Y&R: May 2017 Discussion Thread

• Replies 715
  • Created
  • Last Reply
  • Members

It most definitely could be MY driving some of these stories.  Regardless of whom is responsible - MY, SSM or some network meddler - they are going to have to start telling stories that people want to see with characters we care about.  

I'm assuming they've dropped the Lily Stalker story?  Or was it meant to only last a week?  

Please register in order to view this content

Cane's addiction and cheating with the therapist was another one dropped like a hot potato.  Lauren and Fenmore's was supposed to be something bigger, IMO.  It feels like that was dropped, I can't imagine that that was the story they wanted to tell.  

The only casting issue I have is with Jordan.  It's been well stated by others in this thread why he is a miss (as it stands now).  The other choices they have made with Reed, Zoe, Scott, Juliet - aren't bad IMO.  Their stories need work but the actors have potential.  Dude playing Scott is good looking and I dig the hair - why do y'all want him to cut it?!?!  Those curls??  Are you kidding me!!  

Sara Bibel's name is featured more prominently in the opening credits these days.  IMO, things started feeling "off" when I noticed her name popping up but that's just me.  I don't think it's a coincidence.

• Members

That Fenmore's story could have really been great. I was really into it. Then it just disappeared along with Lauren. 

I thought Sara was just the on site script editor. You think she's influencing these stories and direction? 

• Members

Honestly, I have no idea.  This latest round of changes we're seeing?  No, I don't think she is behind that.  This latest change is a huge shift in how the show feels and the stories it's trying to tell.

However, when she first joined, I started noticing these awkward story arcs (ramping up quickly or out of nowhere and wrapped up in a few weeks) and pacing problems.  It could be a coincidence but IDK seems fishy to me.  

Just sayin...

• Members

This still irks me!

It could have been/should have been a great storyline that could have lasted through the summer, with as many characters as were involved.

The struggles of the retail industry is an ongoing issue that is having very real consequences for the economy.

It's happening in real time and doing justice to the Fenmore's story would've gone a long time toward connecting Y&R with what it used to be so very good at- crafting great business stories.

WTF is Scott now being hired as a babysitter for Abby?  Couldn't Fenmore actually use his skills?

Anybody remember when I mentioned Scott being a Copywriter for Fenmore's? Why did Scott mention writing copy for Newman's??!

I don't care if Y&R borrows ideas but please get it right and use the words in a sensible context.

• Members

LMBO. They are watching you and never get it right. 

If Scott is going to work for a one if the major company's, it should be Fenmore's. Just goes to show that this show isn't interested in telling rich, well crafted, character driven drama. It's all about whose sexing who. Scott was a jounalist first off cause cause I'm convinced he was going to GC buzz to make it what Devon wanted it to be and date mariah. They decided on Sharon instead and then he became an FBI agent for ONE day. Now they switched to Abby and he's gonna be an exec at Newman when his own birthright is failing. This character is a mess!!! And all because they care more about who he's screwing than him. 

• Members

The saddest thing about Y&R these past several years is that it doesn't matter if it's a man (Pratt, Sheffer) or woman (MAB, Passanante, SS) the writing stays paternalistic and patronizing AF!

If Victor decided to get a 'plant' to babysit Abby when she first joined the company, it might make sense but after leaving her in charge as acting CEO, now Victor decides to hire a work babysitter for Abby?

All during today's episode, Scott appeared smug and snarky. So, the last two times they sat down together they talked as equals, Scott was respectful, Abby was left with a positive impression of him but now, out of nowhere, he's smirking about naked pictures of her on the Internet?  He already knew about her Naked Heiress days but all of a sudden, he's chiding her to keep her clothes on?? Wildly inconsistent characterizations here.

I get that they are trying to create a 'push-pull' dynamic between Abby & Scott but why didn't they start this from the first time they met? It seems schizophrenic now. It's just seems so forced!

They could still have done this without putting no corporate-experience-having Scott lord over Abby from a position of supposed superiority.

Scott really should've been working as a Copywriter, at Fenmore's where his Mother's struggling company could've used updated ad copy written from a fresh perspective. His 'run-ins' with Abby could've easily have occurred at the GCAC or Crimson Lights, similar to the way they positioned his 'run-ins' with Sharon (which seemed a lot less forced).

It's ironic that originally, I had hoped that Scott would eventually be paired with either Abby or Mariah but the writing is killing both prospects for me!

Speaking of Mariah, was it just me, or did anyone think there a point during her confrontation with Hilary where it looked as if both actress were suppressing the urge to burst out laughing?

The material is beneath both actresses' capabilities. I just can't take these scenes seriously.

Meanwhile Devon and Neil for once have a storyline with some heft. We get to see Devon grow and expand beyond who he's attached to romantically, yet romantic entanglements are all we see Hilary and Mariah being about-- so much so that they can't keep it off-air!

I continue to despise this whole GC Buzz idea-not only because I find it corny but now, it's just another means to infantilize yet more female characters, and infantilizing their female characters is one of the few things Y&R has become skilled at and consisten with-through several writing regimes over the past 9 years of stories.

Archived