Y&R: April 2017 Discussion Thread

• Replies 596
  • Created
  • Last Reply
  • Members

Devon has been written not to be interested either. Neil was trying to mentor him in at Jabot and Devon said business wasn't for him, he didn't like it, and quit. He was interested in music. If Devon can be written to suddenly be interested in business, the same can be done with Mac. Once her children are older she may want a career. It happens all the time. If not being interested in business at one time, is a disqualifier for Mac, it should be for Devon too.

Phillip had a serious drinking problem. Later we found out, (when he returned from the dead), what caused that problem, and why he faked his death & ran away. It was because he was gay. He was young, confused, and hurting. Homosexuality wasn't accepted, or understood, in the 80s like it is today. The suicide statistics for gay people back then was high. Phillip III felt horrible for hurting Jill/ & Kay so he sent Cane to be him before it all blew up.

Kay groomed Phillip III to run CI, and for all we know he is in business in Australia. If we are so interested in diversity in GC, why can't he exist on-screen? Y&R has ZERO gay characters, which is a little unrealistic these days.

Chance went to serve his country. If anything, that sets him up better than anyone else, to come home and run a corporation. Not every service member spends their life in the military. A large number of CEO's and Presidents served our country in their youth. Supposedly, he's now working in D.C. at the pentagon. That's one of the largest corporations there is, he could make an easy transition into Chancellor Industries

Jill ignored CI? Seriously? Kay kept her out!

Jill could work at Chancellor only when Kay allowed it. Which was when Jill was Kay's daughter.  After that she was constantly pleading w/Kay to run CI over Cane. Jill was the only one hoping to inherit Chancellor Industries from Kay. When she didn't get it she immediately went after it. Jill has been the only person, besides Cane, that has been interested in Chancellor Industries.

• Members

Aren't we on fake death #3? Wasn't there an explosion at the Club that killed Adam. I was during another hiatus back then so I'm not certain.

I'm not sure if even VR & MM returning could get me to watch this regime. I came back briefly for the Chloe stuff and realized after a week or so, I don't care what happens to anyone - not even Philly or my favs MM/CG. And then when I read the whole Bella thing was wrapped in 2 episodes after years of settting up, I knew SSM has no clue what's to do with the canvas 

• Members

Frankly, I have this same thought every time the subject comes up.  We live in a world where a p**** grabber is president, men like Roman Polanski, Woody Allen and Bill Cosby operated with no consequence for decades and are still adored by millions. Closer to home RKK was hired on another soap. It would not surprise me at all if the only thing standing between MM and a second chance is that a more powerful man (EB) won't allow it because he was disrespected.

• Members

Y&R has been so good through the years that it they never had to bring people back from the dead or make characters related out of the blue. In order to enjoy this show in 2017 I have to pretend that I don't remember that Jill is Lauren's sister, that Phillip III faked his death and has been living in Australia with his boyfriend and that Devon ended up being related to Kay through his long lost daddy who turned out to be Kay's long lost son who turned out to be Patch from DAYS for ten minutes. This stupidity belongs to other soaps, not Y&R.

Devon and Hilary's marriage problems would be a lot more interesting if he wasn't so rich. What if she was the ambitious one in the couple and he wanted to focus on his music? What if she ended up working with powerful men who were smitten by her while he was at home doing his thing or even raising their kid? Would she be able to resist them? 

And btw what happened to their amazing condo? That set was gorgeous. 

Oh and the last episode with everyone at Towers was fun. It reminded me of Douglas Marland's ATWT where different groups of people would have dinner or drinks in the same place at the same time.

• Members

As I watched Jack make the real estate deal to least the warehouse and then informed Ashley about the lab that he intended to build, I wondered whether Devon and Hillary's condo will now become Ashley's lab.

I thought about this exact same thing too when I was watching the scenes!

The main difference is that the camera work on Y&R was mainly static while the cameras on ATWT during Marland's time were roving and moving, giving the scenes a livelier effect, at times almost dizzying effect (I loved it!).*

*If you go back and look at some of the scenes at the Mona Lisa and other social events done around 86-90, a lot of those group scenes, the camera was on a continuous motion, which is more of a challenge, while the TOTT shots had a lot more cuts, which suggests heavier editing in post-production.*

I suspect it may have required more time, effort, cameras and more $$ during the Marland years to do continuous camera action though.

• Members

Yes EB talks about MM without giving his name savagely in his book. (Basically MM would take his parking space and other things.) He doesn't say crap about Bergman, beyond that the particular incident has a NDA so he can't go into details and other things were going on to make it happen. Otherwise he basically says that he and Bergman work differently, but can be professional with one another even if won't be friends.

• Members

MM said in an interview that there was a click at Y&R. And they voted for their friends in the Emmy nominations and not necessarily who was the better actor. He said that EB didn't take [!@#$%^&*] from anybody and neither does he. So I can see MM taking his parking spot and other stuff....LOL

Archived