DAYS: Actor exit confirmed...

• Replies 21
  • Created
  • Last Reply
  • Members

I love A, too, but I never found his DAYS character interesting. Do any of you think he is typecast in soaps? None of his soap roles have gelled since Cruz Castillo. Anyway, A still has Longmire and his theatre work, so I'm not worried about him. As talented an actor he is and as charismatic a performer he is - even he couldn't make Eduardo work.

• Members

A isn't the problem

DAYS has a terrible track record of new characters. The trend continues.

It was time to clean house.

Nicole, Jade, Joey, Ciara, Eduardo (and likely Dario) are all going to be out. Am I missing anyone so far?

• Members

I was just coming in here to say that. A has never been able to recapture the magic on daytime that he had when he played Cruz. I think he's seriously outgrown the genre and needs to continue to do bigger, better things. Tying him to the flopping Hernandez clan was just detriment to his character from the start. His character just never served any purpose. Sucks b/c I do believe that he had good chemistry with Kate/Lauren Koslow.

I feel like Jordi Vilasuso ain't meshing well on this show either. I wouldn't be surprised if he was let go soon too.

• Members

I think there's still hope for Jordi. They just need to commit to making Dario an upstanding guy, instead of being a sometimes-conman, sometimes-brooding romantic. They can keep the aspect of his ties to the criminal world, but in terms of conning innnocent people out of money (i.e. Maggie), he needs an "aha" moment of redemption. But overall, I think there's still a place for Jordi on the canvas and hope he sticks around. 

Sadly, it IS pretty amazing how DAYS can take in so many soap vets that were successful in their previous roles, and turn them into one-note, poorly developed, and uncharacteristically uninteresting people. Jen Lilley was a rare exception to DAYS' curse for the past 6-7 years.

• Members

Which goes to show that the problem is not with the talented soap vets, but the writing (I think Ron Carlivati was OLTL's HW when A was on OLTL, and A's talent was also wasted there). How much turnover has there been in DAYS writers in the past decade?

A has many screen credits going back to the 1960s, but his signature role will always be Cruz. That's the character he won the Emmy for, and one of the few instances of a minority character being not only a lead but a well-written one. Cruz was a good and moral guy who still had flaws, but he wasn't a "redeemed" rapist or any of those stupid soap clichés. The days of soap heroes like that seem to be of a bygone era, which is really sad. It's equally sad - and infuriating - that Sonny Corinthos over at GH is considered the benchmark of a soap hero today.

• Members

I've heard rumblings Jordi is out as well but I don't know for sure. I think he was still taping in February. Not sure about this month, I haven't really researched. I'd imagine it's the type Ron gets rid of when he comes on, he's easily expendable. They've never bothered to actually develop Dario as a character so it's probably best they cut their losses. I like Jordi but yeah, he hasn't meshed well. Personally I'd take him over Galen Gering anyday. Gering is very likeable, and there was a brief period I actually liked Rafe (until Dena came back) but I don't know how he's lasted in daytime for 18 years.

• Members

And? Doesn't really negate the point and I'm not really trying to come for the actors but it's pretty obvious how many soap vets that have come and go in worthless roles. It's a mixture of fault between them and the show. Is what it is.

Also pretty sure Jordi is out as well ...

Archived