Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0
vetsoapfan

Agnes Nixon's autobiography

17 posts in this topic

On 3/19/2017 at 0:54 AM, amybrickwallace said:

I have not read the book yet, but I'd like to. I'm curious about the woman behind the legend and her family life.

The book left me with great admiration for Nixon as a person. I love biographies and autobiographies anyway, so even though I was disappointed with the relatively brief amount of time spent on the behind-the-soap-scenes material, the personal stuff was absorbing.

3 hours ago, YRBB said:

Oh, certainly not! That's not the impression I got. I doubt Nixon would be capable of something worthless. My main interest, however, would be the info and anecdotes you mention, so it sounds like it wouldn't give me what I'm looking for personally. 

I wanted both: soap opera information and Nixon's personal history, so I did feel that I got my money's worth in general. But as I mentioned in an earlier post, the book could have easily added another 50 pages at least to fill out the later years of Nixon's life and (particularly) her career.

3 hours ago, amybrickwallace said:

Does she go into her feud with Ellen Holly at all?

She does not even mention it. Nor does she mention anything about Brian Frons and how she was forced out of her own shows. The entire era of when the ABC serials fell into the toilet and were butchered by incompetent PTB is simply skipped over. At the end of the book, she briefly mentions that the soaps HAD been destroyed, and that she HAD been forced out, but nothing whatsoever about the how and the why. No specifics.

She also brings up a shocking story about what the executives at SEARCH FOR TOMORROW did to her. After detailing the unfortunate initial events, she goes back to writing about her personal life, without ever letting the reader know the outcome of the SFT drama. It left me very frustrated, considering there is absolutely no way for anyone to find out further details now, 66 years later. :(