Y&R: March 2017 Discussion Thread

• Members

ICAM.  DG is one of the worst on a show that has gradually lost it's best actors or ruined their characters with ridiculous story lines.  To make matters worse he's paired with CK who's untrained and has no acting experience outside this show.  She has some natural talent and she's gorgeous but she has no depth.  Maybe the writers got sick of writing for this pair that can't act their way out of a paper bag as my Mom likes to say.

Actors that have proven their chops to me over the years in one way or another are Sharon Case, MTS, Eric Braeden, Eileen Davidson (mostly with the baby death and baby stealing storylines) and I guess I could throw JM in there because he did a good job during the Cassie death.  And that's about it for who's on the canvas right now.  Which is why I don't watch although I still record it and try to watch on occasion.  The show needs a revamp/refresh and there's no excuse for not cleaning house and trying to save it.  Just because it's on daytime doesn't mean it has to be a piece of [!@#$%^&*].  People don't watch tv the way they used to, like when it's originally broadcast.  If the show was good it could have an audience surge of people watching at night or whenever they wanted.  At this point I can't see anyone going out of their way to watch what Y&R is putting out.

• Replies 587
  • Created
  • Last Reply
  • Members

The only time Lily and Cane are remotely interesting (when they have affairs) ... otherwise they're dull as dirt.  I actually liked the storyline when Lily boinked what's his name (was it Joe?)  they had  heat and for some reason he diffused her Valley Girl dialog...  But they flipped it and made him the  bad guy in it and she whined her way back to Cane.   I've never liked this Lily from the moment she hit the screen

• Members

Done with this week and watching Mon

Good week.

I liked the conflict between Nick and Chelsea. And of course as Chloe is about to get what she wants, the truth is about to come out.

Liking the stuff with Juliet.

And the potential organic conflict between Vicky/Abby.

• Members

I've decided for some reason, when cane and Lily divorce, that Cane will be paired with Abby. There is plenty story to mine there. Victor will hate this. She and Lily are friendly enough for their to be some  real friction. But they've got to start treating cane like the con social climber he is instead of the show's super hero. That'd be far more interesting. 

• Members

I think they will. The show seems committed to this failed Malcolm wannabe being on canvas ( but not enough to flesh him out). His only real option is Lily. So lily and cane will divorce to push that. They've been divorced before. It just didn't last long before they remarried. 

• Members

That's the way I feel about Hevon - it just feels like this is a shallow pause to lead them back to each other. Hence, why everyone is being so 'nice': Dariah 'let's be friends if it doesn't work out' Bordan/Devon chatting each other on the bench; etc. NO, NO, NO: I want Devon p.o.'d and annoyed with Bordan; Hilary should be seriously after Mariah (and vice versa). It's all too cordial and therefore, it's devoid of passion. I want Devon to let loose. (At least Hilary is doing it - but it also feels so forced.) 

• Members

I was just saying earlier in this thread how Devon and Jordan didn't have any passion or antagonism in their talk. They should have been close to blows. I don't know why the show insists on  playing them as friendly. It doesn't even work for the story the show is telling right now. Do they want Devon and Jordan as friends later on for the Lily/Jordan pairing or something?  

Hilary and Mariah are the only two having some conflict. But even it's not what it should be. When Mariah kissed Devon, Hilary should have went around that bar and drug her all through that place. Instead we get them throwing veiled barbs the next day. I just can't believe Hilary is allowing this girl to date her man? Why hasn't Hilary confronted Devon and accused him of intentionally trying to hurt her? This story writes itself. But, somehow, its not being written properly when it's the easiest drama to write. 

It might just be something to do until Hevon's divorce is final and Hilary find out she's pregnant. Let's see what May sweeps bring. 

• Members

I'm very late to the party but I'm really pleased with the closure Sally gave to Kay/Jill via Philip's ring. She wanted to achieve some kind of closure, which never happened after Jeanne died, and I think she accomplished it. 

I thought the use of flashbacks was effective and Jess Walton went for it. I'm glad she got to play those scenes.

I look forward to Jess's return in June. I hope fiery Jill returns too. 

• Members

I don't think Devon and Jordan are being played as friends at all. Could there be more animosity? Yes, but these guys were not friendly when they spoke in the park. 

And why why should Hillary start dragging Mariah for dating Devon? The barbs are there, so we get it. Face it, Hillary just DIVORCED Devon. She has no right to drag Mariah anywhere, just as Devon has no right to question Jordan about dating Hillary.

You guys can drag CK all you want. I like the actress and think she plays Lily well -- certainly better than DG plays Cane.

Once again, I'm smh at posters calling for a complete revamp/refresh of the show. Not only will that never happen, but nobody wants to see that.

You cannot dump most of a soap opera cast and expect success with what you put on the screen. You cannot throw away all that history and the time viewers have invested in not only the characters, but the actors playing them. 

• Members

Because it's a daytime soap opera and conflict is a big part of that. Hilary should accuse Mariah of wanting Devon all along. Wonder how long things had been going on?  That's a very realistic beat to play. But instead we get Mariah needling hilary about having her husband when she doesnt yet while Hilary pretends not to care. And saint Mariah as Devon's protector over evil Hilary moving on. This is half ass with very little conflict other than the rivalry between the ladies, which is all tptb seem to care about. They definitely don't care about building the relationship for Devon/Mariah nor jordan/Hilary. There has been no effort gone into these pairings. 

• Members

Exactly. It's not like CK is a strong actress. She's weak as well and after all these years she shouldn't be.

Preach!

I've long said I don't buy the 'rivalry' between Mariah and Hillary. Neither has a stone to throw at the other and I just think it looks petty on both of them. But there needs to be conflict on soaps! Jordan is snoozeville and Devon/Mariah have absolutely no chemistry IMHO. I also get the vibe Jordan is a secret creeper after Lily but maybe it's just the way the actor is coming across. IDK. He's not terrible but he isn't great either.

Archived