come across (more back in the old days) as primal at times but yes, touchable indeed.

@allmc2008, actually since L.A., I think the writers have been doing that.

Count me in as a fan of Abbotts. I was not around for Dina, but have seen/heard references to her for years so it's nice that she does not at all disappoint. And I guess it's just the family vibe that the Abbotts give up. Very relatable to me when I was little.

@DramatistDreamer, be still my writer heart and how you think. And you do plays? Jealous.

???

I was just liking that they are leaning a little toward him and Abby.

• Members

Agree about keeping Dina around being worth it. I also think it was EOL. But so far I'm not seeing holes in the story or seeing a drastic turn that doesn't make sense to say her story is rewritten. I'm still waiting on the big moment, whatever it is, to happen.  

Using Scotty at Fenmore's requires them to use Lauren. But then maybe not since that merger with Jabot. He can easily be interacting with jack, Phyllis, Ashley.....and Dina. I don't get the point of him and Sharon. 

I think he was brought back cause the show needed men, in general. But he's being used all wrong. I think he's attractive BUT not the thing of my fantasies by any means. 

• Members

Great. This is really great commentary. 

Scott's story is a prime example of one of the main problems I have with the show at the moment. Instead of telling story that makes sense using characters that make sense, the show warps story to push characters, pairings, rivalries, et al that they've decided they want to focus on. It makes zero sense for Scotty to be involved with Newman when Fenmores is/ was struggling. It makes no sense that his entire family is offscreen while he builds relationships with Newmans instead of them.  

It's also absurd to me that Hilary is leading story about Juliet. I've said it before, but from what's onscreen you'd think she's the one who slept with Cane and filed a lawsuit instead of Juliet. 

Please register in order to view this content

It's just bad story telling. I struggle with it. Dina's story is one of the few playing proper beats with characters that should be featured, if you discount Tracy and Jill not being utilized as they should. Is there any wonder it's the best one being told? 

I think this is a reach. 

• Members

I know it won't happen, but can you imagine if Y&R can build on the past 4 weeks by adding the following catalysts during the next few months: Dru, Adam and Shelia? The lack of a morally gray character is evident as Chloe and Hilary have filled that void during the past few weeks - they immediately grab your attention because they are pushing story forward. The same could be said about Dina, but in a far deeper emotional way ties back to the Abbott family introduction 30+ years ago. If only they could return Michael and Phyllis to their devious/clever selves.

I exclude TGVM because he that vulnerable part that makes you like him was gone decades ago - he's all about manipulation, control and whisking Nikki on 'exotic trips with no business' when she strays too far. But it's better that he's at the office than sitting around listening to classic music and playing chess with Faith, who knock wood is MIA until SORAS'd. 

• Members

That first paragraph is everything. And you are right. Chloe and Hil are really driving story which is drawing you in...for better or for worse. Same for Dina. And I think we need more of that. And watching old Y&R shows in the Old Articles Thread is making me see how watered down Michael and Phyllis are. I guess I do kinda miss that.

• Members

So, yea - they really need to ship MCE off somewhere and keep EH.  She's so much more interesting than MCE's Chelsea.  Send Chels and Nick off somewhere to "start a new life" until such time as Adam is back (hopefully not for a couple years) and bring them back for the Christian WTD reveal.  I know none of this will never happen but still...

Archived