Bill Hayes Documentary: World by the Tail

• Members

https://vimeo.com/203413382

I encourage everyone who is a fan of Bill's to watch this documentary on his life. You'll see grand stars involved like Shirley MacLaine, Carl Reiner, and Florence Henderson. You'll see DAYS stars like Deidre Hall, Kristian Alfonso, and best friend Robert Clary. Many clips from his TV appearances, including from DAYS, of course.

I believe he could have been a big star if not for the selfless shift he decided to take in the late 60's. It shows what a true bonafide gentleman he always was and is. Personally, I love him like a family member; a grandpa or a great uncle. And if you watch, don't stop at the credits. There's still little anecdotes right through to the very end.

• Replies 12
  • Created
  • Last Reply
  • Members

It was just released pretty recently. They contacted me over 5 years ago for some info on Doug, so they certainly put quite a lot of time and effort into it! I haven't had time to watch it yet, but someone posted that I'm mentioned in the credits, so that's pretty cool. 

Please register in order to view this content

• 2 weeks later...
  • Members

I had no trouble at all viewing this wonderful documentary!  Thank you for  posting.  Bill truly has had a memorable life.  Sad about his daughter though.   I like that Carl Reiner,  Mel Brooks,  Judy Johnson,  Florence Henderson and a whole lot more made appearances.  It speaks volumes for him.  Be sure and watch the end credits for some more cool  clips.   It's interesting that Wes Kenney is the one really responsible for Bill getting the DOOL job as Betty Corday thought he was too old for the part. It sounds like Susan was smitten  with Bill from first sight.  I assume the HW that Bill and Susan was talking about from 1982 was Pat Falken Smith?  She is one HW you don't get cross with.  I knew that Bill and Susan didn't like playing the uptight parents role but as a kid back then I loved it all!   I have a couple of records by Bill that I drag out on occasion and listen too.  He has such a great voice.  They both are daytime royalty of the highest caliber. 

• Members

Pat Falken Smith had plans for Doug and Julie. She praised SSH and set up Stefano being smitten with Julie. They were going to fake a separation so Julie could turn to Stefano and uncover his secrets. Once PFS left the stories changed. I suspect that DePriest and Anderson didnt strictly follow PFS stories due to her penchant for lawsuits!

• Members

In their book, Bill and Susan said that Margaret DePriest was the writer who refused to write for them, after seeing them on a tv show during which they mentioned the lack of story for Doug and Julie.  Susan is referring to that incident in the documentary.

Archived