Y&R: April 2017 Discussion Thread

• Members

I care. I've been watching since the beginning and plenty are familiar with the name Phillip Chancellor. Decades of story revolved around the death of Phillip Chancellor so plenty of viewers cared. 

There's something else that's synonymous with Katherine, her name is Jill.

Devon wasn't interested in Chancellor either. Heck he wasn't even interested in business. If he can change his mind so could the Phillips. 

• Replies 596
  • Created
  • Last Reply
  • Members

And that story went nowhere ... like most of Tucker's stories. 

MAB didn't know what the h*ll to do with that character. 

That's lovely that you've been watching from the start, but why give Jill the damn company when Jess Walton is on-air about 4 months of the year? That's ludicrous. 

And I doubt Phillip or Chance are returning anytime soon, so Devon should have Chancellor till they return. Point. Blank. Period. 

• Members

If Y&R were able to create a young white couple with this level of chemistry and as popular, now polarizing too, as Devon and Hilary with the female lead having Mishael Morgan's looks, acting ability, and charisma, it would have been centered around them after 3 months.  Just, look how many times they've tried to hand the show to HHK! 

• Members

It's an off-screen company and always has been. It's perfect for someone who's not on full time. Pratt was in the process of casting Chance Chancellor before JFP was let go. Sally made it Lauren's son, but they can bring back Chance, or even Phillip III anytime.

• Members

I know, but Kay got it back eventually. I don't understand your point. Mine was that Tucker didn't care about Chancellor, just hurting Kay. . Even when he and Kay kinda made up he didn't have interest in Chancellor.  His company is what meant something to him

• Members

I don't blame HHK though b/c I've felt she and her partners had the chemistry and charisma. It was the story where they lacked. I thought Austin/Summer was hot. Austin's backstory was stupid. Instead of having him latch onto Summer to get at Avery, who no one really cared for, he should've been made Sasha Green's son; he should've latched onto Summer in hope of figuring out if Phyllis truly kill his mother all those years ago, and used Summer to terrorize Phyllis while truly falling for her. 

The same could've been done with Summer/Kyle too. Right after they SORASed Kyle & Summer after Nikki killed Diane, they should've had Kyle schmooze up to Summer in an attempt to stick it to Nikki, who killed his mother. Overtime, Kyle should've turned Summer against her family before it all blew up in Kyle's face. That should've been their story. 

They dropped the ball with Luca/Summer too. This show just continuously drops the ball time and time again with younger characters. 

I don't remember Chancellor being offscreen at all. I can remember numerous times of Jill/Kay arguing on an actual set of Chancellors. 

Nice to hear that Pratt might've been in the process of recasting Chance, but it didn't come to fruition. They need to use the eggs already in the basket and have Devon find some way to strip the company from Jill. 

If Chancellor Industries is gonna be on the show, I need it to be providing conflict. Otherwise, don't mention it at all, and Jill, who I adore, can ride off into the sunset with the company. Devon having Chancellor provided conflict, which is what 99% of fans want. I don't give a damn if he's in no relation to Phillip; he can still run the company as he's an extension to Kay, who was married to him. That's not farfetched.

I don't know anything about that, but the character had all the potential in the world to become a mainstay/key player. It's sad how he went from them teasing him as some corporate tycoon/corporate raider to being a footnote in the Victor/Jack rivalry. I think it would've been so refreshing to add Tucker to the mix as a formidable opponent for both men. 

• Members

Technically, and I could be mistaken, but I believe Chancellor was started by Katherine's first husband Gary, and was originally called Reynolds Industries. I THINK, could be way off,that early in Y&R, that Brock was annoyed Kay changed the name to Chancellor. Soapcentral states that in their Katherine bio, but I don't know how accurate it is. 

• Members

I don't blame HHK. I was just pointing out the difference in how the show has continually tried to make a white version of what they already have. 

He ran the music division of CI. He quit after he found out Kay only created it for him because she knew he was her grandson and lied about it. Kay also said that she'd have asked Devon to run CI but she knew he had no interest in it. I can't recall whether it was Jack or Neil she was trying to get to run it for her at the time. 

According to all I've read, this is accurate. Phillip merved it with his company I do believe. 

• Members

Chancellor Industries made brief appearances here and there. Clearsprings, and when Kay & Jill became mother and daughter they set up a boardroom. They had Chancellor buy Jabot as a subsidiary. But most of the time it was offscreen. The Chancellor mansion was Kay & Jill's set. Their big stories took place there not in the office.

Chance could come to fruition tomorrow, or years down the line. It'd be short-sighted, well just plain stupid, for a soap to render a whole block of future stories impossible just because a certain character isn't on set today. An 80-year old classic character is returning next week for 3 months. Who would've thought?

Phillip Chancellor's name is as synonymous with Y&R as Kay Chancellor's name. Simply because one of them, in some form, was always around or being fought over. In the 70s-Phillip 2, in the 80s-Philip III, the 90s brought little Phillip IV/Chance. After that Cane was thought to be Phillip III, and after that the real Phillip Chancellor 3 returned gay. And then Chance Philip/IV returned from the service. I think he left in 2011, so it was maybe a six year drought until Jill's story about Phillip 2.  Anyway, lot's and lot's of Phillip through the years.

I don't see how Chancellor would have provided conflict for Devon given he wasn't interested in business or Chancellor Industries when Kay died. Cane was the one working there. She named him CEO in her will. Devon waking up the day Katherine died as a Tucker clone ready to take over CI would have been far fetched. 

Jill is still alive and she doesn't have to be blood to have things that Katherine once had. People can die and leave nothing to their blood relatives if they so choose.  Devon got more than his fair share out of Katherine compared to the other blood relatives, the argument he was entitled to more has no merit.

It was dialog at one time, stuff like that goes back and forth. It happens to everybody. The script writers don't always know the history. One day Nick and Victoria grew up together and were always close, the next year they talk about how they hardly knew each other because they were in aways in separate boarding schools.

The last dialog about it onscreen confirmed that Phillip founded CI. It was in a fight that Ashley had with Kay about Tucker.

From the Y&R transcript 8/11/11:

Ashley: You know what really gets me? You both know what it feels like to have a company you love ripped away from you, only it's much worse for Tucker, because our father started Jabot,  and Phillip started Chancellor, so basically, you both took over family businesses. But Tucker built McCall from the ground up, and you do not have the right to take it away from him.

Kay: Ashley, now you listen to me. Whoever founded the company is immaterial to me.

• Members

Exactly.

If this were about Brock, Mackenzie, Billy, Cane or even a pre-insane Chloe wanting to work at and/or run Chancellor? This wouldn't even be an issue.

3 months? Try three days.

Look how much story & airtime Scott has received & he's only been on the canvas for two months.

• Members

That's just not true. I would make the same argument for every one of them.

Jill being left out of it and Kay giving CI directly to the Phillip's would have also been fair.

I don't think there's a problem with Devon, or any of them, working at Chancellor if they wanted. Why would Jill care? But none of them wanted to. And no one here seems to think Devon should work under Jill, it has to be Neil. Why? Jill's just as capable.

I don't know what the problem is. They are giving Devon & Neil their own onscreen company with their names on it. It's the big story that's starting next week.

Archived