Y&R: June 2017 Discussion Thread

• Members

It's been a pretty solid week for Y&R.  And FINALLY we are seeing more than more story being told :-)

@DeeeDee When Bryton and Mishael have a scene together, all the air goes out of the room.  Although I love them as a couple, I don't want them back together anytime soon.

• Replies 1.1k
  • Created
  • Last Reply
  • Members

They have the IT factor (but I don't want them together for a long while either).

Throwing Jordan in their orbit did DK a horrible disservice because he & Mishael have anti-chemistry. Which is not to say DK (who is very handsome & has a sweetly unforced charm when he's allowed to be himself) is a bad actor but forcing him into the Malcolm role & making him one of the spoilers for an established couple with MAJOR chemistry has done him no favors.

• Members

@deedee @GMac Bryton and Mishael have "It". Period. I see why the show feels the need to keep them out of scenes if they want to sell this other stuff too but....the show needs them to share scenes. They've got nothing else under 30. Nothing. What they need is a story that allows Devon and Hilary to share airtime yet not be together or it be about them being together. 

Story idea: Dina decides to she wants Hilary on the board of Mergeron in an attempt to curry favor with Jack. Hilary being "Jack's friend" and all. Or even better she decides that she wants to give her a make up line for Mergeron Cosmetics a la Taraji with Mac. This allows Hevon to share airtime yet it not be about them getting back together. Cause these scenes here or there once a month doesnt do a thing for demos/ratings. Nor does it help infuse passion, which is currently lacking, into the show. 

DK is definitely better when he's allowed to play Jordan authentically. But his line delivery is poor and he's still very flat. No bueno. 

I love Dina Mergeron. Everything about her fom her clothes to demeanor and dialogue. She's given the Abbots a real shot in the arm. They needed it. I don't want her to be dying or have an incurable ailment like alzeimers. 

I feel cheated on this Chloe suicide. Although I don't think she's dead, I feel the show shortchanged EH in her exit and deprived her of an Emmy worthy story and us of what could have been very compelling story. 

KSJ is looking devine since his haircut. I'm going to need Neil to get a love interest. I know I was the main one who said he needed resting. But Neil looked so sexy in his business meeting that I feel he needs a woman on his arm. Lol. Preferably an actress over 45 and a recast Yolanda to enhance the family story with Devon/Hilary. 

Are the Newmans a huge bore or is it just me? I don't care about anything happening with them although it's connected to Chloe and despite me caring how others feel about her death. 

• Members

This. I appreciate all the intelligent critiques. No one could live up to the pedestal SS was put on before she began. 

Calling for her firing two months in after nearly a decade of character destruction and blah storytelling was OTT. The three week arcs needed to go, and the stories weren't building fires and explosions. Characters like Sharon and Victor started to resemble themselves again. The Abbotts are coming together, and the addition of Dina back into the mix. Yes, we need less Gloria.

Stories like Brash and Sassy that hadn't interested me are finally starting to draw me in. Anything with Hilary is great (though Jordan has been a weak point). MM has been the best thing to happen to Y&R in a long time. Hopefully they keep her in Lily's face. The rivalry with Mariah has always been a clunker, and Mariah and Devon aren't setting the world on fire.

The last several weeks have started an upswing in the stories. Let's hope it continues.

I meant no disrespect to the posters that take the time to post their critiques--those who actually have reasons to criticize, not to just repeat how bad Sally is and everything is awful.

• Members

I have been one of those biggest critics for a number of reason, but I also have acknowledged that the show has finally gotten on a solid track starting with the LA remotes/Dina's return. The show is far more cohesive and stuff is happening - not just in short bursts. 

Dina is an awesome character and steeped with Y&R history. MA is a force - like I said in May thread - she could fill the major void left by JC. The character had everything that represents Y&R: family drama, business, scandal, intelligence and a sharp wit. 

• Members

Another decent episode with another hook in the Dina story. There IS more to Graham and there IS something going on. I'm liking this story.

As said by others, when Devon and Hilary are on screen, there's this undeniable angst, chemistry and beauty.

And Victor nailed it with his parting words to Victoria. "None of you gave a damn about Adam! He wreaked havoc on this family"

• Members

And not just that but Y&R is content to tailor the writing to the actors instead of the characters where the Newman Family is concerned.

For instance I wouldn't mind spending an hour watching Sharon discuss stuff she's excited about having learned in school with Nikki at Crimson Lights or Nick and Abby commiserating about feeling they're always in Victoria's shadow when it comes to business but Y&R is content to largely gloss over anything resembling character based writing (which used to be its bread & butter) for unnecessary romantic pairings and/or sweeps based ratings stunts.

The success of the Dina story is largely due to the actors involved giving it their all. Had that same story been given to any other Y&R core family it would've fallen really flat.

• Members

Oh, it'll happen. It's too relevant a plot to be ignored.  Writers will just give it to Mariah or Tessa though. As if anyone  would buy makeup with their names on it. Really it should be Lily and Hilary both with a line at a different company going head to head for sales. Hilary at Mergeron for the Hevon interaction and Lily at Brash and sassy. I would write it in but I know I'll be pissed when it's gven to some other character. 

• Members

@UK LAW Finally someone called out hypocrites Nick/Victoria - they hated Adam and did everything in their power, especially at beginning to keep him out of Newman - even though he was by far the most qualified to run a business. Only Abby had a civil relationship with him - I always wished they had Abby/Adam team up against the other two - they are 50% Newman, just like their entitled siblings. The funny thing is that Victor has children from women he loved deeply and respected - no thirsty gold diggers out there, which eliminates the reason why Nikki's children are 'special.'

Archived