Y&R: May 2017 Discussion Thread

• Members

Having Hilary deal with Devon's luck of ambition and a ratchet Hamilton cousin moving in, would be a lot more interesting than another divorce for the character and an uninspired triangle with Mariah. Meanwhile she could be working with Billy Abbott and be tempted by him while being hated by Jill and warned by Jack. 

• Replies 715
  • Created
  • Last Reply
  • Members

Because he was great on the show. And as has been said, every male AA character has been patterned after him. But like MS, SM, TL and GK, he was envisioned for short-term role but he had that magic. It's really not fair to the other actors. 

• Members

My comment was definitely not a put down of BJ. I just question why is Shemar now seen as the de-facto template for all the Black male characters that now come onto the canvas.  

I actually think that BJ has put in the work into trying to position himself as a character who could be seen as a love interest for different female characters- he didn't just hang back and wait and hope that TPTB wil seem him as desirable (I'm talking to you, RA), he kept in shape, kept sharp and kept focused.

I personally, have never made claims about Devon's lack of sexual chemistry. A good writer can bring out the traits to make any character attractive or unattractive as the writing sees fit. 

Just like good writing could make Traci Abbott and Nina Webster sexy, good writing and a great partnership can make 90 percent of these characters attractive.

And yeah, give me a pen and some cash, I'd be the first one to write that steam! I wouldn't use most of these godawful pairings that Y&R currently is foisting on us though.

Is this because there have been relative so few AA male characters on this show?

I find using one Black male as a defacto template very problematic, it doesn't allow for different types. Y&R may very well be missing great talent out there because they are only looking for one "type".

Also, like I said, Shemar was sexy and very appealing but was far from the most talented AA male actor the show has ever had. 

It would be like casting every White male character to fit the profile of 90s/early 00s JM. It's kind of ridiculous, which is why Y&R would never do that with White characters.

• Members

I agree that Bryton has finally come from out of the shadow of expectations that Devon be like Malcolm...or Neil for that matter. Much of that is thanks to Mishael Morgan, who requested to be paired with him. She said in an interview that the writers had not even thought of that idea before she brought it up. I always thought that was a no brainer. Anyways, you're correct in that he was definitely prepared when given the opportunity. Those two have been allowed to develop their own identities.

Soaps are formulaic. When you add in that they've struggled to establish new  black characters since the 90's, of course they'll try to reinvent the wheel. Hence, we've got Jordan, a photographer, wearing beads from 1996. 

• Members

I think she's going to have as much trouble as ED finding a romantic pairing that works. I won't even say that the fault is either of theirs exactly, although I know some disagree. I think CG's has above average looks, but they aren't soap looks. She had a guest spot as a prostitute recently (can't remember the show) and I thought she looked great, but she doesn't have that soap heroine quality.  Unfortunely, we live in a time when characters are all about their pairings, so I'm not sure what her future holds.

Also, I completely agree with those who say the actresses should not have been reduced to that ridiculous cat fight. Just no.

• Members

@DramatistDreamer Weren't Nathan, Neil and Shemar on at the same time? If so, proves it can be done - and all 3 had very distinct personalities until they turned Nathan into a psycho - horrible! Speaking of which, I fear they are making Devon way too much like Neil now. I wish they would make Devon more edgy or villain-like. He has that capability from what I saw on an arc on TVD, I think. I think it would open up so many acting choices for Bryton. He's never been one of my favorites, but that's been more of the lackluster writing over the years. I'd certainly prefer he gets a shot over some newbie - he's definitely earned it. 

• Members

I think CG could work, but she was much more interesting as a smart ass, sarcastic non-conformist.  Trying to turn Mariah into Cassie is a mistake.  She is attractive, but like someone else has said, not in the traditional soap mold.  If they were to cast a similar male part, it could work.  But that's just my two cents.

Today's show was a complete and utter train wreck.  That cat fight was horrible.  Jordan the ex-mastermind passport maker was equally pathetic.  The scenes with him and Chelsea just had me thinking "why are either of these people still in GC?". 

Back in the day, before network interference, new characters were allowed to develop.  Not all of them were popular right away, but the TPTB had a story for them and they kept them in the story and developed their throughline.  The characters of Jordan and Scott are glaring examples of what happens once they stray into stories that make no sense with other characters in an effort to "make them work".  @ajsp35801 is right - I think SSM has other people sticking their noses into the mix and it is getting everything fuckd up.  It's pathetic.  Have they even explored Jordan and Lily's history?  Why the hell was that story dropped? 

If they want to write by committee, do what GL did in the early 90s.  4 head writers.  Fuc it.  That's probably the only example of a soap flourishing with that many HWs, but to hell with it.  Anyway, I have to stop.  I'm getting frustrated AF.

• Members

CG reminds me a lot of Tricia Cast. The biggest problem is (as many of you have already pointed out) Y&R has essentially made Mariah into NuCassie. It also doesn't help that (other than Devon & Scott) the majority of men on the show are either way too old for or directly related to Mariah.

CG possesses a certain amount of sex appeal but (like you said) she (like ED) can't be dropped into arbitrary pairings.

There needs to be a level of consideration for her pairings which no longer exists in present day soaps so for her to land a successful pairing will largely depend on the off chance she has chemistry with whichever actor Y&R sticks her with after Devon. 

Until Y&R decided three was too many, totally ruined one, turned another into a semi-eunuch and stuck to the 'there can only be two' rule for the next 20 years.

• Members

Maybe if the Writer's Rooms of these soaps were diverse, they wouldn't struggle so badly to establish new black characters. 

Yes, I know ratings are not what they used to be for primetime either but look at the top rated, most buzzed about primetime series- then look at their Writer's Rooms. They are way more diverse than any of today's remaining soaps.

• Members

Wow...I just fell of my chair.....LOL.  The catfight lasted all of what ...1 second cause I missed it at the beginning....Jordan is an awful character and the guy can't act. Chelsea isn't needed in the canvas.

Archived