Y&R: May 2017 Discussion Thread

• Members

If Adam can keep being re-cast with the horrific stories and writing he has had, Mac, Phillip & Chance sure can. At least none of them gaslighted a main character into having a miscarriage and threw the fetus into the fireplace. Y&R has had 3 failed attempts at casting Billy and he's still a main character.

So what if Phillip's coming out story was horrible, so were most of MAB's stories. The point is he is out, and a legacy character. If Y&R is worried about offending a conservative audience the hard part is already done. He's already been developed and accepted as a character and part of a family. A woman and a gay man running CI would be more diversity.

Just like Devon, all a re-cast Mac, Phillip, or Chance would need is direction and a good writer.  Mac would be the hardest right now because Y&R would have to cast a full family. She would have to return divorced. And why not have one of Jill's children return while Jess is still around? Kay is dead.

• Replies 715
  • Created
  • Last Reply
  • Members

The story is right there waiting to be told. Devon has the money, and makes a few mistakes.  This is all new to him.  Jill and Neil take advantage of the situation and take Chancellor from him.  At first he is relieved.  They set him up in a boutique company and let him help diversify CI by doing what he loves, which is music.  He still has lots of money, and attracts romantic trouble because of it.  Much like Jill and Phillip and John Abbot.  Does Devon's new circle care about him, or his money.  As he becomes successful, he starts to resent Neil and Jill.

Hillary works with either Newman or Jabot.  And when they eventually work their way back to each other, she fuels his anger at Jill and Neil.  Then they begin to orchestrate a take over.

That's pretty much 3 years of a basic outline that uses all these characters, while allowing room for them to be in their own other stories.  Come on Sally, you are a professional so surely you can come up with something better!  Use the tools you have!!!!

• Members

That the Devon Chancellor story is as bad as the "Jill Fenmore" and the "Phillip faked his death because he is gay and didn't want to upset the two drag queens who raised him" ones and that none of these belong to Y&R

Oh and as far as Chelsea is concerned, there is nothing right about her character or her story. She could go tomorrow and nobody would ever think of her again despite the fact that she has kids with an Abbott an a Newman. And yes I have a problem watching the same kind of crazy stories that killed all the other soaps, on Y&R because I know how that story ends. What is next? Phillip II faked his death because he was trans and he returns played by Diahann Carroll, nobody can say this is just stupid?

• Members

I'm not saying I think Mac is not capable of being on the canvas with a good recast.  I'm just saying this is why TPTB haven't done it.  She's not a Newman.  She's had three actresses play the part and only one was a fan favorite.  That whole awesome set of characters (Billy, Mac, Brittany, Raul) suffered because none of them were tied to the Newman's, except JT and Billy by being paired with Victoria.  

It's like Sonny on GH.  Once TPTB decided he was the central character on the show, if it didn't flow through or around him the other stories were never A stories.  They were usually C or D level.

• Members

Jill and Brad weren't overnight successes and no one gave them billions.

Jill got 30%(?) of Jabot stock in a divorce, but she developed a successful men's line, and contributed to growing that company just as much as Jack and Ashley.

I do have a problem with Chelsea being an overnight success. We weren't along for the ride, we never became invested in her, so it's boring. I would've welcomed a con who made a mess of GC with her scheming, then turned her life around by taking, at least, 10 years or so to make her company successful. All she is is Adam's wife.

But Katherine didn't leave Chancellor Industries to Devon either. JFP's writer's wanted CI to disappear into Newman Enterprises. They didn't want Jill or Devon running it.

The story would have to start with what the situation is today. And that is Devon has the lion's share of Kay's cash and Jill's the owner and CEO of CI because she bought it. From what I have watched, Devon & Neil are getting a good story. I wouldn't want to change anything for him right now. He's getting lot's of screen time too.

• Members

Great long story outline.

I actually see shades of that in what we are getting right now. I don't think for a second that Devon and Neil will continue to be amicable over this company. It'll start good then devolve into them grappling for power. Pretty soon Neil will find a reason to push Devon out to fully take over. It'll probably have to do with him saving the company from Hilary's EEEE-VUL clucthes once she and Devon reunite. 

If they do remain amicable, then I'll know for a fact that no one involved with the show are competent. 

• Members

Of course, why bother supporting your ideas, or thoughts, with REASONS.

It would be much easier to baselessly insinuate someone is racist, (homophobic, or misogynistic) under the cover of  shade emoji's because they don't agree with me. That way everything I think is automatically right because I have deemed them an awful person.

• Members

I can answer for myself.

As I said before, I'm actually happy Neil & Devon are starting their own company. I think I may have offered it as an idea before it showed up on-screen. I'm also happy the way Jill ended up and that she bought CI herself. I could care less about a business set, I love the mansion set. My beef is that they aren't writing for Jill, and when they do, they're not even giving the illusion she is running CI like they did with Katherine.

• Members

Are you really blaming Neil getting partial ownership of a start up after 26 years on the show for Jill having limited story when we all know Jill's story has been limited for years now. These two things are NOT related. 

Archived