Y&R: May 2017 Discussion Thread

• Members

I haven't watched yesterday's or today's and even missed the claw fight but I guess they decided not to go with Sharon and Scott? Instead go with Scott and Abby?? I liked Sharon and Scott slow friendship/flirtation a la you want a free meal ...LOL

• Replies 715
  • Created
  • Last Reply
  • Members

Like the idea of Scott involved with someone Lauren doesnt like.

Instead of the ridiculous hostage story, Scott comes back to town to take a break from his relationship with this woman. Lets call her Rachel. So we get to know Scott,who helps Lauren with her business issues and the two become very close. Then Rachel comes to town to check the status of her relationship with Scott.He wants to get back together and she agrees on Scotts proviso they stay in GC. Lauren takes a dislike to Rachel. Some of the old vindictive Lauren returns. Michael however likes Rachel,which sets up some conflict.

Lauren does some digging and finds out that Rachel was a suspect in the disappearance of a wealthy man. She drops that bomb but Rachel turns it around and makes Lauren look bad. Lauren has to pretend to like Rachel but continues to plot against her.

Love the idea of Jack and Jill becoming frenemies.

What do posters think of this?

Traci decides to write a Jabot business history and in her digging through old files comes across an unopened letter to John from a woman telling him shes pregnant with his child.This is from the time that John left GC when he found out Jill and Jack were involved.

Traci tells Ashley and they do some investigating.The woman Andea had a son and raised him alone, believing John wanted nothing to do with her.Traci learns this from the Andrea's sister as Andrea has passed away. She named her son Jonathan. Andrea's sister never knew John Abbott's identity.

Jonathan has a daughter.

Traci and Ashley know that John would have acknowledged his son had he known. Jack feels they owe this man nothing.

But Jonathan is told, comes to GC with his daughter  and the story goes from there. A rivalry with Jack,Traci growing fond of the daughter as she reminds her of Colleen and Jonathan is attracted to Ashley,not knowing that they are not actually step siblings.

• Members

LOL! I was a big fan of JH's Adam and MCE's Chelsea and told so many that Adam and Chelsea's story should have neatly wrapped up last summer or at least dictated Chelsea's exit. However so many, including several posters on this board who are now clamoring for Chelsea to get lost or are asking why is she still on disagreed with me last summer by saying Chelsea still had purpose. Forgive me if I feel smug now especially after hearing some spoiler news lately. 

Look overall 2017 Y&R isn't great but at least however my head hasn't exploded like it did in 2015 and 2016 so far at least. But I am at the point of giving up of complaining about Y&R because I just want to attempt to enjoy while I still can. I just have an a very ominous vibe that our last beloved show won't be on too much longer.  

• Members

same thing DAYS did years ago. no rehearsal time may...MAY....equal slapdash performances. budget must have been slashed to the bone. which I don't understand why seeing as Y&R is still at No. 1. makes some sense to me some of the material that has been making it to air. 

• Members

well, I don't know what's going on BTS...but I am just not convinced this is solely the work of SSM and MY. cutting rehearsal time, bad stories, plots that start and either stop or change direction....MY either needs to do an interview explaining a few things or changes are going to be made. I will not believe that, even at the end of JFP's and CP's God-awful, horrible run, that when MY took over the show did get better.....only to go down like this now with the right people in place. 

• Members

Cutting rehearsal time sounds like company decision, although TBH. Soaps have steadily cut rehearsal, blocking, etc over the years. 

I've read about how much time soaps used to devote to rehearsal and blocking in the early 80s and it seems like the time has already been drastically snipped since then.  Also the job of the director has been reduced a great deal.

Can only imagine what awaits viewers when yet more rehearsal time and direction is cut.

This moves smacks of a bean-counting, cost-cutting measure.

JMO, but this truly makes me begin to believe that may there is a lot more interference in how the show is being run.

The higher ups are definitely keeping SS on a shorter leash, perhaps even MY as well. The execs probably trust neither, at this point.

• Members

It's what alot of shows have done when budgets are cut.  It doesn't suprise me - I mentioned in another thread I would be interested to see what starts to happen given the ratings they're pulling in.  Their 18-49 and 18-34 W are horrible numbers...advertisers still pay the best rates for W18-49.  About 8-10 years ago - if a show hit 1.0 in the Women 18-49 demo - the networks got very antsy over it...they didn't like that number.  There comes a point where there's no more reasoning or explaining it away.  The dollars aren't coming in the way they were and the budget will be cut, doesn't matter if you're #1.  #1 with lousy 18-49 numbers is still lousy.  Next we'll hear who is being moved off contract, and the people will either take pay cuts to stay or they'll be let go.  I have a strong suspicion...EB won't be here for much longer....I wondered if he was planning on leaving sometime soon to begin with - given he did his book - I wondered if it was a swan song type of thing.  I don't know if anyone read it (I didn't)...but I wondered if there was anything in there about the state of the show, how he felt about his career at this point...etc.   

• Members

A blind item said that one soap had downgraded a long time vet to recurring. I think it's Doug Davidson and Y&R for some reason. 

I've noticed that Y&R is starting to focus on it's younger cast more. I think they are finally trying to transition. Monetarily dictated, of course. 

Archived