YRBB

Y&R: March 2017 Discussion Thread

588 posts in this topic

5 hours ago, KMan101 said:

Exactly. It's not like CK is a strong actress. She's weak as well and after all these years she shouldn't be.

Preach!

I've long said I don't buy the 'rivalry' between Mariah and Hillary. Neither has a stone to throw at the other and I just think it looks petty on both of them. But there needs to be conflict on soaps! Jordan is snoozeville and Devon/Mariah have absolutely no chemistry IMHO. I also get the vibe Jordan is a secret creeper after Lily but maybe it's just the way the actor is coming across. IDK. He's not terrible but he isn't great either.

Of course, he's after Lily. The writing tells us that. They actually have some depth to their scenes. Writers are showing their hands. 

Obviously I know he's interested in her. I mean he probably hired that guy to stalk her and be her protector. I admit I haven't watched all of last week yet though.

7 hours ago, KMan101 said:

Obviously I know he's interested in her. I mean he probably hired that guy to stalk her and be her protector. I admit I haven't watched all of last week yet though.

I said that awhile back. Daniel 2.0!

Edited by MoTheGreat

3 hours ago, KMan101 said:

I don't think he hired the guy. 

1 hour ago, ajsp35801 said:

I don't think he hired the guy. 

Probably not but I was just getting an "off" vibe from the Jordan actor, but maybe it was just because he's not that great?

I think the writers should allow the actor to make adjustments to the dialogue the way Bill Bell let Victoria Rowell and Shemar Moore make adjustments to their dialogue. Jordan's lines are clunky as hell. The writers assume that this is the way a "cool Black guy type" should talk but it doesn't flow. The actor is no expert but he's definitely not being helped by the clunky dialogue.

1 hour ago, DramatistDreamer said:

I think the writers should allow the actor to make adjustments to the dialogue

Or just hire writers of color.

5 minutes ago, DeeeDee said:

Or just hire writers of color.

+1

But we know that won't happen. *sigh*

7 minutes ago, beebs said:

+1

But we know that won't happen. *sigh*

Exactly. I gave up hope of this ever happening, which is why I didn't mention it. For this, they'd have to go outside of the near-incestuous circle of hacks that get rotated in and out of every remaining daytime drama.

1 hour ago, KMan101 said:

Probably not but I was just getting an "off" vibe from the Jordan actor, but maybe it was just because he's not that great?

Correct. He was hired as a sex symbol and they give Jordan the depth of one. But I think he's getting better. If they would just let him be. Stop trying to make his character something he can't pull off. 

1 hour ago, DramatistDreamer said:

I think the writers should allow the actor to make adjustments to the dialogue the way Bill Bell let Victoria Rowell and Shemar Moore make adjustments to their dialogue. Jordan's lines are clunky as hell. The writers assume that this is the way a "cool Black guy type" should talk but it doesn't flow. The actor is no expert but he's definitely not being helped by the clunky dialogue.

It's not just him. They are doing it with that entire group. Devon talking about relationship statuses online. Hilary using terms like throw shade and clap back. It sounded unnatural from both. Especially MiM. 

Well, if Monday is a sign and they play the beats, it could have some momentum next week.

46 minutes ago, cassadine1991 said:

Did they only hire one: Susan Dansby?

Yup. Fill that quota. Token token token!

I remember Susan saying a year or so ago that she wasn't getting much work from #YR. But I think that has since changed. I see her name more as script writer nowadays.